Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » detroit on the 1st 48 right now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on A&E

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That street looked oddly familiar.

Citylover

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that don't know the first 48 is an A&E show that shadows various big city homicide squads as they attempt to solve homicides and then apprehend suspected murderers. Being only an hour long it is not likely to know all the facts of a case.

In a way the show humanizes things.It is reassuring to see in Detroit and other places as well men and woman really caring about what they do; or at least it looks that way on t.v.

In the Detroit case the accused shot a couple guys in a truck at Mack/Seyburn. I alwys want to scream at the t.v. ......"Don't talk get a lawyer"........ at the accused. Not because I am for scamming the system but because it is a specialized arena and if one does not know the culture of that specialized arena things can be much worse than neccesary.The cops are very good i.e. the homicide detectives are very good at coaxing...."get it off your chest".... " we'll go to bat for you"..... " if you were protecting yourself" all designed to get someone to confess with little intention of going to bat for anyone. Anyhow it was an interesting show.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up, CL. I heard about that incident when it happened (were both victims killed?) and I'd be interested in seeing that episode to see how the case progressed.

This is a link to the episode, unfortunately it doesn't look like it's being re-broadcast right away... http://www.aetv.com/the_first_ 48/first48_episode_guide.jsp?e pisode=206599

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 victim died as a result... Suspect is awaiting trial still. 61 yr old black male, lived in the neighborhood all his life, never cause too much of a problem. All the nieghbors apparently loved him. Police did recover dozens of guns inside his home

Citylover

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that you guys are aware of this case; I had not heard of it prior to the show.

The accused (61 yr old black male) claims he got a bad vibe from the guys in the truck so he shot into the truck or something to that affect.He did say that they never actually accosted or confronted him.It is rather murky as to why he fired a gun. The cops found a whole shitload of firearms and his house was surrounded by a fence of some kind.........the cops called it a fortress.Perhaps sport can go around to the house and get some pointers on security and guns.

The reason I mentioned it being wise to get a lawyer is the whole time this guy was being questioned he was thinking out loud that he should probably talk to someone ( a lawyer) and while the detective did not discourage it neither did she say or ask him again if he wanted a lawyer.I know there are a few attys on the forum so perhaps it won't make much difference for him in the long run.This guy was not the typical murder suspect from the times I have watched this particular show.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, CL, he even thought out loud about having an attorney after he admitted that he had been drinking. The detective simply said, well you could have a lawyer, but you are over 21..Its okay to drink, just tell me what happened....

Afterwards even the detective said that this was a sad and unusual case, because he seemed like a genuinely good guy with no previous trouble in the nieghborhood or anything like that

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the episode featuring the guy in Detroit who was found dead in the back seat of a Navigator?
If so, it's old news. This episode was first broadcast at least 6 months ago (good episode!). If not...well, just shut me the F up.

As an Editor at A&E Television Networks in NYC, I have to say that "The First 48" is an exceptionally well-crafted show, and one of the network's shining stars (I won't start to trash some of the 'other shows', but I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about -- a matter of taste I suppose). 48's produced by an independent Production company, funded by AETN.

As a native Detroiter, I always cringe when AETN decides to broadcast any Detroit-based content, as it's usually based in negativity (unless it's some ancient auto-related show on The History Channel -- part of the AETN family). "Detroit Swat" is another example. However, the Producers of both of these shows have made an effort to exhibit the 'human side' of the cops involved, as well as their family lives, so it's not all bad.

....Still doesn't make any out-of-state viewers want to move to Detroit though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.