Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tanning in or around CBD? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My lady goes tanning sometimes and has to go to GPP for the closest place she could find to tan. Anyone know of a place in or around CBD she could go to?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 752
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hart Plaza has a nice southern exposure.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Blondie

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could just lay on top of one of the steaming manhole covers. Turn every two minutes. Six minutes to medium rare, ten for well done.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still driving to the burbs. I think they may have a stand up at the Riverplace Health Club, and there is supposed to be a place opening up at Wayne. I think that some of the workout rooms in some of the lofts around here might have them, not sure.
I am very pale right now. It is sad.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are in the middle of January in Michigan. Why is it sad to be pale?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For certain obvious reasons there are just certain amenitities such as this that are going to be more difficult to find within the city of Detroit. It will make for an interesting turning point when a tanning salon opens.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like, when a tanning salon successfully stays open! As I stated in a previous thread, we wanted to open a salon in midtown, but the demographic wasn't there (this was 5 years ago).

btw, I think there is a tanning bed in the Embassy Suites fitness center that you may be able to get in to. I know there was one 4 years ago....

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 883
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to be pale.

http://www.skincancer.org/heal thy-skin/sunsmart-women/the-da ngers-of-tanning.html

Detroitduo

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wait for the skin cancer fanatics.

There is no solid proof tanning ("fake" or real) causes skin cancer. Besides, it's not the tanning that causes skin cancer, it's the BURNING! I think if you read your literature they discuss "Over Exposure" as a main cause.

The way I look at it is, to each his/her own and everything with MODERATION! If you are smart and take care of your skin and don't burn, you can have very healthy and pigmented skin.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I always wait for the skin cancer fanatics

Premature aging of the skin is also an issue.
See link. Btw how does offering a different viewpoint make me a "fanatic"?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am 50, never went to a tanning bed, never laid out in the sun, and had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face in December. The scar is about 1-1/4 long for a spot less that 1/16. It did not look like anything remotely like cancer. So i would say it is up to you, but i would think twice.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well as Chitaku said, he is trying to find a place for his lady friend (so don't critique him) and might as well keep the money in the D.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having owned a tanning salon, I am used to people with an alternate PoV informing me that I am killing people by offering such a product. So, therefore I have grouped all people with an anti-tanning PoV as fanatics. If that incorrectly describes you, then I apologize. I am used to people feeling the need to inform me about things I have done years of research on, already and them telling me I am wrong. Anyway, bringing your different PoV is welcome.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a word of warning to the ladies (if you don't already know) try not to over-expose your chest to the sun. That's how you get the saggies because the skin there is thinner than most other places on your body and sun damage makes it even thinner.

And I don't think any of us want the saggies. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.