Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Florida franchise opening first store in Downtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For interested healthy consumers, they just signed a lease next to the new CVS in the 1001 Woodward parking garage. They're good guys that not only invest in the city, but also live in it. I wish them success...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701110353

(Message edited by Redetroit on January 11, 2007)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4544
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lotta lettuce....

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the article

quote:

A basic salad costs $6.59 and takes about three minutes to assemble. Adding a protein costs $2.25 more.

That's a seriously expensive salad...

(Message edited by susanarosa on January 11, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3426
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes this more desireable than say... a salad bar in other restaurants? When I want to make a salad at a restaurant... I WANT TO MAKE IT! :-)

Redetroit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, it is expensive, but you get a lot for your money.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is expensive for Michigan, though in line with pricing in some other parts of the country. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good and I wish them luck...however I wouldn't spend that much on lunch. I read articles daily that urge people to "brown bag it". Almost nine bucks for a salad? Did they do market research?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does it say it is going to be located next to CVS? Isn't it concerned about Bellacinos or the Green Room?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty much in line with Chipotle, Cosi and Pandera Bread on price. I'm a little surprised that they chose downtown as the place to test it out in Michigan. I hope it works out.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article states that trends show people leaning towards healthier eating habits...

Then why in the hell do we keep getting fatter? I'm confused.

Redetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article doesn't say that, but they told me that's where it's going to be. They've been working on getting that location for a few months now. I'm glad to see they got it done. I'm not much of a salad eater, but it should be interesting to see how they do in the downtown market.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just paid $6.50 for a HALF chinese chicken salad at my gym today. this is bay area.

That price sounds fine to me, but I am still always amazed at how I think everything in Detroit is so cheap when I visit. My favorite? BEER at bars! Its usually a good couple bucks cheaper in Detroit. Love it! Buy 2 get one free :-)

Redetroit

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That" was in reference to their location next to CVS...

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a tough deal. I give them 1.25 years before they fold or conform.

Guess what post this is...............

Sixxxxtttttyyyyy Niiiiinnnneeee!!!!!!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then why in the hell do we keep getting fatter? I'm confused."

Three words: Lafayette Coney Island.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see a new business open on Woodward. The prices are fine, daily lunches pretty much always fall in the five to ten dollar range and their prices are the same as other "gourmet, salad-only" places so $6.59-8.84 for a lunch meal is perfectly reasonable. It's also a good trend to be on, the healthier upscale one.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Three words: Lafayette Coney Island."

I've got no problem with that, bring on the fat!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The article states that trends show people leaning towards healthier eating habits...

Then why in the hell do we keep getting fatter? I'm confused.

Because the portion of the population that is getting fatter is not the portion of the population that will spend $9.00 on lunch.

People who care about their health and their weight and what goes into their body tend to skew to a higher educational and economic demographic.

$9.00 for lunch ain't much.

I have never read a more negative group of responses for somebody trying to open a restaurant around here.

You'd think there were trying to open it on the second floor of a building or something.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever think you would spend $4.00 for a cup of coffee or hot foamy milk with cinnamon?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch... have you forgotten about... Hooters?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Or the Hustler Club...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters are fatter than people in other cities because we walk less. It's been studied and is pretty well documented; if you've visited other big cities you see that it's true.

Every city has its favorite high-fat local food. I happen to like our coneys :-) but I enjoy deep dish pizza in Chicago, cheese steak sandwiches in Philly and so on.

Just they walk more than us, that's all.

Prof. Scott

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really into salads, but a lot of people are. The salads sound expensive, and they are expensive (it's lettuce!!), but similar to salad prices elsewhere.

Plus, having salad places like that improves the image of downtown.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a little pricey true, but it depends on how large the salad is. Go to any chain or slightly upscale mom and pop place (mmmm, Sidetracks..) and you'll pay $9 for a salad there too.

Good thing about this place is that you have all the Compuware workers across the street and the financial district is a block or two over. Come summer time, it shouldn't be too hard to find customers willing to walk over and grab a fresh salad.

I'm still holding my breath for a Noodle & Co. Had a friend who worked there when I worked in Arborland. Not a bad place if you want some pasta.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Professor Scott, there are lots of fat people everywhere. It is not just a Detroit thing. It does have a lot to do with general age of population, and lifestyle though. I'd say that office workers are a lot fatter than construction or factory workers.

Heck I know I try my dammedest to lose weight, I walk miles every day, the problem is I spend too much time in front of a computer, or sitting around board rooms at work!

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a Noodle and Co would be cool. I'd eat there.

Michigan (and Detroit in Particular) was one of the fattest states/cities a few years ago, but since then we've dropped down the list quite a few places (we're something like 10 or something, instead of 1 or 2 or whatever), so we're not as bad, relatively as we used to be.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds similar in concept to that salad place (I thought it was called Salad Creations?) at Somerset. Always good fresh food there.

I wish this new venture success!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noodle and Co is as overpriced and poor quality food as there is.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Luciano Gonzalez and Anthony Ciotti say they plan to open Salad Creation restaurants...in downtown Detroit by March or April and Troy and Macomb Township franchises by summer"

They're too coy to say it, but the anti-suburb crowd on this board would prefer that none of these restaurants be opened at all to the idea of two out of the three being opened in the 'burbs...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8146
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that statement could be any more idiotic.

(Message edited by jt1 on January 12, 2007)

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest... you pay $6 for a WEndy's salad. $9 is not unreasonable. Panera, etc. charges about that much, and they really are a whole meal.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who buys a salad at Wendy's, when they offer the Spicy Chicken Combo Meal?

Also, I want a Panera Bread downtown. Someone should pass that along to the powers that be.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I don't fit into the "poor" "uneducated" group of folks who won't pay $9.00 for a salad I'm left wondering why I hate to pay even $7.50 for a chicken greek salad at Motown...

Must be why I don't have debt...

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they'll have other options. It's not cheap, but it's a $9 lunch. At Panera, for example, they have the pick two where you get two of 1/2 salad, 1/2 sandwich, and a bowl of soup for $6. Fills me up every time. That doesn't mean that a Downtown can't benefit from another unique, possibly 'trendy' lunch option for under $10.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is their menu from the corp website.

http://www.saladcreations.net/ custom.asp?id=128221&page=1

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless, it is nice to see more shops opening downtown, on Woodward nonetheless.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since I don't fit into the "poor" "uneducated" group of folks who won't pay $9.00 for a salad I'm left wondering why I hate to pay even $7.50 for a chicken greek salad at Motown...

Must be why I don't have debt...

Or you are just saving up for those $3.00 Miller Lites.

If you would just change your drinking venue, and go someplace that sells $2.00 Miller Lites, you could get a couple of those salads a week.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noodle and Co is as overpriced and poor quality food as there is.

That's one of the bigger flame-baits I've seen lately. ;)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sit at a computer all day too, but I still walk tons more than the average office worker in Detroit. Everything in that region is conformed to the car. That's why everyone is so fat.

Sidenote: The ranking from Men's Health Magazine is not to be taken seriously. At least not when measuring how "fat" a city is because that's not what they are measuring. All you really have to do is go to the mall and watch the people walk (or waddle) by. Detroit is one big gal!

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you would just change your drinking venue, and go someplace that sells $2.00 Miller Lites, you could get a couple of those salads a week.

I've found it's actually cheaper to drink at home, alone, with the lights off... listening to Coldplay on repeat.

Come back Dabirch, please come back...

Dabirch

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't know how to respond.

So I'll just leave it alone.

And start slowly backing away.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.00 bucks for protein.. ok.. something sounds wrong about that...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11126
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else picturing the High Life delivery guy going into a salad restaurant, seeing a menu with $9 salads, then proceeding to yank their stock of High Life from the cooler? Those commercials crack me up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.