Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » ENOUGH with the Sinkhole, already! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7890
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Amy Miller is a nice woman, but can we end with the drive-time warnings about that sinkhole at Middlebelt and 14 Mile on WDET?!

She's having TOO much fun saying it every fifteen minutes, and it is beyond annoying after a few days.

Anyone who hasn't heard about it by now deserves to drive into it.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right on with that one. That sinkhole is getting so much coverage, you would swear that a schoolbus teeming with children had disappeared into it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i simply don't like amy miller, always stumbling over her lines, and she sounds like she should get herself down to one pack of Dorals a day.

and don't get me started on noah ovshinskey's completely inaudible voice. speak up and put some inflection into it already!

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 19, 2007)

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep waiting for Amy Miller to obtain the experience to quit fumbling her lines but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Gannon

Post Number: 7898
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy on her there, even Jelk had trouble reading with feeling. At least he knew how to pronounce street and county names, though.

I just cannot help but think I'm getting dumber listening to WDET's news now. It really is a shame what they did to that newsroom.

It might've been the last one left in the state.

Gannon

Post Number: 7899
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The underlying story of the sinkhole is WAY more important. Has anyone really looked into this sinkhole?!

The gradual erosion of infrastructure built largely through the lowest bidder will cause many more sinkholes in our American future.

EVERY time I drive over the Zilwaukee or Rouge I-75 bridges, I keep an eye on the traffic way ahead of me...knowing that some major failure is likely on either.

They finally went and fixed all the standard viaducts and bridges over our interstate highway system...after stuff started failing miserably.

I still laugh about all the fencing that was put up on our bridges...when the falling concrete was off the structures themselves! At least the freeway bloggers can use 'em for their styrofoam cup messages.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Livonia started slant-digging...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11155
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Easy on her there, even Jelk had trouble reading with feeling.

NOT JELK! NOT THE ELITIST! He has no faults, is well educated, has a high IQ, has culture, and all that stuff....just ask him. He doesn't drink beer with no low brow folks either, as that is not his style. LOL

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 913
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, the sinkhole is of vital importance because I work near it and it affects my commute. :-)

There are a lot of stupid drivers around here, they just might need that many reminders.

(Message edited by Pam on January 19, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe Livonia started slant-digging..."

LOLOLOL. Nice tie-in.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy now Sport...

At least you and Jelk aren't Karl Republicans now...

lol

Gannon

Post Number: 7909
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back off, Sport!

I shouldn't have even brought it up, because you and he are apparently in some protracted lover's quarrel.

Jelk just didn't read on-air with inflection...it was only bad when he knew he was on the hotseat after Craig decided to leave.

Jelk is a wonderful journalist, someone very much needed in our age. Ethical, worldly, aware, and smart.

WDET would do well to re-hire him...I keep saying that poor Quinn desperately needs intellectual company, I think the most uplifting thing he can do NOW in the station is take another smoke break.

Gannon

Post Number: 7910
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

Yeah, but they could amend the road report with a simple tagline like...keep avoiding the intersection of 14 Mile and Middlebelt.

I am just tired, I guess, of hearing Amy Miller say the word 'sinkhole'.

How often do they announce the interstate road closings during construction? I hear it once and stay away until I hear the all clear.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah gannon, i totally agree. hearing the same drawn out explaination of every construction closeur every nine minutes over the course of every day, week, or even month it is in effect is excrutiating to say the least, and probably takes time away from more random and urgent closeurs

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an interesting show on these types of sinkholes. Discovery Channel's Engineering Disasters I think it was. They are caused by leaky storm sewer pipes that constantly liquify the area around them and then vacuum the moistened soil back in through the same leaks during heavy flows. I was surprised it occurred during the colder weather and not the rainy Summer season. As far as Amy Miller goes, it gives her something else to repeat besides Hines Drive closures as nauseum.

Gannon

Post Number: 7911
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing, questions about Hines Drive are apparently the most popular Detroit ones asked by from our friends to the south when they call in pledges to the station.

"What the hell is Hines Drive, and why does it flood so damn much?!"

Cannot remember where I heard that, it might've been from Caryn Mathes when she was managing the station. Good times, then.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good times indeed!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy Miller drives me craZy every morning!! Stumble Bumble and hesitation throughout her delivery. Usually switch to WUOM after the first sinkhole update.
Noah O sux in his own way, is he a 17 yr. old intern or what? Maybe a Specks Howard dropout needs a job, start interviewing for some new talent. Have been waiting to share this,(end of rant).

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning it's called a "surface collapse."

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know, she also spoke a little more slowley and smoothly....i wonder if she was tipped off to this thread :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7952
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ALL good, any feedback loop information...taken in the right spirit...is useful for personal growth.

Is it MY turn to say I think she smoked less this weekend and sounds SMOOTHER, too?! Heh!

WDET's newsroom keeps an eye on this board...NOT why I started the thread. I needed to vent, this place always seems like a decent place for it.

I could say the same thing the same way to everyone I crossed paths with in real life and not get a single understanding, positive response...and if I dared say anything like this directly to the individuals the effects would've been tempered by pride and they'd be forced to defend themselves.

Cheers into the most important Monday of the week!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i meant smoother as in not sounding rushed to the point of stumbling on the words, in effect, a little more fluid ;)

Gannon

Post Number: 7956
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Gravity, didn't even realize I'd used the same term. How about silkier?! Nah, that just doesn't quite get it.

I'm telling you, she sounds like...wait a minute! That last one was a recorded voice-over. OK, perhaps we helped HER out of a funk...because she certainly has more spunk this morning. According to the comparison to that older voice-over, she's back to her best form today.

I'd bet that more than a few of ya would get weak-kneed if she whispered some choice words in your ear at a pick-up joint...I'm sure she can turn on the sultry-temptress voice at will.

Gannon

Post Number: 7957
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Jelk just lost a good breakfast.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4197
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just cannot help but think I'm getting dumber listening to WDET's news now. It really is a shame what they did to that newsroom.

It might've been the last one left in the state.

Jerome Vaughn runs a good shop at WUOM in Ann Arbor. And despite my own...umm...bitterness toward WDET, Quinn Klinefelter is second to none covering city government.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard that the dumb thing may be over tomorrow. Might be the end of of our problems with that thing. :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All fixed, road open this morn.

Gannon

Post Number: 7980
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notice Amy's little emphasis when she said the word during her near 8 o'clock road report this morning?!

Hi, Amy!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.