Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Drilling for "livonia" gold! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070118/NEW S02/70118016

quote:

The Livonia City Council has unanimously approved a plan to drill oil and natural gas wells in the city.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad I don't live there, even if the people around there do reap some benefit.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. The article says it will use "slant drilling" into Farmington Hills. Didn't that initiate Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in '91? Watch for Farmington Hills to start calling up the reserves........ :-)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mr. burns also used slant drilling to drill into springfield elemtary's deposits, which led to his shooting (and many hilarious consequences along the way)

Scs100

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait. So you're telling me that everyone in Livonia and Farmington Hills are going to join the army and turn yellow? :-)

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think that I could use slant drilling to go all the way from my house to Texas or Alaska? This way I could get their oil and not have to pay them for it. This is what is seems Livonia is doing. Doesn't the article say that the actual oil is in Farmington Hills?? Could someone please explain this to me...

Scs100

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't recommend it Jd. If you went to Texas, they'd probably shoot you. :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Directional drilling (sometimes known as slant drilling outside the oil industry) is the science of drilling non-vertical wells:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S lant_drilling

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to use slant drilling from my living room to the bar down the street and steal their Labatt's.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qouzl,
Yeah, i understand that part. What I want to know is how Livonia can authorize a well to take oil from under a property that is not in their city. This does not make sense to me.

Quozl

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mineral Rights ownership - Wayne County:

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spa tialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/owner ship_dnr/wayne_dnr_ownership.p df

Scs100

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll slant drill into my high school so I can skip class whenever I want. :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"mr. burns also used slant drilling to drill into springfield elemtary's[sic] deposits, which led to his shooting (and many hilarious consequences along the way)"

If I remember correctly, Mr. Burns set up a device to block the sun and it was alluded to that a disgruntled resident shot him over that. It was later revealed that he was shot by the baby for taking candy from her.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4590
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuel for its own bus system?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7875
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if slant SHOOTING worked for ol' Jed Clampitt, this should work for Livonia.

I could hardly believe they would only make $3 million over twenty years or so with the deal...seems low.

Cannot wait until rush hour is, uh, COMPLICATED by any sort of oil or gas mishap or fire in these drilling platforms in the middle of the I-275/M-10/I-696/I-96 mixing bowl.

Folks'll yearn for the day when it was merely a nature sanctuary, once they make it a barren wasteland.

It was always creepy driving through those old oil-well pumps, lazily teetering on both sides of La Cienega Boulevard whenever I had to drive south in Los Angeles to the airport or the ladyfriend's in Redondo Beach.

Quozl

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1970, hydrocarbon (oil and gas) production in Michigan took a giant leap forward with the discovery of the Niagara Trend. In the 1980's a similar discovery occurred when natural gas was hit in deeper strata known as the Prairie du Chien formation, and in the Antrim shale. These last two discoveries took Michigan’s gas production from 40 billion cu feet per year (1975) to 170 billion cu feet in 1990. In 1990, Michigan was the 16th largest oil producer and 13th largest gas producer in the US in 1994, and tops among midwestern states.

Petroleum and natural gas are trapped in various ways in sedimentary rock layers. The 14,000 ft of sedimentary rocks found on top of the Precambrian rocks in Michigan represent great potential for the accumulation of oil and gas. However, rocks that produce much of the petroleum and natural gas in other parts of the United States and the world---of the Mesozoic and Cenozoic eras---are largely absent from the Michigan geologic column. Thus, liquid fossil fuels in Michigan must come dominantly from the sandstones, limestones, and shales of the Paleozoic era.

Oil and gas originate when organic materials, trapped in ocean-bottom sediments, decompose within the rocks and form oozes and liquids known as hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons then migrate along and within permeable rock layers until they get to an area that is impermeable--areas called "traps".

One of the major oil and gas "traps" in southern Michigan is the Albion-Scippio Trend, in Jackson and Calhoun Counties (see map below). Other important structural traps include the Howell anticline and the Sanilac Fault.

At the edges of the Michigan Basin, many pinnacle reefs grew, formed and became buried. Today they are our major oil and gas production areas. In 1979, 55 of the 83 counties in Michigan were producers for petroleum---all of them were in the Lower Peninsula. In fact, only 13 counties in the Lower Peninsula produced no oil, and six counties produced over 1 million barrels. All of these six counties lie within the Niagaran-Silurian Reef system, which has been exploited since the late 1960s because improved technology and higher prices made greater profits possible, despite the considerable risk involved. Five of the six counties are in the northern Niagaran Reefs area---currently the most active oil and gas region in Michigan---where production began in 1969. Considerable amounts of oil and gas were sealed in the Niagaran Reefs, which formed along the edges of a salt sea that covered Michigan during the Silurian period. The pinnacle reefs were coral formations that long ago changed into porous, carbonate rock. They are isolated from one another and average from 100 to 200 acres in size: thus the search for them has resulted in a number of dry holes. The success rate has improved in recent years with better exploration and seismic testing methods. Improved pipe technology in the holes has also contributed to the increased success rate.

The annual oil production in Michigan has varied considerably since exploration began in 1920, and which formations have contributed to the total has varied as well---in 1979, the Silurian-Niagaran Reef accounted for 29 million barrels of the 35 million barrels produced. Gas production trends show similar fluctuations in the total produced and from which formations.

Michigan’s production of both represents only a small percentage of the state’s oil and gas needs, but there is considerable potential for further production in existing and new fields. Oil is known to lie under extensive areas of Lake Michigan, but there is little likelihood of drilling in the lake in the near future.

One of the most successful rock strata has been the Silurian-Niagaran dolomite beds and pinnacle reefs. Many of these wells are over 7000 feet below the surface. The Niagaran reef system encircles the lower peninsula. The counties with major oil production from this system are Manistee, Hillsdale, Otsego, Kalkaska, and Grand Traverse. Otsego led the state in oil production in 1994. Grand Traverse led in gas production in 1994. Historically, more oil has been produced from Hillsdale County than any other, due to the productive Albion-Scippio trend field there. This field is mostly dry now.

Scs100

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you summarize that?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're only doing this so they can feel more like 'real' Republicans...

Quozl

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo Koo Oil and Gas Deposits in Michigan.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People who own land atop the oil and gas reserves could receive up to $30,000, Baker said. West Bay would have to ask property owners along the well routes for permission to drill underneath their land.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070108/NEW S02/701080385/1004

Scs100

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Quozl.

Quozl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Scs.

Scs100

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually learned a lot of that in science last year. I just wasn't sure about all of the wells you were talking about.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I remember correctly, Mr. Burns set up a device to block the sun and it was alluded to that a disgruntled resident shot him over that. It was later revealed that he was shot by the baby for taking candy from her.

the slant drilling operation was just a primer for the sun blocker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W ho_Shot_Mr._Burns%3F

Quozl

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Kwame cannot have this West Bay Exploration drill through the urban wasteland to save Detroit of its financial woes. According to all my maps, nothing but salt down there, though there are a few oil deposits around Gratiot & Conner and west of Southfield Fwy in Warrendale.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I could hardly believe they would only make $3 million over twenty years or so with the deal...seems low."

Indeed...that's a drop in the bucket for a city that's is 36 square miles large and as industrialized as Livonia...

Livonia's annual tax revenues in alone are around a quarter of a billion $$$

Scs100

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Trainman,

Maybe the new oil well will make people want SMART back in Livonia.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7877
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the odds that they strike WATER for the NW suburbs instead?!

Next thing you know, we'll lose the Pepsi bottling plant.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely a good relation there.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black gold discover at Fascist Livonia. GOOD FOR THEM!!! That could used that revenue to bring back the SMART bus into their streets.

Scs100

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't I just say what Danny said?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, danny took what you put clearly and concisely and made it incoherent

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 18, 2007)

Scs100

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The heartbreak of closed head injuries.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.