Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shrine of the little flower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward at 12mile.Cant miss the phallic symbol. More likely a shrine to the controversial Father Coughlin, but an architecural masterpiece with a mini museum; wood,concrete and bronze sculptures and statues. There is a candle room with a waterfall. Im note a religious or spiritual man but always feel a great deal of peace and serenity whenever I visit the place. The Shrine is a must visit!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Coughlin

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the one with the Model T in part of the stained glass?

Didnt Coughlin hate Jews (like Ford)?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Coughlin's Antisemitism

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the partial cover and the table of contents from the March 28, 1938 issue of Fr. Coughlin's magazine, "Social Justice".

cover

t of c top

t of c bot

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My high school dance band played for the Shrine High junior prom in '53. Fr. Coughlin loved our version of "In the Mood", and told us that Glenn Miller made it a popular song during WW II. He was right.
As a kid, I can still remember my folks listening to his radio programs. To say that the padre was less than impressed with FDR is an understatement.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, comparing the structure of Shrine with a "phallic symbol" shows a new crudeness on The Forum and Terryh did not have to tell us that he was not a "religious or spiritual man".
That's rather evident.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

More likely a shrine to the controversial Father Coughlin, but an architecural masterpiece with a mini museum;

Who's also totally missing the point...

Mikeg

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine the indignant responses that would have been posted here if Terryh had instead written a similarly crude comment about one of these.

As Freud supposedly said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that the one with the Model T in part of the stained glass?"

No, that stained glass is in St. Martha's Anglican Church by Henry Ford's Grave.
See https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2002/west/07.htm and the two following pages for grave, church and stained glass.

MikeG, great image post. Thanks. "Inside Mr. Baruch's Cup". Is that a reference to famed Jewish financier Bernard Baruch? I really think Rush Limbaugh modeled himself on Coughlin, complete with his own publications, just refocussing his hatred on different targets.

Rock was in a band in 53? Wasn't that about the time 'Rock and Roll' started? I always wondered where that name came from. heh

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh is giving Chitaku some competition for Dumbest Post of 2007.

(Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:44 am: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Personally I am sick of this joke of a family, between their inept car company which has pretty much cost everyone their jobs, and their garbage football team who they seem to think is good, these folks need to go. I'm sick of them frollicking around this area with all of their money made from the blood of honest hard working Detroiters. I know some of the fam personally and am sick of watching them bail it out to Florida every year when it is cold while the people they laid off due to their inept decisions contemplates if they can pay their heat bill. I hate the Fords, leave town, sell the lions!!)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I think Terryh is right on the money.... I never noticed it before, but after just now studying a full page picture of the church tower (in Rediscovering Art DECO USA)... it does indeed very much resemble a phallus, including the mushroom top.

A coincidence? Or another Catholic priest run amok....

I hardly find this type of discussion blasphemous, in lieu of all the "bigotry money" that went into the church's construction...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some information on the architectural aspects of the church, which I'm sure were heavily influenced by Fr. Coughlin...

Fr. Charles Coughlin and Henry McGill
http://www.shrinechurch.com/to ur/view.asp?tour=yes&view=10

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've always considered the washington monument to be D.C's wang, why wouldn't the shrine be royal oaks?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that after Coughlin left Shrine it went through a transformation of sorts, much to the chagrin of some old line parishioners. Fr. James Hayes, a moderate, took over as pastor. Although not a dynamic speaker (and even being 100% opposed to Coughlin's right-wing leanings, I heard Coughlin speak and he was an eloquent orator), Fr. Hayes was the right man for the job at the time. Following Hayes, Shrine was guided by two young co-pastors, Fr. Ed Belczak and Fr. Ed Prus. They were as liberal as the church would allow and a refreshing change from the religious politics of pre-Vatican and Coughlin, offering folk masses and outdoor Summer services. It was interesting that at that time, in the 70's, the Shrine leadership had switched 180 degrees.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible that you people who consider the Shrine and the Washington Monument phallic symbols could use a little psychological counseling? Might help.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4589
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Coughlin must be spinning in his grave with the current pastorate and parish.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Shrine is a work beautiful craftsmanship. Just because the Vatican was built over time by the popes, some of whom make Coughlin look like an altar boy, doesn't diminish the art and craft that resulted. In the end they are all but forgotten and only the art remains."Ars longa, vita brevis"

The best story about the Shrine of the Little Flower was that Coughlin didn't win, the parish reformed, became what he would have despised and a beautiful monument was bequeathed to Detroit.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That cross lights up at night. Reminds me of the church grail sign in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Gistok

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that psychological counseling should be reserved for the more prudish folks, not the more liberated.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psychological counseling is not "reserved" for anyone. It is available to anyone who needs it, the prudish, liberated (whatever that means), environmentalists, preservationists, and Democrats.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on January 18, 2007)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see that my comment had the desired effect :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... but didn't you forget Republicans and businessmen? :-)

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine: so did mine.

Gistok: No. My post refers to people who need such counseling. (drumbeat/rimshot)

Enjoyed it guys. Can't let these threads get too serious.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents were married by Coughlin in 1932. My Mother lived to be 92 and never had a nice word to say about the man. Color character to say the least.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg where did you find that issue of Social Justice? I would love to read that mag!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wanna talk about a phallus --

Ironically, this is the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College. THey even had to paint the black "windows" because of complaints that it just looked like a giant penis.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the top of the wheaton college structure resembles a breast shooting milk into the heavens.

but,what REALLY looks phallic is a cow's teat. ever notice?

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Shrine is a must-see if you're a fan of Corrado Parducci. All the stations of the Cross, the bronze sculpture work, etc. are Parducci. Obviously Fr. Coughlin had a little cash to throw around.

Regardless of his detestable politics, the building itself was really ahead of its time in the world of church architecture. Having a completely circular worship space with the altar in the center was pretty radical in the '30s. Not until Vatican II in the 1960s did that style become somewhat more common. Even today it's worth the time to spend a few quiet minutes taking it all in.

Mikeg

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh,

It's part of my personal collection. Unfortunately, it is still in storage from a recent move (I had previously scanned the cover and table of contents prior to the move).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.