Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Wayne County Maps Online « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a link to a site that has a map of Wayne County in the late 1800's when many of the original townships were still around. I cant find a map of Wayne county which shows where the old townships were exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give a shout out to Hornwrecker...I am pretty sure the master of maps can pull one out of his utility belt...:-)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Delray and parts of Northwest Detroit were townships back then. The city limit was Grand Blvd until early? nineteens?

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best that I can find is this low res version of an 1873 map of Wayne County, which I forgot where I got it from.

1873 Wayne Co, MI

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you may want to check out http://www.davidrumsey.com

there's a whole bunch of historical maps, including one of wayne county from 1873 that seems to have what you are looking for.

if you have google earth, some of this guy's maps are available in the latest version. quite an impressive collection.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, hornwrecker beat me to it. :-)

that's the same map as from david rumsey's site, but he has a high-res, zoomable version on his site.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Thanks that site is great I cant believe the fast responses

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that map, one can see the Zug "Island" peninsula before the Army Corps of Engineers excavated the Rouge River shortcut. Also the larger of the former creek beds are visible.

And also visible is the then major railroad track owned by the predecessor of the Pere Marquette RR running down Hammond Street near the Grand Trunk Junction (Junction street) connecting Detroit with Oak and Plymouth and other railroad towns which I cannot remember (Salem, perhaps?).

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3611
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Hornwrecker wouldnt let us down...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.