Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Know any apts that allow labradors?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizs
Username: Lizs

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! I'm new the this forum & I'm excited to be here.

My husband & I are graduating college this spring & plan to move to Detroit in August. He will be finished & looking for a job while I will be student teaching the first four months.

My university would like to know which area of Detroit I would like to student teach in, hence us searching for apartments 6 months before moving.

Here's the catch - we have a black lab who must come with us! Most apartments won't accept dogs over 35lbs & he is around 60lbs.

It's just the two of us so a studio or 1 bedroom would be fine. We're looking to keep rent under $800. Ideally the apartment would be within walking distance of some elementary schools & somewhat safe so a early 20s female like myself would feel comfortable walking/riding the bus alone. Also, we'd rather be in the city, rather than suburbs.

Although those are ideals, the only must have is that we can take our wonderful dog with us.

We've found lots of houses that we could rent, but there is no guarantee they will be available in 6 months, so an apartment building would probably be the best.

Sorry this was long winded & I hope it is appropriate to place here, but we're starting to get a little desperate!

Thanks so much,
Liz

Archinnovator
Username: Archinnovator

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lofts at Rivertown (Jefferson and Bellevue) allow larger dogs I believe...don't quote me on it, but friends of mine used to have a weimaraner (about 50 lbs.) when the lived there in a one bedroom.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8143
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure that the people here may be able to help you out and you may need their services.

http://www.detroitdogdaycare.c om/

Lizs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archinnovater :

I've stumbled upon the Lofts and Rivertown before - they've gotten some pretty good reviews online. But they have a website now that looks like they're lofts to buy, not rent, even though I've found them on forrent.com.

I'm new to this apartment thing, so perhaps you can rent instead of buy??

Thanks for the tip though, I'll check into it!

Lizs

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1:

Thanks for the tip! I just sent them an email - if anyone knows where dogs live, they do! :-)

Liz

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizs,

I know of a nice flat in East English Village that is for rent. Dogs are fine and it has a nice fenced yard.

EEV is a great safe area. Send a message to:

historicarmor@yahoo.com

If you are interested.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you considered Hamtramck?? Many nice flats for rent and you can get the best of the "Urban Feel". Most will allow dogs.

Archinnovator
Username: Archinnovator

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still a few units at Rivertown left for renting...check craigslist, I always see a few on there. And depending on your price range, I know there is a larger 2 bedroom for rent, it's in the classified section here.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 731
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I echo you would be better with renting a house with yard than an apartment. Lucky for you, rent is not super expensive in metro Detroit.

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could check the Kales, I believe that they allow dogs of any size and the only extra charge is a $100 non-refundable deposit. The rent for a 1 bedroom would be a little more than $800, but for the price you get to park in the Grand Circus Park garage and use the secure tunnel to avoid any locals if you wish.

Lizs

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Detroitplanner : We are definitely interested in looking at houses. However, because we need to know our area 7 months ahead of move time, we want to make sure that we for sure can move into an apt. Once the time gets closer we're going to check into houses - we've seen some amazing deals!

We visited Kales on Friday. Amazing location, decent price. However, today we visted Parkhurt & really liked it! Much more space for less, plus they'll take our dog. We like the feel of the old building much more, too.

So for now we're going to say the Parkhurst area, then we'll start looking for houses in a few months.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Liz

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where and what is Parkhurst?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Parker and Agnes, West Village.

You might find a few of us that have some knowledge of the area here.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11117
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 months will get you into the summer, where upon many WSU students will be moving out of house. You may want to start checking around in rental houses in Woodbridge, in which there are quite a few. Your timing would work out to your benefit in Woodbridge, and we're always looking for more dogs to be walked in our neighborhood. There isn't a time I walk my dogs when I don't pass others doing the same.

Lizs

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport:

Someone else recommended the Woodbridge area to us. I'd love to near fellow dog-lovers, but the university area seems great.

I should know by Feb. or March which elementary I will be student teaching in and that will help us narrow down where we'd like live even further.

We'll only have one car so we'll need to be close to his job or my school, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Speaking of dogs, do you know any off-leash parks in Detroit?

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could squat in one of the plethora of abandoned apartments in town, but then again, Labs aren't all that protective of their owners!

Lizs

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our dog would rather greet intruders and beg for food. I don't even think he realizes that not everyone thinks he's the cutest thing in the world.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11123
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Speaking of dogs, do you know any off-leash parks in Detroit?

http://caninetofivedetroit.com / offers indoor dog park Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings, though in the past they don't do it once it warms up out. As for outdoor parks, there really aren't any designated outdoor dog parks in Detroit that I am aware of. I was once told a reason that seemed to make sense. In Chicago many places lack backyards, thus creating a need for neighborhood dog parks. In Detroit, most every house has a backyard, so there really isn't a demand for them here.

As for off-leash parks, if your dogs are well mannered, I wouldn't worry too much about letting them off their leash in any park in the city. I take mine over to Belle Isle every now and then, head out to the eastern end of the island way out by the lighthouse and let them run.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle works great. I'd recommend (like Sport) the eastern side of the island if you go with your dog. Less trash. And I know what you mean with the dog being overly friendly. I wouldn't take her for protection anywhere!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome. You have come to the right place

Labrador retrievers have nice demeanors. They are passive and quiet dogs that, as far as I am concerned are much more acceptable than say an unpredictable genetically inclined to viciousness Pit Bull.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more of a studenty place, but the building where i live, the renaud, just has a very open "dogs allowed" rule... and many dogs here are HUGE! plus rent is CHEAP. studios $400, Singles $500, and doubles $700 all with free heat and water... (its the building accross from old main on the wayne campus)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI LizS, this is Liz Blondy, the owner of Canine To Five. I got your email but saw on here that you had posted the same question, and I thought this might be a better resource for you!
I know several dog owners in the Kales, they all love it. Also, Woodbridge is a great neighborhood, most of the houses have decent sized yards, so that might a good idea too.
Good luck! Bring your dog in to say "hi" when you move in!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LizS, a bit off topic here but...Welcome to Detroit and DPS! If you need any helpful hints or have questions about your student teaching feel free to ask! I did my student teaching at Henry Ford HS and am now at Cooley HS. I have the ins on teacher's stores and great places to find neat things for teachers (and your students). Just keep in mind to love the kids, even the kids that make it hard to do your job. DPS has some great kids!!!

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to check the Monitor paper. A carriage house in Indian Village or West Village could work for you.

I have heard there is a school yard on the river, at the end of Conner (s. of Jefferson) that has a gate which closes. You could take the dog there on the weekends.

Lizs

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn:
That place sounds awesome! We'll definitely check it out during the upcoming months! A student-y place is just fine - we're graduating ourselves in May. What's the name of the complex?

Blondy:
Nice to meet you! We'll definitely stop by once we're moved in! I'm really looking forward to the dog park!

Detroitteacher:
Thanks for the welcome!! I'm excited about student teaching in DPS! There are quite a few elementaries near the place we think we're going to live, & hopefully not too many of them close! I'm sure I'll be looking you up for advice & such. Would you say that there is a teacher shortage or surplus in DPS?

Roaringmouse:
Thanks for the tip about the school! Wes is pretty good when we let him off leash & call him back, but I'd feel best with a fenced in place! Thanks!

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lizs

The Federal Housing Association demands that property owners do not discriminate.

Labradors along with Colombians, Bolivians, Peruvians and Panamanians are all welcomed in the city of Detroit.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizs, I would say a shortage of GOOD teachers...the district says otherwise. I don't know about things at the elementary level but at the HS level, I have 47 kids in each of my 5 classes and I'm only supposed to have 35. That says alot.

Don't ever get discouraged. Stick with it because you love your kids, not because the Board or downtown is making your life a living hell. Our kids need and deserve good teachers! Just a word, though...if you do your student teaching in DPS you'll automatically get hired before someone on the outside. My advice is, even if they don't offer you full time teaching take the sub position. More subs get full time teaching positions each year because of retirements. You'll end up in a classroom full time anyway just by subbing. I'd seriously look into getting endorsed in Special Ed (LD, CI, AI, EI). You can get emergency cert in one of those and float right into a position directly after student teaching if you agree to stay (not sure how long). DPS will even do tuition reimbursement for Special Ed endorsement if you are a contract teacher or a sub!

Lizs

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher:

I'm so glad to hear that! We were hoping that after student teaching first semester that I'd be able to do some subbing because the first four months we'll be living off one income. Even better to hear about the good chances of getting a job. I'm especially glad I'm student teaching in the area so I can get a feel for the school before jumping in by myself. I just hope to be taken seriously as a white girl from the suburbs! I really want to do as much as I can for these students!

Thanks for the great news! :-)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll do fine if you hae a love for your kids and they trust you. Follow through on what you say, say it with love and give out hugs like they were candy. Let the kids in on who you are, share your work and do everything you ask them to do (projects, worksheets, everything!). Let them explore you. My students always want to touch my hair, poke my skin when I have a sunburn (I turn ghostly white then red again), let them in on your culture (bring ethnic foods, pictures of family, tell them stories about you when you were their age, share your sorrows, concerns, joys with them). Don't be afraid to question their culture. I find that many of my students have had limited experience with people not of their same ethnicity and they are curious as all people have a natural curiosity to that which is unfamiliar.

I suggest going in the first day and the first thing out of your mouth should be "I am human and make mistakes, we all do. We are going to learn together. You'll teach me things and I'll teach you things". ASK them what they WANT to learn and what interests them. Take that and use it as a teaching tool. Pick up books at dollar stores, garage sales and anywhere you can get good used books. Read to them!!! I can't stress that enough. Take them seriously but understand that they can BS as well as we can. Have compassion. be prepared to cry (kids say the darndest nice things). Ignore negative comments. Just treat them the way you want your kid (or future kid) to be treated by a teacher. Think of each and every kid as if you gave birth to them.

If you have the passion, the desire, and the understanding that it takes...you'll do fine. I'm always here. You can email me at TMCooleyWeb@aol.com. Even though I teach HS, it helps to have someone to vent to or just to get different ideas. Get close to your host teacher, they will become your mentor and friend. Get close to other teahers in the building and don't be afraid to ask for ideas and help from your colleagues. If you can, make a call to the kids' homes and introduce yourself (or at least send a get to know you type letter). Ask parents for suggestions. At the elem. level they are still somewhat involved and really want to help.

Lizs

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again! Your advice really resonates with what I want to do and who I want to be, so it's an encouragement to hear it from someone with experience! And thank you for your willingness to be of assistance, I'll let you know when I need advice!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizs welcome to the forum and to the D. This is a wonderful thread and you have definitely brought out he better angels of the forum.

The Renaud Apartments Andylinn speaks of is in the midst of a very vibrant off-campus neighborhood and I have known tons of people who have lived there over the decades. The Touraine next to it is also a good choice. The famous stree fair "The Dally in the Alley" takes place right in front of the building and the large pedestrian mall areas of Wayne State will make for long pleasant on-leash walking of your dog without the nuisance of pauses for traffic. Theaters, art venues, pub and events will surround you and the nearby walkable-to Woodbridge will allow you to familiarize yourself with that outstanding neighborhood.

On the northwest corner of the WSU campus is the athletic facility with huge open fields where pooch could run. North of that is a wide railroad easement which is almost like being out in the country which can easily be entered off Trumbull by the Iron Mountain storage / former factory.

On another thread you mentioned that you attend a small college near Jackson. If it is the one to the west, my sister is a professor there specializing in teacher training, although she is now in semi-retirement.

Being a former teacher myself [Peace Corps] Detroitteacher tells it like it is. Open your heart and life to the kids and they will fill it to overflowing. Sometimes they will teach you more than you teach them. Teaching can be tough but the personal rewards are immense.

Lizs

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring Arbor University is the school.

How was your experience with the Peace Corps?? My husband & I plan to apply together this summer, hopefully leaving next summer. We know its harder to place a couple, but it's worth a shot. Our first choice is Jordan, followed by someplace in southern Africa.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.