Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anita Baker Video « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if this has been posted before, but in this video Detroit's own Anita Baker takes a tour around her hometown--lots of good sites, including a cold looking Tiger Stadium near the end...a good look at mid 80s motown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Xq415b1zK_U

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does she show the Chene house in the video, the 150 year old house she and her husband had demolished against a court-ordered stay?

Little Harry's > IHOP, paid for by churning out urban copulation muzak

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let them eat pancakes!"

- Anita Baker, 1991

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"'Let them eat pancakes!'

- Anita Baker, 1991"

LOL!

Blaw82
Username: Blaw82

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That brought humor to my day Detroitplanner. Thanks! I really can't believe that they demolished that house though.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet irony, you guys beat me to it.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheeesh...until I made this post I almost forgot how political things are around here.

She shouldn't have torn down the Chene House...agreed. Perhaps if she'd packed up and moved to L.A. like Barry Gordy we'd be kinder.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's kind to Barry Gordy? He abandoned Detroit, and wants to build a new Motown Museum in Detroit... but not with his OWN money!!

And guess where each 5 years the anniversary of Motown Records are celebrated.... not in Detroit.

We are kind however to his sister Esther Gordy Edwards, who has kept up and maintained "Hitsville USA", the Motown houses on West Grand Boulevard.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What--no shots of her 'hood in Grosse Pointe?

I remember when she was shown cruising on her boat on MTV or VH1 years ago. She going by the Ren Cen and several times said she was on Lake St. Clair.

Maybe when she had Little Harry's torn down she was on the wrong property and didn't know it, aye?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being sarcastic, for the record. In all honesty I was interested in the circa 1987 shots of the city and had no intention of opening up debate about IHOP, Little Harry's or whether living in Grosse Point is equal to moving your entire business, lock-stock and barrel to L.A. as Motown did. I find it interesting however, that someone who remained in the "region" (I stand corrected) is treated with the identical disdain as Gordy, who packed up and moved everything. Though folks are in their right to disagree with what Walter Bridgeforth did to get his IHOP built, they have invested in the city and have remained citizens of the "region". My point is, we can all be as rough on people like the Bridgeforth's or the Ilitch's as we are on people that pack up and move.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah nothing like easy listening while seeing old scenes of Detroit...

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ilitch family poured more money into Detroit than any other folks since since, the Purple Gang? For all the criticism one might make of the Ilitch family, what other family has done so much for downtown?

Every time a big event happens in Detroit deadbeat Areatha Franklin is asked to sing. How many people has her money ever employeed in Detroit? Fill me in if necessary, but who is on Anita Baker's payroll in Detroit? Does she have any businesses in the city?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ihop

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a good skater--I wonder what roller rink that was shot at?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about that roller rink too--and yeah, she is pretty good. I found myself (sadly) assuming that wherever it was shot is probably long gone.

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably Royal Skateland on Alter Rd. since some of the other shots were from the Alter/Jefferson area

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Skateland is very much alive, is it not? Warren and Chalmers area?

Was Baker an eastsider in her youth?

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Copulation Muzak.....I love it. For sonic erotic enhancement I prefer Trane, Miles or when the mood is right, Sun Ra.

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout a lil' 'Round Midnight from Miles for a suicide party?

Someone once made that quip when that song was playing on the Anchor Bar jukebox.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmon people, why all the hate for Anita Baker. Just because she hasn't bootstrapped her celebrity into some kind of civic savior status doesn't mean she deserves scornful comments. She's a hardworking musical artist who stayed here to raise a family. She's a fine ambassador for Detroit. The Chene House fiasco was her husband's doing and it is old history. Show some love.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry...he couldn't have done without her money!!

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't go to the Anchor, but it sounds great on the box at Bert's on a saturday night.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, she can skate very well, thats what Belle Isle needs an skate rink; indoor and out. 313

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 593
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least she stuck around to take an old building down.

Diana Ross probably wouldn't even know how to get here to order the bulldozer to have at it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.