Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 51,000 opt out of Detroit schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this continues, we could find an entire generation of Detroit school children that get.... educated.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070115/SCHOO LS/701150362

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The solution is to break up the Detroit public schools -- into seven or eight smaller, more manageable districts with more active local oversight (and each with their own board of education).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah that's what we need; each with its own school board! Yea more politicians! I agree with breaking it up though...

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids are coming back to Detroit...after count days, as always. Just in the last month, I've had 9 students enroll in my classes, coming in from Charters or Private schools. I've heard other teachers saying the same things.

I am not saying that DPS is all wonderful and we don't need changes. We do, desperately! I think breaking up the district into smaller districts is a great idea. Each district could have one or two Board members to represent it and those Board members would be responsible, directly, for that district...financially and otherwise. Maybe then things might get done right. Doubt it, but there's hope.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who knows anything about charter schools in Michigan knows that the present state cap on charter schools limits charter-school participation. If that cap were lifted by the state legislature, then there would very likely be another mass exodus away from DPS and other public school districts to charter schools.

Furthermore, if another state-wide election were to be held about school choice (vouchers), it's possible that based on DPS and other school districts' track records and their lack of favor among the populace, that vouchers would also come onto the scene as yet another option, much to the chagrin of DPS and other dysfunctional school districts in Michigan.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS steals the future of Detroit's children by forcibly enslaving them to a corrupt and back-assward "school" system. As long as DPS exists, there will be absolutely NO hope for Detroit's children.

Dismantle DPS completely, now.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kids are coming back to Detroit...after count days, as always. Just in the last month, I've had 9 students enroll in my classes, coming in from Charters or Private schools. I've heard other teachers saying the same things.

Some of them are coming back to DPS. The majority, however, are not.
quote:

The solution is to break up the Detroit public schools -- into seven or eight smaller, more manageable districts with more active local oversight (and each with their own board of education).

DPS doesn't need to be broken up. The main issue, in my opinion, is to change the corporate culture within DPS.

Having more than 90% of students fail to meet the state's minimum standards for academic performance can no longer be viewed as acceptable. Not at any grade level or in any subject.

Also, there needs to be an acceptance of the fact that administrators, parents and teachers all have a responsibility for what happens in the classroom.

Until those two things happen, whether your keep the district in tact or break it into a series of smaller ones is little more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Universities are limited in number of charters they can have Livernois I don't think comm colleges are or public schools....

Fury you are describing charter schools.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Also, there needs to be an acceptance of the fact that administrators, parents and teachers all have a responsibility for what happens in the classroom.

Don't forget that STUDENTS also have a responsibility for what goes on in the classroom.

I have NO administrative support and very little parental support. It's just the kids (40+ of them everyday) and myself in that room for 55 minutes a day trudging along with the materials we have (not enough books or desks). I bring in what I can but one teacher (in my situation) can only do so much.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those bureaucrats in the Fisher Bldg and you have no administrative support, DT?
That's a shame. Do you think that the whole system should be dismantled?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had kids in the current DPS system, would you keep them there?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: Detroitteacher appears to be a talented, caring teacher who would like to do more for the kids but doesn't have sufficient resources of her own to do as much as she'd like. If I (or anyone on the forum) wanted to send her a few buck to be used fot the kids, could I/we send something to you to pass on to her?

Or, if there's an easier, more direct way, I'd be glad to hear about it. If Detroitteacher doesn't mind posting her or somebody's name she trusts, and address, it could be done direct.

Thanks.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld: Thanks for the offer. I am in the process of writing grants to order novels and such. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking cash from anyone. This issue of books (novels) and innovative programs (Another teacher and I would love to start a Freedom Writers program and we are already signed up for the workshops online and receive information, we just need the books) is larger than just my classroom. I'd love to have the books for that program sent to the school, but they are rather expensive. It does incorporate reading and writing, critical thinking, community outreach, etc. Hopefully these grants will come through. If anyone knows of any local grants for which I could apply, please post them.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on January 15, 2007)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
I was thinking of you last week when the DPS announced their list of school closings. They kept emphasizing that all those buildings didn't have enough kids in them, and all I could think of were your classes with the 40-plus kids and not enough desks. Do these schools that are closing also have forty kids per class? Or do they "only" have 30-35 and this is why these schools "need" to be shut down?
Good luck with your grants and with your Freedom Writers program! Please let us know how everything works out.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5409
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 you quoted that:

"The solution is to break up the Detroit public schools -- into seven or eight smaller, more manageable districts with more active local oversight (and each with their own board of education)."

I SAY

THIS PLAN MIGHT WORK. THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM ALL STATES MUST COMPETE AGAINST CORPORATE FUNDED EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS OR DIE. DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS MUST DO THE SAME. GET MORE TEXT BOOKS, FIX UP YOUR SCHOOLS, HIRED QUALIFIED TEACHERS, CALM THOSE GROWN ACTING STUDENTS DOWN AND STOP BENDING RULES.

Detroitteacher, you quoted that:

"Kids are coming back to Detroit...after count days, as always. Just in the last month, I've had 9 students enroll in my classes, coming in from Charters or Private schools. I've heard other teachers saying the same things.

I am not saying that DPS is all wonderful and we don't need changes. We do, desperately! I think breaking up the district into smaller districts is a great idea. Each district could have one or two Board members to represent it and those Board members would be responsible, directly, for that district...financially and otherwise. Maybe then things might get done right. Doubt it, but there's hope."

I SAY

SO YOU DO AGREE WITH FURY THAT DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHOULD BE BROKEN UP INTO SEVERAL DISTRICTS. THAT WOULD SURELY DIVIDE THAT TAX BASE FOR THE DETROIT RESIDENTS.

AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT FEWER KIDS COMING BACK TO DPS AFTER COUNT DAY. WELL AFTER WEEKS OF COUNT DAY MORE DETROIT STUDENTS ARE IN THE PROCESS OF LEAVING DPS TO THOSE EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS.

Today, Detroit Public Schools is compared with Soviet Union. A Neo-Bolshevism government with a puppet school board along with NO IDEOLOGICAL PROCESS It's taking the system back to the 1890s with no hope in sight from the state.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone break that down for me. I'm very confused (as usual from Danny's posts).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a John Titor.

Take your time machine back to the mid 1950s, drink some Ovaltine and turn in the requisite labels or whatever in order to get your Captain Midnight secret decoder ring. Whether or not you join the Secret Squadron is up to you.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I said that after count day DPS kids RETURN to DPS, not leave. Yes, I agree with Fury that breaking the district up into smaller, more manageable districts would work. They've already changed the name, we are no longer DPS, we are now Detroit City Schools...that tells me that the division is coming.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop all bussing! Make kids goto neighborhood schools. Find problem areas and focus money and better teachers on those areas. Or just forget those crappy schools and work on making the better schools very good and then focus on the problem. People are leaving the city because they can't use the schools. Provide large chunks of the city with decent and safe schools you could be attracting thousands of people back to the city. Stop the bleeding of the black middle class and bring tax dollars back to Detroit. Use those tax dollars and the money saved from cutting contracts with bus companies and work on bettering the worst schools. Better schools will equal less crime and a better Detroit. Set up neighborhood schools in new areas like Brush Park and downtown. Keep those "skinny white hipsters" in midtown and downtown. The city needs them and their kids!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee: One of the so-called BEST schools (according to DPS it is for the elite students...students have to apply to it and maintain a certain GPA) DPS has is downtown...Cass Tech! Brand new building and all. Unfortunately, most of the technology in Cass doesn't work and from what I hear, it isn't energy efficient. It's a huge glass building that looks wonderful.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Stop all bussing! Make kids goto neighborhood schools.

Again your near total ignorance of Detroit emerges. DPS does not bus kids to school, in the main. Kids take the regular city buses to their chosen schools, if they desire. DDOT has some extra buses or route changes to accommodate some schools at those times of day. Some parents drive them to school, and many kids even walk.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 17, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.