Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Adultery could mean life, court finds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Adultery could mean life, court finds
That's what the law says in sex-drug case Cox appealed

January 15, 2007

BY BRIAN DICKERSON

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

In a ruling sure to make philandering spouses squirm, Michigan's second-highest court says that anyone involved in an extramarital fling can be prosecuted for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in prison.

"We cannot help but question whether the Legislature actually intended the result we reach here today," Judge William Murphy wrote in November for a unanimous Court of Appeals panel, "but we are curtailed by the language of the statute from reaching any other conclusion."

"Technically," he added, "any time a person engages in sexual penetration in an adulterous relationship, he or she is guilty of CSC I," the most serious sexual assault charge in Michigan's criminal code.

No one expects prosecutors to declare open season on cheating spouses. The ruling is especially awkward for Attorney General Mike Cox, whose office triggered it by successfully appealing a lower court's decision to drop CSC charges against a Charlevoix defendant. In November 2005, Cox confessed to an adulterous relationship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070115/COL 04/701150333/1001/BUSINESS05

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny! I have no sympathy for philanderers. My marriage was horrible, oppressive, punitive and petty, I suffered through it for 7 years though and did not sleep with another woman until after my divorce was final. But I also think more laws that bring the state into the bedroom would be bad too.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been cheated on before, and yeah it stinks. But life in prison seems a little harsh, no?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ever watch Cheaters? The deception these people employ on thier poor spouses or GF / BF is unfathomable. Then when they get caught they blame everyone from the person that commissioned the investigation to the TV show itself, but never themselves. Pathetic! I've always believed in honesty and integrity, if the person you are with no longer does it for you, and you are too immature / selfish to do something about it, you owe it to the individual to let them go and find someone else that will respect them.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its great! If you cannot be faithful then do not get married.

Dede313
Username: Dede313

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is very logical reasoning WalterWaves.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, as if we don't already have enough of a problem with letting thieves out of jail early because of full jails... let's fill up the jails even more with cheating spouses. That's just peachy.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let karma handle this, not the legal system.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me and my wife agree. if you can't be faithful then you belong in lake wobegone MN for life. Cox however would be a major environmental disaster for MN. but life would improve in MI if he was prosecuted.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5410
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Roman Empire. Caesar Augustus installed a morality laws making adultery illegal simular to the 4th Commandemant in the Bible "THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY."

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought csc1 was reserved for bastard pedophiles?
as far as I knew it was penetration of 13 and younger? csc2 13-15 csc3 16 and up wow god help the poor bastard that gets on that list for cheating

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... and Emperor Augustus's daughter Julia was the biggest slut in Rome. Ditto for others among his descendants (both male and female).

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the cheating spouse gets nothing in the divorce instead of prison? Hit 'em where it hurts - in the pocketbook.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.