Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ice Rink at Campus Martius « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been told that the rink at CMP has more sq footage than the rink at Rockefeller Center. Can someone give me a source for this? I've skated both of them but never really payed attention to the size.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.tyjt.com/campus.htm

According to the website, it is larger. I found a thread on Google that said that the size isnt listed.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/87882.html

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Rink's website:
The Ice Rink at Rockefeller Center

Since it first opened on Christmas Day, 1936, the Rink has attracted over a quarter million people each year. The Rink is open from October to April. The skating surface is 122 feet long and 59 feet wide and can accommodate only 150 skaters at one time.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am checking out Rockfeller Center in a couple of weeks -- I will give you my impressions. :-)

Having only skated at CMP once, I have to say that the rink did seem fairly small (obviously it is nowhere near the size of an official NHL ice surface). However, the rink was also incredibly packed (which tends to make things appear smaller).

If Rockefeller's rink is smaller than CMP's, Rockfeller cannot be nearly as large as it seems on television....

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last year and it didn't seem that large. Millennium Park has a larger rink than Rockefeller. I believe that it is slightly longer (from impression). Just wait for Winterblast, it's going to be packed down there :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockefeller-is-much-smaller-th an-it-looks-on-tv

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockerfeller is a tiny rink, the atmosphere and history is the attraction. There is a much larger rink in Central Park, always busy.

I heart Campus Martius skating. The smilingest place in Detroit.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rink at Central Park is one of my favorite places in the world. The setting and activity cannot be beat.

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I don't post much, but I'm a daily lurker. Moved out here to metro New York from Detroit about 10 months ago. I just thought it was interesting that you all are talking about the skating rink at Rockefeller Center, because I was just there this past Saturday and I concur, it looks much bigger on television and in movies. I made that exact statement to my friends who took me there. I don't know the exact square footage, but it doesn't seem to be much bigger than Campus Martius if at all. But, I must say the atmosphere is wonderful. Can't wait to go skating there before winter (or whatever this is) is over.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread has got to be a guy thing--which one is bigger? Okay, I have skated in both, numerous times in Rockefeller Center, and can safely say that they are about the same size. The rink in CM may actually be a bit bigger but my guesstimate is: not by much. I agree with the above poster who stated the rink in Central Park is great. I agree and prefer that one over both.
They both have their pluses. The CM rink is less crowded, at least when I was there. And, the rink at RC is but a tiny portion of a great urban landscape. I enjoyed both.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the ARCHIVES. CMP is bigger. The exact square footage is stated in the thread.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going ice skating at CMP with my girl, followed by some stuffed grapeleaves and saganaki at the Pegasus is one of my favorite wintertime nights out. It is "the smilingest place in Detroit." :-)

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's why I love CM rink: It's a people magnet, everyone's smiling and having a good time, there's a great sound system, and it's just a beautiful urban scene all around. Plus, bad guys do not go ice skating. (Unless they're playing hockey, and that's at some other rink) Not to mention Border's right across the street and Coneys less than a block away. What's not to like?

I almost wish they had skating in the summer. I was talking to one of the guys setting it up when it first opened who told me that the same company operates ice rinks all over the world. They have one in Caracas Venezuela where you can skate outside in 90 degrees F weather.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, if you're looking for the "the smilingest place in Detroit." walk back on Monroe to Happy Cream for ice cream for your dessert. They are the nicest people in town and you will surely leave with a smile on your face.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Neilr, I'll remember that. But Ice Cream in winter? :P

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.