Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sixto Rodriguez « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is something not yet discussed on this board... Sixto Rodriguez is an AMAZING folk singer from Detroit in the 1960s... He recorded two albums, the better of which is/was Cold Fact. He's also known as Jesus Rodriguez. The most interesting thing about him is that he is a platinum selling artist superstar in South Africa... Did any of you ever see him back in the day? I see him walking around town occasionally... Any info on him? Any other Detroit artists like this? Amazing artists under-appreciated in their city / country. I want to book this fellow for a local show...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked with Rodriguez at the 4th Street Fair this summer. The amazing part of his fame in South Africa [he is also huge in Australia] is that he knew nothing about it until fans found him mant years after it emrged. His fame grew, in of all places, the dissaffected side of the the South African army during the fading years of Aparteid and spread to the general populace via bootlegs of his work. Eventually he made his triumphant tour and still gets gigs in both countries. Like you note, however, he is hardly above the radar here. Here lived on 4th Street for a long time; not sure where he lives now.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we are on the topic of lesser known Detroit celebrities, I would like to raise the name Kay Sutton. I came across the name of this actress today; her IMDB profile says she died in Grosse Pointe. Anyone know how she ended up there? Notably, Ms. Sutton appeared in four of the Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers films: Roberta, Follow the Fleet, Carefree, and the Story of Verne and Irene Castle.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm084 0342/

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he once run for mayor?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Rodriguez is pretty unpretentious for a famous musician, and can be frequently seen hanging around the Cass Corridor, in particular, at the Motor City Brewing Works.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"sugarman" is one of my all time favorite detroit songs!!!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn Dunning who is the baby in Willow is an SCS'er

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes he ran for mayor, "He has been a candidate for various city and state political offices: State Representative (twice), City Council (three times), Mayor (twice) and one attempt for Senator."

http://www.sugarman.org/rodman .html is an extensive FAQ on Rodriguez. I hadn't search him in a couple of years. Now there is the official website.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could remember the exact year, maybe it was 1993. I remember an article in the student paper at Wayne State, a friend of mine at the time wrote it, and it was about this guy named Sixto, who was running for mayor, and he did a little Good Samaritan act in Cadillac Square, breaking up a potential hold-up. Turned out the would-be victim was Robert Kearns, the man who invented the intermittent window wiper. Surely a stretch for "human interest," but seemed kind of funny/odd at the time.

I remember meeting Sixto shortly after that. Super nice guy, totally cool and affable, very friendly.

Ms_info
Username: Ms_info

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodriguez's song Sugarman is featured in the new Australian film, Candy. It is also used in the trailer. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =k6u005jICic

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.