Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » One of many reasons why Detroit can't compete in tech ... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know the photo you're trying to post, but I'm sure it has something to do with the economy.

Just talked today to my long time GF, someone who is more attached to her family (all in Detroit) than anyone I've ever met. Trying to get her to leave to come out here to CA has been an unbelievable strain on us. Anyway, her brother is a painter in the GP/HW area and for the first time since he started painting probably a good 6-7 years ago he has NO WORK. Just straight up nobody wants to pay him to paint their house. He said its just a matter tha people are either losing their jobs or are in fear of losing their job and getting/paying for a new paint job is very low on their list. Surprisingly (as he too is a huge home-body) he is considering moving to Texas to work for a friend in construction. The friend says there's more work than they can handle down there. It is similar here in CA (roommate works in construction).

Anyway, he's really the first close contact to anyone in michigan that I've had who literally is out of work. Didn't get laid off, just simply no work. He doesn't want to do it, but I have a feeling he'll take up that Texas offer and head down there for a few years.

The only good thing (and selfishly)? It gives a good example to my GF why I think leaving for awhile might be best, especially when one of us already has a secure job out here. I could move back, and maybe get lucky. But it probably wouldn't be doing something I loved, and the security question would always be hanging over our heads. I don't think that's a fun way to live.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

White-collar technology workers at $10/hour ?!?

I can empathize but keywords like "support" and "ticket" mean the job has already been made routine. The bigger money is made on ideas too new to have been made routine. $10 for that is pretty dim though, I'll admit.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism (thread originator) must have deleted his original post. I snagged the gif & text he had posted in case it's helpful.

This situation sure is frustrating, isn't it? We're all in it together.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was moved to Discuss Detroit. lol! I give up.

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 11, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.