Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Would this solve the transit problem in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.snopes.com/photos/a rchitecture/waterbridge.asp

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this kind of competent planning is exactly what Livonia needs to get the large SMART buses back.

I want them back in August 2010 and I'm willing to pay an extra .59 mil tax or more for this.

So, let's all work together and support both DDOT and SMART to make sure the taxpayers get the public transit they deserve to have and keep.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 690
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman is back! :-)

Imagine turning Woodward into a river! Okay, maybe not.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a multi level water system like a duck needs more feathers :-) Kinda too flat around here to make a system like that work! Maybe we can propose that for the new Detroit-Windsor Crossing?

Jams thanks for the funny!

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on January 14, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting idea with the aqueduct for boats and all, $500 million euros is like a billion dollars here. I think that we better just stick with existing future plans and keep the tourist attractions in Europe.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 816
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$500 million Euros=$1 billion USD? I don't think so.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

500,000,000.00 EUR = 646,258,554.18 USD. I guess I overreacted. OK it is now cheap enough for me to consider it feasible and a good idea.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a billion for that would be cheap. do you realize how complicated that project is? look at the Big Dig in Boston, how much was that? 12 billion?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but look what a mess that was

Jams

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This project could be self-cleaning! :-)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but look what a mess that was

Apparently, you never saw the Central Artery when it was still an elevated freeway. Talk about a mess!

Yes, I think Detroit should spend money on an elevated aqueduct like this. You could connect the Detroit River to...?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought that the I-94 bridge over Telegraph was a terrible idea...

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said it was a bad idea, it was just expensive and shoddily built (ted williams tunnel leaks, parts fall down on cars smashing them).

Jams

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if we replace freeways with a system of canals throughout the region, we can eliminate railines, buses, elevated rail, or any other form of ground based transportation from the argument.

How cool would it be to be able to choose between a gondola or a passenger boat. as well as our personal crafts to travel around the City?

If not, why argue about all the other dreams, when there are people freezing their asses off at a bus stop in order to get to a job to feed their families.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, what about winter?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 692
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flood the Lodge, I-375 and I-75 downtown. Build a few damns, connect it to the River, and voila water expressways!

Jams

Post Number: 4567
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait, what about winter?"

Radiant heat, run the steam lines under the canals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.