Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit in '84 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a less controversial choice?

93 WDRQ Continuous Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lW4dZbB0BFA

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was awesome, thanks for posting. The segment when they're chasing up Grand River is intense. Anyone else identify any other locations? I thought I saw some views from the east riverfront but I may be wrong.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of it went through Brush Park. I posted some screen caps a few years ago on my blog comparing the film to the current views.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2004_12_01_archive.html

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the best chase scenes ever!!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! That YouTube clip puts Detroit in a bad light! The Detroit hate out there; man we can't shake it...

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, you just took me back. You hit on my few seconds of fame here. I'm actually in that movie for a few seconds right after that chase.

When the truck smashes into the first car he was coming up Michigan Ave. He hits the car just as he turned down 30th. He's driving down 30th as he hits all those other cars.

The cop cars were lined up at the corner of 30th and Jackson, you can see the school in the background.

My best friend from high school lives (yes he still lives there) in the brown house across the street from where the truck comes to a stop. You can see it in the background when the camera is looking out of the back of the truck.

Anyways, they filmed the movie during the summer while we were on summer break from Western High. We sat on his porch every day watching the action. When the movie came out we found a quick shot where we were all sitting on the porch.

And I agree, it is one of the best chase scenes. Gill Hill was in that movie too.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that post. Great chase scene! I forgot that the cops drove Chrysler products back then. It made me proud of my old '85 5th Avenue that I own now.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Western High Rules!
I keep telling people that was my old neighbor hood, no one believes me.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leland_palmer, those are some great pictures on your blog. To answer the question on your page about the row houses in Brush Park, I have seen a later picture of them in Camilo Jose Vergara's book, "American Ruins." On page 69, there is a picture of them from 1998. They were located on Alfred Street, and were demolished by 2001, though I am not sure of when they were actually demolished. I think they may have been on the northeast corner of Alfred and Brush Street where the senior development is now, based on some photos and the building on the northwest corner, but I could be wrong.

The new development is great, but the loss of those rowhouses was really unfortunate. They could have really been rehabilitated into beautiful, relatively secure housing.

(Message edited by cman710 on January 10, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4243
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...how hilarious! Just seeing cop cars with those big ol' dome lights on top was great. And when was the last time we saw that many well groomed cops at one gathering like that, donut shop notwithstandng? What a throwback.

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They paid my dad to move his car for the movie...we ate the water melons after they fell off the truck...I stood up in the movies and yelled thats my street..it was hilarious.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know the family that lives in the brown house?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Cman710. My goal is to paint as good of a picture as I can of what the "Old" Brush Park used to look like prior to it's demise.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the brighter blue shirts the cops were wearing back then as opposed to the drab unicolor navy ones they have now. Anyone know when they switched?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.