Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Midtown: A risk worth taking? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown: A risk worth taking?

Developers have spent $1.6B since 2000 on Detroit area long considered dangerous.

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/B IZ/701090342/1001

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed reading this article. Thank you, Detroitman, for linking me to it.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Midtown [Cass Corridor to us old timers] is the best investment venue in the City of Detroit. It is filled with stable institutions like Wayne State, the DIA, CCS, and the Medical Center. Making it especially attractive are the 50 + cultural venues within walking distance with downtown not that far away with all of its sports and other venues.

Yes, crime is an issue but crime is always relative in terms of perception. Compared to, say, two or three decades ago when that area was a declining high crime artist bohemia district of dilapidated flophouses, it is now far more secure. The perception, which is correct, is that it is getting safer which added to its attractions will make its appeal continue to grow. The new residents with their money and connections will demand and get even more security.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8127
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to improve the area is to move there.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the article was a nice read, but I felt that the negatives were more "jabs" or sneers than actual facts being pointed out. I felt the article matched it's title quite well, but overall it was the typical type of article I would expect a jaded non-City-of-Detroiter to write. Sneering that people would actually spend $200k-$300k for a condo in a neighborhood where "shady" things may still go down on occasion. Kinda reminds me of our "friends" who all told us we were making a huge mistake buying in Brush Park, 5 years ago.

The fact is, as more people move into the neighborhood with money and expectations, the more the neighborhood will change. 6 years ago, the neighborhood was scary. 2 years ago, it was managable. Today I hardly recognize it.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The investment cost is well worth it especially if you are a casual user of crack and other street drugs. You don't have to drive to pick them up which lessens the chance that your car will be impounded if arrested. Prostitutes are also within walking distance of your loft and their mobility to and from your place of residence can result in discounts for services rendered.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoushua: Are there any VD clinics nearby that you find especially convenient?

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the article is a fair assessment of the current state of affairs in midtown- to sugarcoat anything is pointless.

as for mrjoshua- if you are looking for the highest possible return on investment than midtown might not be right for you. quality of life means a lot of different things to different people and to assume that it all boils down to dollar and cents only for every resident of midtown is stupid.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me it means unfettered access to easily obtainable/competitively priced street drugs and ladies of the night. DetroitStylin sold me on this area for the above reasons and I'm determined to see it through.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks, just go up the Lodge to Hermann Kieffer Hospital. If you're bold enough to ask that in public I'd suggest going right away.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3414
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua, I think they miss you on Non-Detroit issues... go back to that neighborhood where your predilections are more appreciated....

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrJoshua, if you dont want to get those drugs in midtown/brushpark , while your at it ,don't forget you can always hop in your car and drive to downtown Royal Oak and Birmingham as you can buy them there also, with the right connections, only in a much more upscale enviroment. The prostitutes are also readily available in those areas also,, Only problem out there is you cant walk to baseball games, football games, prime theater, opera etc.. Gee, sounds like those folks there have to drive to our area for some of the more enjoyable things to do.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 09, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The development and gentification of Cass Corridor and medical district is to me a success. Higher demand of megalofts and supercondos had lured lots of hip cool skinny white kids into that area.

(Message edited by danny on January 10, 2007)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in downtown, or anywhere in this city has some challenges, to be sure....but JT1 said it best earlier, when he said that if you want to improve an area, move there. I am also a city resident who is starting to resent people from outside the city (who have no intention of living or coming here) pointing fingers at everything that we do right or wrong. There are alot of things wrong with the city.....the greatest of which is the fact that alot of good people don't live here.....even the ones pointing their fingers.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm VD free!

I assumed Mrjoshua was not considering he was partaking in all the local "action."

Nice one Detroitplanner

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrjoshua,

Crawl back under the rock from whence you came. Quickly, before the worms on your back begin to dry.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a Detroiter, Futurecity, I can see where you're coming from with your request.

I am simply reinvesting my hard-earned money back into pockets of the CoD that need it most. Yes, this is being somewhat of a hedonistic Robinhood of sorts, but it benefits everyone in the end.

Jt1

Post Number: 8137
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but it benefits everyone in the end.

Hopefully no pun intended.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and my cousins drove down to the Fox theater to see White Christmas and they all went to Wayne State and they are like " Wow I hardly reconize it. This area is so much better!!"

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A risk worth taking? Seems to me that developers answered this question years ago with a yes. Midtown isnt nearly as risky a place to live or invest as it was 5-10 years ago.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been Living in Midtown now for about 4 years and I've noticed the dramatic change in only four years, but I can't help wonder whether or not things will slowdown when the residents who may previously come from built-up /developed suburbs who choose to live down here, still don't have some communitiy amenities that they may be used to/enjoy. Not to sound uppity or anything but more places like Avalon (specialty food stores and Markets) MCBC, Mantra, Amsterdam Coffeehouse, and other gathering and retail spots indicative of a thriving energetic artistic neighborhood. Even basic amenities like more dry cleaners, Laundrymats-missing 2nd street!-more walkable chain drugstores or comparable independent market cleaner, safer greenspaces, streetcleaning etc. I don't mean to try to suburbanize midtown, because majority of what i enjoy about it is it's difference to suburbs, but those are things that i would like to see more of and i think would further entice more developers and residents to the area. Some thoughts i suppose...

Also does anyone think that Midtown Re-development/restoration will surpass the overall speed of downtown/CBD redev. in terms of (but not restricted to) land value, commercial space occupied, number of new developments and percentage of available residential units filled (taking into account space and limitations available by respective locations). Does Midtown have the possibility to be the Anchor Redev. space in Detroit's future and the Downtown area will follow? Love to hear some ideas and thoughts!

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just moved out of Midtown. It's not a terrible place to live but if you're trying to be legit with your auto insurance and pay taxes then it can get somewhat pricey. I'm 23 with a perfect driving record and insurance was upwards of $300/mo. Income taxes for residents who work in the burbs is 2.5%. Rent was very reasonable in midtown. This is pretty par for the course everywhere in Detroit though.

I lived in the Belcrest (5440 Cass) and found it to be a pretty well run place with convenient parking. I had a skyline view but just couldn't afford it (and didn't go to WSU) so I moved just east of Alter Rd.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so I moved just east of Alter Rd.

Quitter.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown versus Midtown for residents; interesting thought and idea. I sorta doubt that they are necessarily competing as they have different markets. I would guess that Midtown is more for college age/young professionals whereas downtown would only be for those who can afford it. I would guess that the average person all else being equal would rather live downtown. Certainly the scale of Midtown is more similar to what those moving in from the burbs might be familiar with and has more of a neighborhood feel; downtown would have more of a feeling of larger city. The more that I think about it, they are different markets.

Which one will have more residents/higher percentage of occupancy is probably also a toss up....

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quitter.

That's alright, I still spent more time living in the city than about 80% of this forum.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't believe downtown is necessarily more desirable... though it has a big city feel that midtown lacks,

midtown BEATS downtown in cultural attractions, parties, art galleries, independent music venues, grocery stores, etc... plus unique things such as avalon, eastern market, etc... are so handy... until we get public transit,i don't think i could live in the CBD myself... everything i do is up on this end...

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A State Farm agent in Midtown informed me that local auto insurance rates were dropping by nearly 30 percent within a few months. I'm not sure why, but this is a welcome development.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A State Farm agent in Midtown informed me that local auto insurance rates were dropping by nearly 30 percent within a few months. I'm not sure why, but this is a welcome development.

I think it is because so many have found the convenience of walking to their dealer's locale that the incidence of accidents related to drug use have plummeted.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown does have more of the 'neighborhood' attractions, but the CBD has a nice share of the classy bars, sporting venues, and lots of 'high culture' attractions from the Opera House to the DAC...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus CBD has Bouzouki!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved from Woodbridge to Downtown and I love it here. I love going for walks at night and people watching, walking to the Y and Sweet Loraine's. Tons of good bars and I'm a Lions and Tigers season ticket holder. Ironically enough my parents stayed at the Atheneum on New Years and their room looked directly into my place.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but chitaku, how are you going to get the "united we stand," th ebest coney in the city?

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the party at Mantra Chinatown that was mentioned at the beginning of the News article [one of the "gaggle of college kids"] and it was [as all Mantra parties are] fabulous.

Do yourselves a favor and check it out... it's a risk worth taking.

P.S. I'm surprised nobody has brought up how funny "a risk worth taking" is.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also enjoy living downtown,, live in Lafayette Park, walk to many things I like to do on the weekends,, Greektown, Eastern Market, RenCen, Campus Martius, Baseball- Football games, jazz and art festivals,,, I think its a great place to live,,

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 980
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Among the locals who wander by to chat up the revelers is Howard Boston, 41. He offers a swig from the $9 bottle of booze he's wrapped in a brown paper bag, then asks a statuesque woman who looks like a fashion model where she lives.

"South Beach," she replies, referring to trendy Miami Beach.

that's the trendy "old miami" beach, right?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us posted on the State Farm Insurance thing... That sounds like a good thing.

Jt1

Post Number: 8148
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30% off on State Farm rates is still considerably more than many other carriers.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl, yes... South Beach is the Art Deco district of old Miami Beach. After it was saved from "the wrecking ball of bigger developments" by Barbara Ann Capitman and other preservationists in the 70's-80's, it became the very trendy hot spot known today as South Beach.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AndyLinn the best coney in town is Duly's in Southwest!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.