Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Stan Wisniach, Detroit's TV Polka King, passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 524
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stan “Stosh” Wisniach, bandleader for WXYZ-TV’s "Club Polka", died on January 12 at the age of 83. Stosh was discovered in the early 1950s by WXYZ’s head of programming John Pival at the Tip-Top Inn on Detroit’s southwest side. The popular Polka show aired live on Friday nights and was hosted by Warren Michael Kelly. Stosh also made numerous appearances on Soupy Sales’ nighttime show "Soupy’s On!" as well as "Our Friend Harry" with Harry Jarkey.

wisniach

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing in the world happier than Polka music.

"In heaven, there is no beer.....that's why we drink it here......." o/~

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't agree with you more Ray1936.

"I wish I was single again... my pockets would jingle again"

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5412
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh those good ol' Detroit media programs from Soupy Sales to the Polka King Stan “Stosh” Wisniach. We will miss you. And the Street Prophets salute you.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's to Stosh and his accordian!

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stas's funeral was held today at Our Lady of Sorrows in Farmington. After the funeral Mass, my husband and I dropped in to a bagel shop in Farmington for lunch. As we sat there eating, my husband remarked about how nicely everything had been arranged, but that he'd kept wanting to hear music--it was a musician's funeral, after all. I told him that when I go, I want a Hungarian band, and a dance party afterwards. Just then we heard faint music start to play over the restaurant speakers, music that sounded like an accordion. As it grew more distinct there was no mistaking it--it was a single accordion, playing classics like "Spanish Eyes" and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." How odd, we thought, in a nondescript bagel shop in a strip mall, with no one but a couple of teenagers behind the counter controlling the selection of music. But when we recognized "Who Stole the Kiszka," it was too bizarre and I had to ask one of the workers what recording we were listening to. "I can't pronounce his last name, but his first name is Stas," the young lady answered. "He used to play here one Saturday a month." She, too, had just come from Stas's funeral. She was playing a recording of his first bagel shop gig (even at 83, he was still performing.) And so our call for music had been answered. We left after hearing Stas play "Blue Skirt Waltz" one last time, just as he'd played it at our wedding.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NICE story, Karenka! Thanks for sharing that!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.