Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Police Officer Shot in Corktown... by herself? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story's been changing all day. At first they wrote that she said it was her husband, who's also a cop. Now they say she shot herself.
... she's apparently now died from the wound.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070119/UPDAT E/701190441

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070119/NEWS01/ 70119017

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Officer came to work this morning and was, uncharacteristically, emotionally distressed. She left early and was, I have heard, on the phone with her husband when the weapon fired.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl and his friends must have been having a field day on the freep forum...

http://forums.freep.com/viewto pic.php?t=12100

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Channel 4 said the husband shot her?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7912
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was merely an early suspicion.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

such disinformation and misinformation as the detroit media scrambles over a story. More of the "if it bleeds it leads" news stories we have come to expect. sigh.....if only they would get so excited for new business openings and the resurgency and comeback of this great city.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. An incident like this one occurs, but somehow, the lead story on the 6:00 news is about the paltry dusting of snow currently falling on our fair city. Unless it's a truly mind-blowing blizzard, how is it news? This is Michigan in January, forcryinoutloud.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably a good thing that the local media didn't have it as their lead story; no need to focus on more crime stories. I posted this on another thread the other day. I think that the author does a good job with the facts and saying what we all see in our heads in a concise way:

"An average of 28.5 percent of total news time was devoted to crime alone, and 53.8 percent covered stories of crime, war, or disaster..."

"Crime and destruction have come to dominate both national and local programming. According to the Center for Media and Public Affairs, the 1993 national evening broadcasts of ABC, NBC, and CBS contained 1,632 crime stories, up 208 percent from the previous year. Meanwhile, the violent and nonviolent crime rates on American streets have declined since the early 1980s…Local stations pushed toward crime coverage because it represents attention-grabbing material while requiring little or no labor costs spent on background research and because crimes sensationalism garners high Nielson ratings…According to Minnesota Planning, metropolitan [Twin Cities] residents do not generally have high levels of exposure to crime. They are therefore likely to turn to media for information about the issue. Minnesota Planning found in 1994 that residents…held expectations of victimization that were in some cases more than six times their true likelihood of victimization. The disproportionate levels of crime covered by television news programs, then, are significant not only in their large audience and skewed coverage, but in their ability to form perceptions and set the public agenda” (p. 22-24).

Orfield, Myron. Metropolitics: A Regional Agenda for Community and Stability. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1997

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that area qualifies for being in Corktown. I lived in Corktown for ten years.

Someone might want to check out a Corktown map.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"behind the old Michigan Central Depot in Detroit" http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070119/NEWS01/ 70119017

That would be part of Mexicantown: front and east of Michigan Central is Corktown, but behind, Mexicatown. Ppl forget that Mexicantown crosses I-75 at vernor to the area immediately behind MCS after all.

Gannon

Post Number: 7922
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noticed the Geodesic dome structures were for sale there last week...on whatever street drives under the MCD tracks, Bagley?!

Still shaking my head at this horrible end to what looked to be a marital dispute, and the fact that if she didn't hit an artery she died a very painful death.

The whole thing is disturbing to me...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

newsies never like covering suicides

Gannon

Post Number: 7926
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this was a very botched job at framing her husband for her wound.

As IF she thought she'd survive a close-range gunshot to the abdomen...but she was blaming her husband when she got to the hospital, or on the way there.

THAT'S where the news picked up on that angle.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that doesn't ring true Gannon - he was the one who left the house, he was on duty at the time

guilt tripping him maybe, but not framing him

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That short street is named Johnson. It's almost on top of a police precinct. Was that the one where she (they) worked?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a DetroitYES! murder investigation is about to get started on this thread! Murder or suicide; who was there when it happened? What were the victims last words? Stay tuned, the clues are coming out.

Gannon

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one of the newly-closed ones, Livernoisyard...as far as I know.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the one closed in SW Detroit not too long ago was on Fort, and they moved to Vernor. Glad I don't need the cops. I wouldn't literally know which way to turn...

Maybe there are more closed precincts than I thought.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last restructuring got rid of the precincts and gave birth to districts. There are six districts. There were 12 precincts (13 until the one in SW was closed).

The Southwestern District is comprised of the former second, third and fourth precincts. Its housed at the new public safety supercenter right off I-75 at Fort and Lansing. The building also houses Engine 27, Ladder 8 and Chief 7, which moved from a 100-plus-year-old firehouse on Junction a few months ago.

As for the new district system, there's this from rumor central.
quote:

Precincts re-opening
This is looking more and more like an unavoidable fact considering the challenges facing the police department and the amount of crime in the city. The hard part will be getting the decision makers to admit they made a mistake when they consolidated the precincts into districts. We do hear that a new academy class may began sometime this year, which will be a welcomed event.
http://www.firejerryo.com/

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny how i saw this while in chicago on a cnn breaking news story that stated "detroit police officer was shot on the corner or johnson and vernon".

they never bothered to go back and clarify the story after finding out that it was all just an accident.

the media just loves to have a field day with detroit.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did CNN say VernoN?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't put it past CNN...

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was wrong with what cnn broadcast? Was there not a police officer shot at that location? Is it not true that even here in detroit it was uncertain how the officer was shot? Are any news sources supposed to have all the details on a breaking story?

You all are neurotic.A cop was shot in detroit and cnn broadcast that ___________ time to adjust your anti-paranoia meds.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, when a cop gets shot in another city, you usually don't hear about it. And plus, the street is Vernor, not VernoN. Never put it past CNN. At least FOX didn't get hold of it (as far as I know).

Citylover

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for god sakes spare me scs100. The goddamned detroit media can't get street names and locations correct half the time. And because you don't hear cnn or fox or abc or whoever broadcast cops getting shot in other cities that means they don't broadcast it? Are you so egotistical about Detroit that you really think anyone is out to get detroit..........especially national media?___________ it is really time to adjust your anti-paranoia meds.

Scs100

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not egotistical, I'm just saying that it isn't common. Illwill made a good point. The media just doesn't care.

Citylover

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't care about what? That they said Vernon rather then Vernor? Is that really relevant to the topic? Would it be likely that someone in Detroit might deduce that it was Vernor? And what exactly does the media not care about? Surely you can't mean something as trivial as a one letter mistake on a street name.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the whole point is that this is a very tragic and sad situation. The police woman had two daughters who have lost their mother. No one in that family will ever be the same again.

Citylover

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for bringing that out Yvette.I don't live in Detroit so I don't know why this shit irks me so much but leave it to dyes forumers to make the issue whether or not cnn or some other media is getting it absolutely right when reporting on detroit. It makes me wonder what forumers really think of longtime detroit residents not just the transplanted downtown crowd.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not that one has anything to do with the other

Scs100

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the not following up. But it doesnt matter anymore. What's done is done.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. An incident like this one occurs, but somehow, the lead story on the 6:00 news is about the paltry dusting of snow currently falling on our fair city. Unless it's a truly mind-blowing blizzard, how is it news?

Not that the snow story was worth reporting, but how is a suicide a top news story?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.