Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Ford Mansion in Grosse Pointe Farms « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dream
Username: Dream

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attached is a link to a January 7, 2007 Detroit Free Press story on the new Elena Ford/Joseph Rippolone mansion that is to be constructed on Provencal Road in Grosse Pointe Farms.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070107/COL 27/701070566/1081

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know why but Plumber Joe comes off as a tool.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a shame they tore it down. It was first the Sidney Trowbridge Miller home, a very old Detroit family. The house is listed in W. Hawkins Ferry's "Buildings of Detroit" book.
Of course it's a shame that they tore down the Henry Ford II mansion on Lake Shore Rd, also.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We love Grosse Pointe."

Well Grosse Pointe doesn't love you.

His "renovated carriage house" at the foot of Washington Rd. is horrendous, and shame on them for tearing down another great old house. I thought we were well past the 50s-70s era of tearing down good architecture, but apparently not.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Of course it's a shame that they tore down the Henry Ford II mansion on Lake Shore Rd, also.

Actually the Deuce tore down his own mansion to build what is now Windemere Place. He was part of the original development team.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya gotta love this quote from the article....

Rippolone makes a good case that he and his wife consulted with building experts and local historians, and that the house was too costly to save. So he preserved a large amount of the home's features to use in his other projects.

"I'm all about bringing back old homes," Rippolone said. "My wife and I love old houses. That house was filled with asbestos and not up to the standards of today. There was mold."

Based on his criteria, 95% of the homes in the Grosse Pointes are beyond saving! And they make it sound as though Josephine Ford didn't do a good job of maintaining the old house. Yeah right.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 647
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He says he's willing to talk to anyone about it. Why not go and speak with him before making judgements on the condition of the house. Does anyone here really know? No.

So don't judge if you don't know what that house needed.

Patrick

Post Number: 3869
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, coming from the same douche that drives his vintage fire truck up to some ice cream shop to buy gallons of some dago style ice cream every week. Guess he would buy several $50 gallons of this shit and simply throw most of it out. He said that he just likes to have it around.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas...

There is a lot of background to this story.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More power to him. He married way up and now he can do whatever he wants. He should give dating seminars.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's who owns that fire truck. Ah...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: what the hell is dago style ice cream?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it is good.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the "dago style ice cream" is in reference to gelato than Patrick is not only offensive but also wrong. Gelato is made with milk, not cream.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son.

Scs100

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice quote Jelk. Although, in honesty, Gelato is the best type of ice cream I've ever had. Lets see if it stands up to Germany's ice cream.

Gistok

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Scs100, many of the best ice cream parlors in Germany are owned and operated by Italians.

... still thinking about the "Spaghetti Eis" at the Italian run Cafe Cortina in Coburg Germany, where they put the vanilla ice cream thru a "potato ricer" to make it resemble spaghetti, with raspberry sauce as the pasta sauce, and coconut sprinkles as the Parmesan cheese... yummy!

Boy talk about thread jacking!! :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas... as an eastsider (SCS), I read the Grosse Pointe News all the time, and have read extensively on what this "colorful" individual has done in the Pointes.

Are you well versed on his antics?

Scs100

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My German teacher once showed my class a picture of some German ice cream. Oh man, I started drooling in my seat :-)

Patrick

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk you know you're buddies with him. Admit it. You two go out for Gelato every Monday night and talk the latest GP gossip. Maybe if you're lucky somebody that used to pick on you in HS will come up to you and act like they know you.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not well versed. Do tell.
In this instance it seems his razing of the place is hard to criticize because no one really know the extent of the damage.

though maybe his McMansion is horrendous

Patrick

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How expensive is asbestos removal in a home of that size?

Scs100

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For starters, there is no gossip in GP. It's that boring. Second of all, I didn't know Jelk lived in GP until last month.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have gathered, is that Josephine had not updated her house in a number of years. Many homes in Grosse Pointe haven't been touched in years. The house we bought was mint green every where, floors and walls. It hadn't been touched since the 60's. Also Josephine's house had a lot of add ons that didn't fit well together. I think Dream talked about this in the weathervane post if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember where I heard it from for sure though.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just can't fathom what this guy is doing. Beautiful house...beautiful location, yet he's unappreciative. He's a typical slob that wants everything new and bigger, and Ms. Ford, who should represent the history of Detroit and Grosse Pointe better, is complying.

I'd exchange the loss of some more Fords to Oakland County for the preservation of a nice house.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.