Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Needs Ann Arbor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if this was posted already, but thought it was an interesting read...

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ features/a2mode1.aspx

"Ann Arbor is Detroit's model. It’s a city whose people care about the environment, intelligent design and walkability. It is filled with educated people and natural resources and parks. It has the kinds of jobs that Detroit needs to get, and in the short-term, only Ann Arbor can supply for the same 25-year-old who populate Detroit's clubs on Saturday night."

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Google's new HQ?!?!? It looks downright awful.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann arbor needs Detroit more than Detroit needs Ann arbor, what a dumb name for a city anyway

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It’s a city whose people care about the environment, intelligent design and walkability.

I don't think many of them care for THAT sort of intelligent design..

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Google really blew it with that building.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5034
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The editorial/commentary is your typical AA-centric "The state revolves around AA, the bringer of everything good and holy" idea, but does try to make a fair point, earlier on, though it seems like they are dropping mere crumbs to the importance of the greater region:

"But Ann Arbor needs Detroit. For that matter, every state in Michigan needs Detroit. And Detroit needs Ann Arbor. Detroit is the lodestone for the region. It has the vast infrastructure, the name recognition and the urbanity that can't be duplicated in Ann Arbor."

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im pretty certain that none of those buildings pictured are for Google. I didnt see anywhere in the article either where it gave a caption for any picture. I mean the Cranbrook Art Museum was feature in a picture but I dont recall any mention of Cranbrook.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which building are you referring to that you call ugly? The first building will not be for google, and the second building is the brand-new Biomedical Research center, which is absolutely beautiful.

Scs100

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I thought the first one was Google.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the bottom of the page, it lists the images:

quote:

Biosciences Building - Ann Arbor

Near the law library - University of Michigan (photo by Brian Kelly)

Google's new corporate offices - Ann Arbor

Detroit Institute of Arts - Detroit

i also read in another article on the same site, that is the temporary headquarters for google's adwords division - i expect the permanent one to be much better.

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/mckinley1.aspx

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor is a lot like Detroit. They don't have a football team, either. :-)

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah.. the last picture definitely is not the DIA.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google is moving to the office pictured in the photo in a month or two. They are currently located in a smaller, temporary office above Vinology on Main St. and Huron St.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on January 12, 2007)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like letting personal vendettas get in the way eh Lmich? If this is the typical AAcentric blathering kindly show us others_ being typical that should be easy.

It reads like a press release of sorts to me from what little I know of such things.Certainly there was nothing untruthful and Detroit was mentioned often so the AAcentric part is confusing.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5036
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personal vendettas? Against whom?

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason Ann Arbor is so nice is because there's a ridiculously expensive school keeping it afloat, making sure that trust funds are continuously drained there by parents from around the world.

Take away UofM and Ann Arbor would be just another city an hour outside of detroit. It stays nice because copious amounts of money flow through it. nothing more, nothing less.

by the way, go blue

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor is nothing more that the city that hosts the team THAT CHOKES every time I root for them.
GO FIGURE! and Go Green!!

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only reason Ann Arbor is so nice is because there's a ridiculously expensive school keeping it afloat, making sure that trust funds are continuously drained there by parents from around the world.

Take away UofM and Ann Arbor would be just another city an hour outside of detroit. It stays nice because copious amounts of money flow through it. nothing more, nothing less.

But it DOES have U of M, Blanche, it DOES!

Citylover

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Against A2 Lmich what else?

Damn fine response supergay; I don't understand the......."if only" or the ....."only reason" explanation of things as employed by jeduncan. Ann Arbor might have been the motor capitol of the world for all you know.Does not matter things are as they are being spiteful means nothing.

I will say this, the notion that the Univ keeps A2 afloat is an ignorant one.The Univ pays no taxes.The largest employer in the city pays no taxes and their employees do not either as there is no city income tax in A2. Of course it is a benefit to have the U here but please get your story straight.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people does U of M employ in A2?

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last photo is of the Opheus fountain on the North side of the Cranbrook Academy of Art and Art Museum buildings.

Archy
Username: Archy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that Google is only moving into that building for now because it fits their immediate needs....I sure they will build a new building in the next 5-6 yrs.

Citylover

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,The UM provides 10% of the work force in A2 and indeed is the cities largest employer_ 30,000+ are employed by UM and another 7,000+ employed by the hospital system.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't need Ann Arbor any more than Chicago needs Detroit (it just happens to be nearby). Ann Arbor is a completely different world from Detroit. If AA didn't have the university, it wouldn't be half of what it is anyways. Detroit got to be what it is/was because of hard work. AA's atmosphere seems too disingenuous. Where did this annoying half-ass publication come from anyways: http://www.metromodemedia.com/

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U of M may not pay taxes, but the students do spend a dollar or 2 in the city of AA.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only is the University of Michigan the largest employer in Ann Arbor, but all of Washtenaw County as well. Don't downplay its significance. Detroit would still be Detroit without Wayne State, but Ann Arbor would just be a farm without the University.

Citylover

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason Detroit is what it is or what it is famous for is serendipity_ the same dumb illogic you all are putting forth about what Ann Arbor would be w/o UM can be used to say what Detroit would look like w/o Henry Ford. The truth and the fact is no one knows.

Charlottepaul so sad that you allow your prejudices dictate how you see things.There are plenty of hard working people in A2 and it has always been that way.Detroit does not nor has it ever had any more of a work ethic than any where else.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres the plan kids
google will chill in that ugly office block for a few years and they'll think about building new
but get the to reconsider and headquarter in the d
it would fill out that proposed technology park nicely
do it

Citylover

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be great if google went to detroit............but don't get your hopes up it will be very very hard for detroit to make the city look more attractive than ann arbor.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze here we go again.... seems like this whole Detroit versus Ann Arbor thread rears its' ugly head about once a year. Then we have people bad mouthing Ann Arbor... and then in defense Citylover bad mouths Detroit....

The more things change, the more they remain the same! Now marking my calendar for the next DET/AA bitchfest in 2008...

BTW.... I love both Ann Arbor AND Detroit!

Scs100

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, at least most of Detroit's new buildings look reasonable; most of Ann Arbor's new ones look like they just got thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, I like AA, but the way it was built just looks like half of the buildings got thrown together with the old stuff (which still looks good). And the way Detroit has been coming around, it would be a lot easier to get Google downtown as opposed to earlier.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 785
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and while the City of AA is walkable, ALL of the new parts and the new housing is completely suburban. Other than Ashley Mews, what urban sort of development has happened in AA, recently (and the University doesn't count). I'm talking private development. Companies. Residential.

btw, as Gistok wrote, I am also a fan of AA AND Detroit. AA has many positive things, but it is, nor will ever be Detroit and vice versa... although, Detroit can (and is) taking some ideas from AA to improve itself.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Ann Arbor, but it's silly to try and compare it with Detroit. That's the type of thought that metro Detroit needs to get away from. If Detroit needs a model (which is debatable) Ann Arbor cannot be it. Use New York or London as a model. Use Dubai or San Francisco as a model. What does Ann Arbor know about being a major city?! Let's face it, Ann Arbor is a suburb of Detroit. Ann Arbor doesn't have its own airport nor does it even have its own utility system.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Ann Arbor is so great then why can't they run a passenger train to Detroit without milking the taxpayers with a Wayne County half cent sales tax?

We need people with brains and Ann Arbor has lots of people with brains.

It's time for the Transportation Riders United to get people with brains to run our public transit systems. Then they can get Livonia back.

I publicly challenge them to do this.

Sticks

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Patrick,The UM provides 10% of the work force in A2 and indeed is the cities largest employer_ 30,000+ are employed by UM and another 7,000+ employed by the hospital system.

Ok, I'm a bit confused. So UM provides 10% of the work force in A2.

Do you mean that 10% of the people that work in A2 work for UM? This would mean that approximately 370,000 people work in A2.

Or, do you mean that 10% of the people that live in A2 are employed by UM? This would mean only around 10,000 people living in A2 are employed by UM. (I've heard that UM employs approximately 30% of people that are able to work and who live in Ann Arbor and Ypsi).

While I love and hate many things about Ann Arbor and Detroit, I agree whole-heartedly with Iheartthed: if Stevens T. Mason didn't move UM out to Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor wouldn't be much more than Domino Farms.

Which begs the question, what if UM stayed in downtown Detroit?

Citylover

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't bother with the erroneous idea that A2 is a suburb suffice it to say it isn't. I agree iheart A2 is not a major city_ the question is is detroit anymore? and more to the point of this thread would google want to be in detroit as opposed to A2.

As for our own utility system A2 does have it's own water system. It seems obvious that Detroit although it may provide electricity things would go much better if it sold out to edison; the citizens would make out better. The airport is in romulus since you want to split hairs so stating the obvious it is a regional airport serving mi, oh,canada.

Detroitduo there is very little space to build in A2.The city has not lost any population in the past fifty years so neighborhoods have remained stable.New stuff is being built three examples: The old gt products factory into lofts, a new condo bldg on liberty downtown,another new condo bldg at huron/ashley _ believe me there is no shortage of proposed and actual bldg in A2_ why do I always have to correct you all?

Scs_ A2 has never had great architecture aside from some Univ bldgs. A2 was built by germans and they were utilitarian...... nothing fancy no frills.If you want cool architecture(residential) Ypsi is nice.

Gistock I did not trash Detroit I stated that it would be very difficult for Detroit to make itself more attractive than A2 to google.I think it would be great if google chose Detroit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroit ceases being recognized as a major city, the state of Michigan may as well cease to exist, Ann Arbor included. Ya wanna know what happens to states without major cities? See Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, Mississippi, etc. It's pretty silly to even question whether Detroit is still a major city. It's larger than San Francisco, Atlanta and Washington D.C. even after having lost over half of the population.

Many other suburbs, that don't mind acknowledging their suburb status, also provide their own water systems in metropolitan Detroit. Metro airport is an international airport that serves the Detroit metropolitan area (including Ann Arbor) and trust me when I tell you that it wouldn't be there sans Detroit's existence. The last time I checked, Ann Arbor's airport wasn't good for landing anything much larger than a crop duster. How would half of U-M's students even get to Ann Arbor if it weren't for the existence of Detroit?!

Ann Arbor also doesn't have it's own television media, and is well within the Detroit Nielsen DMA. So someone else out there seems to agree that Ann Arbor is a suburb of Detroit.

I haven't even scratched the surface on how much money Detroit bred companies poured into that school to make it (and by extension Ann Arbor) what it is today...

Citylover

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you are new here I won't bother schooling you very much.The um has been in a2 since 18 fucking 37 get over the silly idea that detroit has a damn thing to do with what um is today.

A2 is not a suburb has never been a suburb and if you knew history at all you would know that but you don't so don't bother now.

As for detroit being a major city it depends who you ask_ but when a city loses over a million people in population it is certainly going to lose stature as well.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I think we need an annual bitchfest with another major city like how the Chicago and LA guys go at it on skyscraperpage.com, that would be fun. But Ann Arbor and Detroit?? Comparing the two is ridiculous and saying that Detroit needs AA is equally as stupid. Compare AA to Troy or Southfield then there could be a serious conversation.

Citylover there is no doubt Detroit is a major city. When your the 11th largest city and 8th largest metro in a country of 300+ million who in their right mind would question whether or not Detroit is a major city? By that logic Boston, San Fran, and ATL aren’t major cities either.

Citylover

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Population is not the only measure of what constitutes a major city. To compare Detroit to San Fran and Boston is just wrong.San Francisco is a major tourist dest and one of three unique cities in the U.S the others being New Orleans and New York city_ all are major tourist cities.And Boston is a huge educational center and a thriving city as well.As I said it depends on who you ask and that loss of significant population means loss of stature_ are you denying that?

If you think A2 is like Troy or Livonia or Southfield then you are as misinformed as your forum pals_ one visit to A2 and anyone would know that.

The intelligence level and knowledge of the area on this forum is sadly lacking.Must we play these childish games where Detroit must be king and must reign supreme over all else? I mean really, is this necessary? Is it so horrible that perhaps some locales are not a part of Detroit? Is it so cataclysmic if Ann Arbor is actually not part of Detroit?.. And if Ann Arbor is such a nothing place why are you all trying so desperately to claim it? Do I again have to spell out for you all that Ann Arbor not being a suburb is not a slam on Detroit but rather just stating what we in Ann Arbor have always known? Is it possible to have a discussion with any of you based on some semblance of truth? Or do we continue the baby game of no where but Detroit has any relevance or significance?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are seriously undervaluing the city of Detroit and the metropolitan area. A loss of population does not affect stature as much as you would believe. Boston for example was once a city near 800 thousand people but now hovers around 570 thousand and may even lose pop by 2010. So by your logic Boston would have lost a significant amount of stature, but you say that comparing Detroit to Boston is wrong?

Stature itself is meaningless anyway, more of a popularity contest than an actual measure of relevant statistics. Because statistically neither Boston, San Fran, New Orleans, or AA for that matter have ever matched Detroit in a lot of key measurements you believe effects stature.

Comparing AA to Troy or Southfield is more logical then trying to compare it to Detroit. And while it may not be a suburb in the Warren sense it is a part of the Detroit metro and not its own region. Getting all upset because everyone shoots down the idea that Detroit needs AA isn’t that intelligent either Citylover. And just as a reminder you are on a site called DetroitYes not AnnArborAwesome so people are naturally going to get a bit defensive when their beloved city’s significance is challenged by a nearby subur….city.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on January 14, 2007)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i read the article, i thought ONE thing... "hmmm... this site looks ALOT like model d..." oh, and look at the caption to the photo:

"New Building in Ann Arbor on Depot Street | Dave Krieger"

Dave Krieger? yep... Model D's photographer...

they are tied in some strong way....

Citylover

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda thought the same thing Andylinn.......

Mayorsetkou I said pop is not the only measure of stature.Do you honestly believe that Detroit is as thriving a city as Boston is today? Do you honestly believe that including population loss of both cities that Detroit is as desirable as Boston to prospective employers?

Only two things have been declared here.1st the intial article stated that Detroit needs Ann Arbor.And so damned predictably you all come charging in with.......Detroit does not need Ann Arbor.........in case you missed it I said I did not know.What irritated the hell out of me is when you all start tossing the bullshit around.How A2 is more comparable to Troy or Southfield.Which of course any one knows is bullshit.Troy and Southfield are purely suburbs of Detroit.They derive their existence from the auto industry_ Ann Arbor doesn't_I know you have the intellectual honesty to know that yet the bullshit continues.

I would love to have a good discussion but as I said the intelligence level and honesty here is in need of repair.

Sticks

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to threadjack, sorry.

quote:

Comparing AA to Troy or Southfield is more logical then trying to compare it to Detroit. And while it may not be a suburb in the Warren sense it is a part of the Detroit metro and not its own region.

You're half right and half wrong. Ann Arbor does have it's own market (region dictates something larger, like SE Michigan or Southern Michigan-Northern Indianna-Northwestern Ohio).

Ever take an ad for, say, Office Max from a Freep/DetNews Sunday paper that you get in Detroit, head out to Ann Arbor, and then find out they aren't running the same ad? That's because it's a separate market.

Or what about market studies that determine where a new retail location should be built. Detroit is one market and Ann Arbor, while it is quite smaller, is it's own.

That being said, are they always two separate markets? No. Someone used the example earlier of getting the same local news (2, 4, 7) broadcasts as Detroit and it's suburbs. So just be aware that it does depend on the industry when you talk about markets.

And I almost think that if this forum was MilwaukeeYes, a surprising amount of people would think that Madison is a suburb of Milwaukee..

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that www.metromodemedia.com looked like a rip off of Model D. Just goes to prove that Ann Arbor and Detroit don't even have that web site in common. I guess Detroit isn't to be modeled after Ann Arbor, but the other way around...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have any proof that Detroit isn’t as viable as Boston? Do you have any proof that businesses are more attracted to Boston than Detroit? Have you polled every corporation in the world and they have told you that Boston and San Fran is more desirable than Detroit? No you haven’t. So your basing you measurement of stature on opinion and popularity which differs for every person and every corporation. So you cant say definitely that Detroit cannot compete with either of these cities. This inferiority complex Detroiters have towards themselves is annoying if we wont stand up for ourselves then who will?

Ann Arbor is more comparable to Southfield and Troy than Detroit are you kidding me look at the facts. Or are you basing your opinion on that mysterious stature once again?

I would also love to have a good discussion but every time you hear something you don’t like you go on a emotion laced tirade where you question everyone’s intelligence because we don’t share your opinion. If you want to have a discussion do that don’t get all pissy just because someone calls AA a suburb.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Sticks but there is no metro Ann Arbor there is metro Detroit and Ann Arbor is a part of it. Im not denying that AA isnt the most independent entity outside of Detroit itself in the region but it is not strong enough alone that we would need it as much as they need us.

Citylover

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What facts regarding comparing A2 to Southfield and Troy? the only similarity is population numbers and racial diversity other then that there are no comparisons. As for Detroit being more desirable than Boston for businesses to locate I would love to here your argument from Charlotte! I am from the Ann Arbor Detroit are Charlottepaul and I wish I could say that Detroit is as desirable as Boston but in all honesty I can't.And I don't think any honest person could.I don't need studies to back that up either some things are just obvious.

You call it an inferiority complex.I call it being honest.The whole A2 is a suburb crap is because the immature few here can't fathom the idea that other places besides Detroit actually have their own identity_ they must bow to the great detroit they would not exist w/o detroit...........if we can get past that..........

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just curious. What exactly does the city of Detroit have that Ann Arbor needs?

Nordawg_626
Username: Nordawg_626

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people who live in A2 don't care about anything east of 275.Most of the people who work in A2 live far away from A2 (including most of it's city employees & officials). It's more like Jackson,Flint,Ypsi & Western Wayne County are suburbs of A2 not vice versa . FYI: A2 does have it's own airport,water & sewage system and an privately own bus system (That Works).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" To compare Detroit to San Fran and Boston is just wrong.San Francisco is a major tourist dest"

So is Disney World.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kind of how GM keeps Detroit afloat, right??? Generally speaking, I've never seen people in a city master self-pity better than Detroiters.

quote:

San Francisco is a major tourist dest and one of three unique cities in the U.S the others being New Orleans and New York

I guess I didn't realize there were EXACTLY THREE unique places in the U.S., and that everywhere else was identical. How sheltered and ignorant I am.

Scs100

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, you're right. It is wrong to compare Detroit to San Fran. That being since the next time a major earthquake hits the bay area, half or all of San Fran will cease to exist very quickly. And why are there 3 unique cities? I'm curious that movies and our capital city just ceased to exist. Never mind Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, and all the other major companies that were started in/near Seattle. I know I'm missing a few more, but these are off of the top of my head.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That being since the next time a major earthquake hits the bay area, half or all of San Fran will cease to exist very quickly.

Just like 1906 and 1989....

Scs100

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. So, CL, tell me again how SF compares to Detroit?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5408
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Detroit needs Ann Arbor? Ann Arbor is doing fine. That city doesn't need Detroit.

Scs100

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you implying that Detroit is worthless or that the two should just go their separate ways? I'm a little confused.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't know what he's implying. He's Danny.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the last picture in the article is from cranbrook, i believe.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8155
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think it would be great if google went to detroit............but don't get your hopes up it will be very very hard for detroit to make the city look more attractive than ann arbor.

I guess Detroit is only attractive to the junkies. But we all know they don't bring crime with them.

Jt1

Post Number: 8156
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would love to have a good discussion but as I said the intelligence level and honesty here is in need of repair.

I find the irony in this statement as you are contributing to this conversation.

There is a lot of lack of honesty but you certainly aren't one to claim you are honest and others are not. As someone who absolves himself from any cause of criminal action in the city I must question your honesty and integrity.

As for AA and Detroit there are a few points to consider because I agree with CL and others on it:

1. AA can certainly sustain itself. On that we agree. I am a big fan of AA and would live either there or Detroit - nowhere else in this god forsaken shithole of a state.

2. UM is the University that it is largely due to the auto industry (Detroit). Without the wealth of the common citizen and the money from the wealthy in Michigan derived from the auto industry UM would be a second tier school and would not have resulted in nearly the wealth that AA sees. Dismissing Detroit's and the auto industry's effects on the wealth of AA and the prestige of UM is non-sensical. We all know that.

3. AA is one of the only major areas of wealth in Michigan that actually supports Detroit. Not financially but in support in mass transit and supporting urban areas and the impoversihed areas. If metro Detroit had the attitude of AA this region and this state would be much better of.

4. AA and Detroit are the only two areas in this wastleand of a State that support the arts. They need to work together because the resources between the two are amazing. Regional taxes may not pass due to the ignorant or cheap but AA/Detroit have amazing resources and we should all support them.

5. Detroit can learn a lot from AA. AA can learn a little from Detroit. I suspect the leaders of both cities would work well together much more so than the rest of SE Michigan.

6. The only hope for regionalism in this back woods region will come from AA and Detroit. They will set the example and help drive economic development between there. Hopefully this will spur regionalism elsewhere. Sadly I doubt it will.

Sorry for the rant but I suspect Detroit and AA work together better thna many think. The link between these two will be the only thing to advance this region because we know these are the only cities that are willing to work togtether regardless if they are in the same metro region or not.

Lastly, buying drugs is the same as buying bullets. If you support the trade you are supporting murder and probably paying to support it.

Citylover

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am feeling the love jt1.......btw I personally have not bought drugs in Detroit or anywhere else since the year 1990..........I think that things been done beat down by now, y'all can't be putting that shit on me. There are plenty others out there though to direct that toward.

We agree on other things as you listed them.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, JT1. I missed you.

Jt1

Post Number: 8158
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL - I'll let it go. I've beat teh dead horse long enough

Jt1

Post Number: 8159
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duo - I'm back because my place firewalled Hotfudge

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

4. AA and Detroit are the only two areas in this wastleand of a State that support the arts. They need to work together because the resources between the two are amazing. Regional taxes may not pass due to the ignorant or cheap but AA/Detroit have amazing resources and we should all support them.

I beg to differ a bit. Northwest Michigan, specifically an area about a 50 mile radius from Interlochen, is very supportive of the arts. Granted, it's not on the scale of SE MI, but for the population density, the annual income averages, and other factors against thriving arts, the area does well. There are 3 NPR stations that have served the NW area for years, while Detroit can barely keep one afloat. That's only one example I can think of right off the top of my head. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.