Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Round Building across Chrysler/Jeep assembly plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chryslerfan
Username: Chryslerfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there,

across the street from Chrysler's current Jefferson North assembly plant is a round building that seems to have been there for a long time. It must be around 12300 E Jefferson Ave.

Can someone tell me what it is/was? Was it part of Chrysler's old Jefferson Ave plant torn down in 1990?

Thanks in advance and Greetings from Germany,
Dan

image courtesy Google Maps

image courtesy of Hamtramck-Historical.com

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conner Creek Pumping Station

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an old aerial from WSU/culma

Chrysler Jefferson Ave showroom aerial

Chrysler Jefferson Ave showroom

Chryslerfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ Mikem: That makes sense. Thanks for the info!

@ Hornwrecker: Thanks for the image! My 1971 Imperial was built at that plant. Below is some "insider" info about that assembly plant. I found that bit on the Mopar Mailing List Archive. Best regards,
Dan

"Chrysler built all C-bodies at Jefferson. It was a very old plant to begin
with. A friend of mine worked there assembling Imperials in '73-'74. He has
told me all kinds of grim stories about drug dealing and drug use, prostitution
(on a vacant floor they used for storage called "box city") and overall sloppy
work and employee sabotage. He said the roof also leaked and water dripped onto the line when it rained. It sounds like an awful place to work. If you have a car from this era (I have two), chances are it was assembled by at least a few intoxicated employees. Interestingly, he also told me that management ran the Imperial line at half speed, with the intention of having the workers spend extra time "ensuring quality fit and finish." According to my friend, this was a big joke amongst the workers.
Sadly, this bit of Chrysler history has passed on.
David Bremer

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:57:31 -0800"

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is sad you can't get hookers or drugs in auto plants anymore. What a way to get folks to show up for work!

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only thing missing is the Rock and Roll!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM-that pumping station is located at the head of what we call "condom creek"

it's self-explanitory during a heavy rain

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's odd to see so many buildings in that area in the old pictures.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those buildings were built in 1910 for Chalmers, so by the time your Imp was built they were over 60 years old.

Chalmers factory 1910

Chalmers 1910

Chalmers 1910
NAHC

Chryslerfan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ Hornwrecker:

I had heard that before. Pretty amazing it lasted that long, considering daily industrial use. Even more surprising is the size of the 1910 factory building. I think cars were not mass produced then as Ford's first Model T was a 1909 model.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Conner Creek pumping station has seen a lot of changes in the neighborhood. Notably, the DWSD recently completed a very large roof, gutter and masonry restoration project on the building. Before the work began, you could see large sections of the upper walls in danger of collapse.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while i have never been in the old Jefferson plant word in my plant is that it was such a mishmash of buildings and additions that if you were on say the 3rd floor and walked across the 'joint' of an addition you might find yourself on the 4th floor...

the assembly line used to run up and down thru several floors also. or so im told...

david

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.