Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

March down Woodward begins at 1:30 (program at Central United Methodist Church starts at noon). Come join us!

Some words from King on labor for you today:

"The labor movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress. Out of its bold struggles, economic and social reform gave birth to unemployment insurance, old-age pensions, government relief for the destitute and, above all, new wage levels that meant not mere survival but a tolerable life. The captains of industry did not lead this transformation; they resisted it until they were overcome. When in the thirties the wave of union organization crested over the nation, it carried to secure shores not only itself but the whole society."
—Speech to the state convention of the Illinois AFL-CIO, Oct. 7, 1965

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Darkness can not drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

-MLK

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The time is always right to do what is right."

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

RIP

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“I am not an optimist because I am not sure everything ends well. Nor am I a pessimist because I am not sure everything ends badly. I just carry hope in my heart. Hope is the feeling that life and work have meaning. And you can have it regardless of the state of the world that surrounds you. Life without hope is empty, boring and useless. I could not imagine that I could strive for something if I did not carry hope in me. It is as big a gift as life itself.”
-Vaclav Havel

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.