Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Let's hear it for Wayne State « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw in Crain's today that their Ph.D. nursing program is a top 5 in the nation and Wayne is considering a Ph.D. program in business.

In 'full disclosure' I have an undergrad in business from Wayne.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Now Wayne needs a D-I hoops program. I have done grad work at both CMU and EMU so maybe I could follow three hoop teams. ;-) and maybe they could come up with 24 wins total [3 teams combined. ;-) ]

Ah, can't get away from sports.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BSW Social Work program is #1 in the country, too.

--Amy P., future WSU MSW

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told that the Social Work program is the tops in the entire world. Is this correct? I know the curriculum is vastly different overseas, but in comparable programs there must me some way to measure this.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 748
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a student from Japan in my classes who came specifically to Wayne State for their social work program, but I don't know if an international ranking system exists.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been told that we have one of the three best Labor Relations programs in the nation. As a student in the MAIR programs (Master in industrial relations) I can definately back that up- I love the program. I have loved every class I have taken and have had top notch professors.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had courses in labor and industrial relations a long, long time ago. Remember the book on labor economics by Kahn.

One of Detroit's advantages (and Wayne's) is that the area was considered a fertile area to study labor relations with the experience of the Big Three and UAW.

I remember that everyone considered how "mature" the labor relations were compared to othe parts of the country which didn't have the long tradition and experience.

Without belaboring (how did "labor" get into that word) the point, Wayne really needs some national exposure which can come from a successful D-I hoops program.

Any university president will tell folks that collegiate sports are the window through which the nation sees a university.

I remember a department chair telling me 15 years ago that UNLV wasn't rated too highly academically. No one cared - they won back to back national championships with the Tark.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need a good all-around sports program in general to foster more on-campus spirit. It doesn't matter if its D-II...look at Grand Valley State and other similar schools around the country...they can still garner tons of interest. Granted that's football, and it is more critical to be in D-I for bball.

Wayne needs to move foward with the on-campus arena pronto.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMU Steve quoted "I remember a department chair telling me 15 years ago that UNLV wasn't rated too highly academically. No one cared - they won back to back national championships with the Tark."

UNLV only won 1 Championship and lost to DUke the following year, although the team that lost to Duke may have been the greatest team ever put together.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The times I spent at Wayne as an undergrad were great. I go there now and I am amazed at the changes.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news.

Wayne State's good news is Detroit's good news. Soon, it'll be time for them to build/buy their own stand alone Hospital like U of Mich.

(Message edited by Izzadore on January 16, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quoted from the commuter route page on a rant against LY.

Quote:
______________________________ ___
Wayne State has GREAT potential to be a large university. It is no longer a commuter school, and last I checked, had roughly the same standards for standardized testing in order to get in. So don't ever say never, LY.
______________________________ ____
I wrote that before seeing this post. Wayne is on a roll now!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wayne State has GREAT potential to be a large university. It is no longer a commuter school, and last I checked, had roughly the same standards for standardized testing in order to get in.

Who cares about its "large" size potential?

According to the US News, Wayne State is a fourth-tier university and is essentially unlisted among other Midwestern colleges, in case anybody wants to scan the various rankings.
quote:

U.S. News ranking: National Universities, fourth tier

Scs100

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Large in enrollment. And it can be a good school in itself. What do you want? Another U of M in Detroit? Or is a university that is getting better not good enough for you?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State Grad. Class of 1999 and proud. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3878
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now they need about 2 more parking garages added.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne-State-is-listed-on-Madde n-07

Scs100

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I think they were also listed on 2003.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a relatively recent CompSci masters grad from WSU, I have to wonder if the department has gotten around to getting accredited yet?

(I was frequently lonely in the classes, often being the only Detroit-area native in them).

The upshot of what I am saying here is that there are some programs at Wayne that are strong (law, medicine) and that energy, resources (and passion, of course) are being put into making them that way. But there are many more programs and departments there that are sub-par. Nobody in all my job travels cared (or seemed to notice) that I went to Wayne State University.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State University has a lot of potential to be a world-class university. Detroit needs this. This means business and neighborhood development in the area. This will also increase the likelihoood for a reliable mass transit system in the Woodward corridor. If my university (Northwestern) can have a reliable mass transit network system (train and shuttle) for students and faculty, so can Wayne State University.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't WSU listed by Carnegie-Mellon as a "Doctoral-Research" (I hope I have that term correct) institution?

That is an elite title for a U to have. I remember my dept. chair friend (another U) congratulating me that my WSU degree is now 'more valuable'.

I fully agree with the other posters that WSU is integral to the identity and success of Detroit.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4578
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about this wonderful part of WSU:

http://www.theatre.wayne.edu/h ilberry.php

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I dont know what the exact term is, but there are only three "research universities" in Michigan- UM, MSU, and WSU

Patrick

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Wayne State MLIS Grads?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5414
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY WAYNE STATE!!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne needs to do something to garner more attention among rankings services. While only a little stock should be put in these rankings, Wayne can attract a lot more out of staters by ranking higher. That fourth-tier ranking for undergrad belies the truth. Wayne has a faculty that is better than average for public schools, it is noted for research, is diverse, and has admissions standards which I believe are too low, but still aren't far removed from second-tier schools. I don't know what Wayne must do to get more respect, but grabbing attention through sports never hurts.

Patrick

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MLIS is ranked 18th out of probably 65 or so. It is the 4th or 5th largest in regards to electronic resources.

Any other Wayne rankings we know of?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, I dont know what the exact term is, but there are only three "research universities" in Michigan- UM, MSU, and WSU

And WMU.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State has pretty good fine arts program although I don't know any statistics. Its fine arts program is pretty well known in Michigan at least.

(Message edited by eastsidedog on January 16, 2007)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good catch, Focusonthed.

I thought Western had also gained the same designation as the other three mentioned but I didn't post it - I was pretty sure but not 100% sure.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU has always had a reputation for excellent medical/research programs. Their grad programs also are highly rated. Some of the other departments, not so much.

Anywhoo.... Go Warriors!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<- CULMA and Liberal Arts graduate.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO TARTARS!

Scs100

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tartars it was and Tartars it shall be (with me and some others at least).

Emu_steve

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know what plans, if any, Wayne has for a new basketball/hockey arena?

Do they plans to use some of their capital campaign monies?

Scs100

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they can talk to Illitch and together they can build a new arena in Foxtown for the Wings and Wayne State? :-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CIA loves Wayne State.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/re sume.html?p=Computer%20Enginee r%20Develop

Check out the dropdown of schools.

Patrick

Post Number: 3883
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CIA loves Wayne State cuz that's where they'll find the speakers of the Arabic language they so desperately need.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois Yard....

WSU has never participated actively in the US NEWS popularity contests, i.e. Rankings.

Go Tartars!!

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to the US News, Wayne State is a fourth-tier university and is essentially unlisted among other Midwestern colleges, in case anybody wants to scan the various rankings."

Oh well, I guess we better give up and just close the whole school down. It really hasn't had any positive effect on the city or on the neighborhood. Hell, let's burn down the whole fucking city and plow salt into the ground and never speak of this city again.

Good for Wayne State, it's a fine school that has had a wonderful effect on the city. I hope it keeps growing and helping the city and the region.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMU

here is the link to the proposal for the new hockey and basketball arena on the corner of warren and lodge freeway service drive. Its a 20 million dollar campaign to build the arenas. The article was written last year so I have not heard much beyond what has be written. anyway here it is.

http://www.southend.wayne.edu/ modules/news/article.php?story id=2109

Emu_steve

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, Wsukid.

BTW, I might be wrong but the urban school I think of as being similar to Wayne is Temple in Philly.

Hope it is a good comparison.

Matter of fact, Wayne has played Temple before in FB decades ago. I believe I might have attended that game.

Temple moved their athletics up; Wayne did not.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had great profs at Wayne. The undergrad student body leaves much to be desired. I did not have one class that didn't include a few students so ill-equipped for higher education that they slowed the class down in one way or another.

My fellow students were so miserable in one senior level class that I actually asked the professor if I could opt out of attending class and do some kind of independent study (say a paper on each weeks readings) instead. My professor said he sympathized with my frustration however he couldn't allow me to opt out of class because this was supposed to be seminar class with active student participation and I was the only student consistently participating. In other words, if I left there wouldn't be much of a class.

The irony was that the class material was outstanding as was the professor however it is hard to teach rocks.

If Wayne State's admission standards were just slightly stricter or the school was more aggressive in weeding students not capable of college level work, reducing the student population by 5-10% based upon merit, Wayne would be a far better institution for undergrad study.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or simply give the 'rocks' F's for sitting there nad not participating...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The typical failing grade in college since 1970 or so is a C. Ds are rare and Fs are usually only "awarded" for incompletes that subsequently lapse into Fs on account of zero work being done. So, more than likely the prof might give an incomplete. But otherwise, a C today is generally the equivalent to a very low D (or an actual F) from yesteryear when Ds and Fs were liberally awarded for low-quality work and back when a C was the typical, modal grade.

An anecdote, back during the 1960s at the Engineering College at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the median graduating overall GPA was somewhere between 2.1 and 2.2. That was the result of acquiring typically Cs in the engineering classes. Today, the same level of work brings a median overall GPA in the middle 3s, typically a very high B or an AB grade.

Arcas
Username: Arcas

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I think they just changed the incomplete policy at Wayne this past semester. Unfortunately, I can't quote the policy itself, but the gist of it is that 3/4 of the work of the course has to be completed first + a (really) good reason and a few other criteria before an incomplete is given. Otherwise it's the fat F.

----------------

As for my WSU story: After going to high school in this area a decade ago, and going off the MSU for the undergrad, I was dying to move back. That desire, combined with the presence of TechTown/NextEnergy and the fact that WSU is one of the few schools in the nation with a masters in my program (Alternative Energy Technology)... made the choice a no-brainer.

I can't wait to see what becomes of the TechTown project, and the South University Village project, and the building coming soon to Woodward-Palmer, and the continued rumors that 'something' will happen at the southwest corner of Woodward/Warren across from the Welcome Center.

It's already an amazing change from what it was 10 years ago, but this place will really be something to see in another 10-15.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMU

WSU is the second largest commuter campus in the country behind Temple. In fact we are very similar to one another. So much so that our former president David Adamany left WSU to go to temple. Of course we are trying to change that commuter status. But it is a work in progress.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Warriors (aka the artist formally known as Tartars)!!!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, WSUkid.

With the WSU's capital campaign I believe at something like 350M+ there is no reason not to be able to build an arena and go division I in hoops.

Even if WSU lost say 1M /year playing d-I hoops the PR of playing a d-I schedule would make that 'cheap marketing'. Doesn't Oakland get a lot of PR playing d-I hoops.

Temple is struggling (but might still turn the corner) in FB, but their hoops has been very successfully for many years.

Wayne should try to emulate them.

(Message edited by emu_steve on January 18, 2007)

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State Graduate - Master's Education

I love "the Harvard of the Midwest"

Erob

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harvard of the West, aka "Harvard Rejects"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.