Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » James Couzen Parkway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in the history of the James Couzen Parkway, which was of course destroyed for a large section of the M-10 freeway (The Lodge).

Searching the archives, I can only find a couple of passing references:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/72751.html
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/43221.html

Michigan Highways has some information about the plans and construction of M-10:

http://www.michiganhighways.or g/listings/MichHwys10-19.html# M-010

I'm not really interested in what happened to turn the parkway into the freeway. I'm interested in how the parkway came about.

Gratiot went to Ft. Gratiot,
Grand River was the native route to what is now Lansing and Grand Rapids,
Michigan and Woodward were also Native American routes.

What about the other radial grand avenue?

Anybody know?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this helps. I was just looking at this earlier today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M -10_%28Michigan_highway%29

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link. That closely parallels the information on the Michigan Highways site.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a chapter on it in an out of print book about the whole process, possible alternative plans, residents and community groups' views, and etc. I can't recall which book it is from, but I'll research and report back. We used in a class at UDM and my stuff from school is back home up there in Detroit...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few things jog my memory. In the post-war forties, everything out Northwestern Highway (which is what James Couzens was called past Eight Mile) was all farm land. In fact, the site where Northland is today was a flat field favored by hobbyists with model airplanes...they were always flying them out there.

At Northwestern and Telegraph, at the northwest corner, was the original store of Dunham's sporting goods. Was just a small cinder block building, and their main attraction to me was that they sold live bait.

At the end of Northwestern Highway (at Orchard Lake Road) was a grocery store, "Brown's Groceries". It would be right in line with an imagined extention of the highway, which Dad thought was imminent, but which never came.

James Couzens itself, in the City, was a beautiful elm-tree lined parkway. Sure beat that ugly concrete canyon that is there now for looks.

Summertime meant a drive out that road every weekend to the lakes around Milford for decades for me. I think I can close my eyes and visualize every mile.

Sorry.....us old folks do ramble on, sometimes.........

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the resulted current concrete form of the freeway between like Wyoming and Eight Mile was what in the end they decided would work best. One of the concerns was trying to keep the original lanes of Couzens intact so the existing businesses would be accessible. Then they realized that they wouldn't be able to fit the lanes of the freeway in the existing median. The first plan was to have a double deck freeway with the bottom level being half way below grade and the top level half way above grade. This would then allow for landscaping between the street lanes and the freeway lanes. However, with this being the first proposal, the neighbors and businesses were automatically up in arms over it. Among the second proposal of plans was what we have today--the cantilevered plan. Interestingly enough if what we have today had been the first proposal, we might have ended up with the double deck freeway that I mentioned above. Now if only I can just find the chapter in that book...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4758
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew up hard by James Couzens Parkway. He rode his bike all the way out from Wyoming to Northland's opening in 1954. He rode his bike on the expressway lanes before traffic was allowed.

James Couzens was a wonderful blvd. with a huge median. The fine shops lined both sides and gave way to marvelous planted corners of flowers and trees. Incredible churches bought corners and built accordingly. W. Outer Dirve and James Couzens was a really fine spot. Wilson Dairy had part of that corner.

From Wyoming entrance to the new John C. Lodge Expressway, jjaba could get downtown in a zip. No lights, no traffic, no stops. It was open as jjaba was at Cass Tech. and if we drove, it trumped Grand River all to hell, even though Grand River had "progressive lights" and alternating lanes changed to handle the flow.

Quickly as teen drivers, we discovered on and off ramps like W. Seven Mile Rd. where you could run the exit and the entrance over Seven Mile Rd. at 55 MPH. You can still run it today. It is not recommended for suburban rookies or out-state rubes.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather tells me stories of drag racing his Mercury on Northwestern Hwy in the mid-40s. Said North of 8 Mile, it was empty farmland.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray and jjaba, thanks for the lucid and beautiful memories.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, let's call it by the right name, JAMES COUZENS HIGHWAY.

So, about James Couzens.

James Couzens was born in Chatham, Ontario, Aug. 26, 1872 and he died on Oct. 22, 1936 as a United States Senator. He is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Detroit.

He was Detroit's 50th Mayor, 1919-22.

Couzens moved to Detroit in 1890 and made money in a variety of businesses. He helped fund Henry Ford. He was an early believer in Ford and his inventions. Couzens rose to VP, and Genl. Mgr. of Ford.

In 1919, Ford bought Couzens out of the company and handed him a check for $35,000,000.

Couzens was the President of Detroit Bank and Detroit Trust, which later merged.

In 1913-15, he was Commissioner for Street Raiways and expanded the system all over town.

US Senator from Michigan as a Progressive Republican, 1922-36, he advocated for many reforms including public ownership of electric utilities.

Couzens donated $10,000,000 for the Michigan Childrens Fund to be used up in 25 years. It provided funds for free dental clinics and health clinics for the poor.

He donated the funds for Couzens Hall, UM Nursing residence.

With Henry Ford, he advocated and helped fund the 120 mile Overseas Highway to the Fla. Keys, with 51 bridges. Imagine how important that project was to America's development.

Couzen's son, Frank Couzens was Detroit Mayor 1934-38.

After James Couzens was Detroit Mayor and was on his way to US Senate, John C. Lodge was elected Mayor from 1922 off and on to 1929.

So naming this highway for John C. Lodge makes a lot of sense. Couzens-Lodge, two giants of Detroit.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well what is progress, growth or building a freeway?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jc

James Couzens.

Just noticed he died (Oct 22 1936) two days after I was born. I just checked my bank account. I am not his reincarnation. :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we can thank him for vetoing the subways in Detroit, in the 20's

Ray1936

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it fun to trace famous Detroiters via the U.S. Census reports (pay/subscription site, sorry).

James Couzens is not found in the 1900 census; perhaps he was still in Canada. In the 1910 Census, he lives at 80 Chandler in Detroit, and shows himself to be "Manager, Automobile Plant". The 1920 census locates him at 94 Longfellow, where he is now "Mayor, City of Detroit". And the most recent census available, that of 1930, has him at Long Lake Road (no address given) in Bloomfield Township, and he states he is a "U.S. Senator". Which he was. He places a value of his home at that time at $100,000, which, in 1930 dollars, ain't too shabby.

His wife's name is Margaret, and she appears with him throughout. There are three daughters and two sons (Frank and Homer).

(Message edited by Ray1936 on January 20, 2007)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was great debate as to whether to build a two tier roadway or what we have now.
The 2 proposed construction models.

Below

What we have now

above

what should have been built IMO

Jjaba

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, what you invested in deLorean instead of Ford?

We know this that James Couzens laughed all the way to HIS bank when Ford handed him a check for $35 Million.

Sorry to learn he didn't like subways. Well, think that had anything to do with his stock certificates at Fords? Such visionaries like this gave us the Detroit Ruins we know and love today. Pure and simple.

jjaba, Westsider on the Dexter bus.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sometimes you don't miss the bus. Sometimes it misses you."

Ray1936

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I borrowed a DeLorean from a guy named "Doc", and somehow ended up in the year 2037. Had a heck of a time getting back. Boy, you should see Detroit THEN!!!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could that double-decker crap have really been feasible? I'm glad they did not build it. Just think about how often the lower half would have to be closed in order to repair the top part. Also, how safe would it have been to drive on that lower half with the possibility of debris falling from the top? Just glad it never happened.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just think about how often the lower half would have to be closed in order to repair the top part. Also, how safe would it have been to drive on that lower half with the possibility of debris falling from the top?

I think the real problem is that the unbuilt design is just a big, scary, freeway wall. Can you imagine if Detroit had walls going up through its neighborhoods? Talk about dividing communities... A moat is not much better, but at least you can see across the thing.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like the launching ramps on the shoulders of the upper level on the twin deck design. It would launch cars 100 feet into the air rather then stopping them dead cold.
That would have given the kids something to look forward to on a Friday/Saturday night.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, thanks for the pics. So far as the launching ramps though, look at the far side to the right - it looks like there is the standard vertical wall before they hit the "launching ramp." those ramps probably just prevent water, snow, or anything else flying off the roadway from ending up in the trees or in one of the cars on the parkway.

One thing the cross-section doesn't answer, however, is how the twin deck design would have had traffic cross the freeway, say from cross roads or turnarounds. depress the bottom deck, and have the surface street run between the two freeway decks? it's the only realistic method i can think of.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could have built it like the Cypress Freeway in Oakland (destroyed in 1989) Both decks are stacked but elevated above the ground, so people can easily pass beneath. If necessary, a street can run beneath the whole length of the freeway requiring no demolition of surrounding structures except for ROW of ramps.

Yes, I know it was destroyed in an earthquake and there were structural problems to begin with, but the concept was good.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on the man and his abodes...a recent Forum thread discussing James Couzens' Wabeek mansion as well as noting his Boston-Edison home on Longfellow:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/87415.html?1163801 245

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah "Jjaba," I wouldn't necessarily say that Couzens didn't like subways--what he hated more was the DUR (Detroit United Railway), the privately owned streetcar company in operation at the time. His decision was more political and more in line with public opinion and the local press.

When Couzens ran for mayor in 1918, the DUR was despised by most Detroiters--a resentment which actually began nearly 30 years prior under Mayor Hazen Pingree. Couzens ran for office on a platform which advocated the elimination of the DUR. He vowed to Detroiters that he would run the DUR out of business. The press (led by The Detroit News) loved him, and he was elected mayor.

The Rapid Transit Study (completed in 1917) proposed the building of 65 miles of combined underground subways and elevated rail in Detroit. However, because of WW-!, the findings weren't released until later. By the time it was presented to the Common Council in 1919, Couzens had become the mayor. The problem with the subway proposal was that it recommended a joint City-DUR agreement, where the city would finance the building of the subway and regulate fares, while the DUR would operate the system. The city could use its share of the revenue to pay off the project, and maybe take over the entire operation at a latter time.

However, the DUR was the same company Couzens had just campaigned on to run out of town. Consequently, he vetoed a Common Council proposal to begin negotiations with the DUR which would have put the joint agreement plan into operation. An attempt by the Council to over-ride the veto lost by one vote. Couzens later presented an alternative plan which eventually resulted in the formation of the DSR and the take-over of the DUR.

For those who might be interested, more on this topic can be found at:
http://www.detroittransithisto ry.info/TheCityTakeover.html
(I do apologize for the rather long article on my site---I am working on ways to shorten it and others)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great information and site.

Shorten it? It's fine.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks "Jams" for the comments on my site -- I just tend to get long-winded at times. Consequently, the result is TMI

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of cool stuff in this thread, but unfortunately, my original question has not been answered.

Does anybody know anything about the original creation of the diagonal highway/parkway?

Was it used in colonial/native american times?
Was it a farm-market road created in the early 19th century?
Was it built in the original highway push before WWII?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question for the Detroit Detectives here: Ray mentions that Mr. Couzens lived at 94 Longfellow in 1920. I assume that was prior to the re-numbering of Detroit's street addresses?

The reason I ask is because in Kathleen's link to the earlier thread, Neilr mentions that the house sits on the NW corner of Longfellow and second facing the park. The current address of that residence is 610 longfellow, not 94 Longfellow. I presume it's the same house with a different address. Does that sound right?

I've been inside that house about 15 years ago and it is magnificent, I only wish I had known about its historical significance at the time.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, same house; your assumption is correct.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good question JSmyers I always wondered why they built it it just cuts right through the city but it appears it was planned before the city expanded. I found a plat that is in the linked image. THe plat is dated 1923 and shows northwestern highway on it. It was Greenfield Twp there then. ALot of the plats in that area are from the mid twenties but from the image you can see that there were almost no homes there by 1933? Why would they plat and not build even with roads there? I would imagine some people in the 1920s would want to move there but i guess not. in the 1949 aerial the whole area is almost built out by then. Anyways it appears that atleast the road was planned for since it is in this 1923 plat of the sub at curtis/couzens/schaefer. The road is also in other nearby subs platted around then.
IMAGE LINKhttp://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=b6ae8e44 36e8ecf76f0b0745b13d816d;med=1;q1=northwestern;rgn1=vm c_ti;size=20;c=vmc;lasttype=bo olean;view=entry;lastview=thum bnail;subview=detail;cc=vmc;en tryid=x-77356-und-6;viewid=773 56_6;start=1;resnum=20
SUBDIVISION LINK http://www.cis.state.mi.us/pla tmaps/dt_image.asp?BCC_SUBINDE X=18345

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corrected IMAGE LINK from above post

Looking at the 1932 aerial image and then comparing it to the 1923 subdivision plat tells me that the plat was later revised before Northwestern Hwy. was actually built. The plat has Northwestern Hwy. with a 106 ft. wide Right-Of-Way and Outer Drive with a 150 ft. ROW. The 1932 photo clearly shows that Northwestern was built as a boulevard, just like Outer Drive in the foreground, and they both would require a 150 ft. ROW.

Subdivision plats must go through the design and approval process with several different units of government before they are approved. It can take a full year before it is approved and then another year to get the utilities and roads built. Only then can the developer sell lots to builders, so the first housing construction tends to occur in the third year. My guess is that the Depression hit just as the subdivider completed the utilities and roads and there were no buyers for the lots until the late 1930's.

(Message edited by Mikeg on January 21, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The earliest map I have showing the Northwestern Highway is from 1923:

The next oldest map I have is from 1918, and it doesen't exist then. The earliest map I have showing it named as the James Couzens Highway is from 1947.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we still haven't answered jsmyers original question about why this odd-angled road was planned in the first place. It started (at Wyoming) in a non-important area, and it ended, eventually, at Orchard Lake Road, dead ending. Even if extended, it really doesn't lead you anywhere. Maybe around Milford somewhere, but Milford wasn't much more then than it is now.

I think it would take a ton of research reading newspaper microfilms for about a five year period to find some clues. (Don't look at ME!)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4763
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Ray1936 didn't grow up in the area, jjaba would have blasted his comment about "Non-importand area" of Detroit.

James Couzens Highway is a very important part of the expansion of the Great Metropolis, founded by, and platted by the great automobile moguls.
Land was unlimited, the carriage trade was greatly expanding to everybody, and there was the 1920 boomtimes. It would be correct that the area West of Wyoming was built mostly Post WWII after wartime profits were digested and the national economy picked up. East of Wyoming is much older, say 1905-20.

At the time.,Detroit is the 4th largest city, and a model of the automobile age, a model of the working man's dream of a single home with garage, a model of difference between the Midwest and the crowded Eastcoast.

To call it unimportant is to discount how Detroit influenced the rest of the World really. You can look at the LA Basin, at Las Vegas, or Phoenix, and see the more modern versions of the automobile's future today. NW Detroit, unimportant/ Yikes! What am I, chopped liver?

jjaba, Proudly Westside. (And all built of brick masonary.)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooops.....I phrased badly. Wyoming and Fenkell was well built up in the 1920's and it was important indeed to the City of Detroit. What I meant was that it was simply a residential area with no real commercial or industrial access needed at that time.

Ray, throwing himself in front of the Dexter bus.......

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You don't always miss the bus. Sometimes it misses you."

Royce

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any photos of the built up James Couzens Boulevard before it was "freewayed?"

Jjaba

Post Number: 4765
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, call it James Couzens Highway. Thanks.

Ray1936, put the gun back in holster. NW Detroit is full of industry. Nash Kelvinators, Massey Fergusons, John F. Ivory, Ford, GM, Chryslers, Detroit Diesel, Ethyl Corp., tank plants, Flint Ink, Micromatic Hone, Twin Pines Dairy, lumber yards, RR spurs and yards, Intervale Industrial District, Velvet Peanut butter, Shedd Bartusch, steel fab shops, tool and die shops, waste paper operations, etc.

Ray1936's call about Wyoming and Fenkell of the 1920s is right on the money. The anchor there of Westown Theater, Sanders, Kresges, & Tower Bowling made it a nice regional center.

That corner changed dramatically when The Lodge was punched through. East of Wyoming, the John C. Lodge Expressway slices right through an existing neighborhood. That ROW took out thousands of houses as it went East to Hamilton, and turning South at W. Davison.

jjaba, out the window on the Dexter bus.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is another aerial from 11.15.1929 of Wyoming and COuzens, it is clearly being built in this photo. YOu can see the bank that is at the corner of Wyoming and Puritan with the brass street names on the building. Wow what a different place it was!!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats up with Wyoming and Fenkel now?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4767
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Fareastsider. You are a credit to the Eastside, and there are damn few of you.

Fenkell and Wyoming today is mostly a freeway service zone and some bus stop retail. So we have Mc Donalds, gas stations, strip mall chinese, and the like. The corner is very tight with the expressway dominating everything. Not one of the aforementioned businesses are there today.

Back in the Ray1936-jjaba days, Wyoming buses were packed full every seven minutes with workers from Ford Rouge, Desotos, Chryslers, etc. Fenkell was a big crossing busline at the time too. So folks could shop on the transfer.

Hell, you can jump on John C. Lodge and be at 12 Mile Road in 5 minutes. That's how people shop who live on Wyoming and Fenkell now. The bus service is mosly a distant memory.

jjaba.

Royce

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, that picture shows a lot of open land. Do you have one from the late 40s or 50s?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an aerial from the DTE PHOTOS on Wayne states website
http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/wayne/1949/ha-18-51.p df

Link to the site with aerials from many years back to 1949 of all of SE MI <note> Very Addicting!
http://www.culma.wayne.edu/aer ial_photos/index.htm#detroit

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.