Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Marshall Fredericks Spirit of Detroit is in Need of Restoration « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Spirit of Detroit by Sculptor Marshall Fredericks is in dire need of help. What can be done.

THERE IS AN UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF RAIN DAMAGE

THESE ARE AX MARKS

THE MARBLE IS ACTUALLY CRACKING.FROM THE WEATHER DAMAGE

THIS ROD ACTUALLY BLOWS IN THE END

THE RED WINGS SHIRT HAS EFFECTED THE METAL OF THE SPIRIT OF DETROIT

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/Spirit_Of_Detroit_Downtown_Michigan.htm

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is shocking. The height of irresponsibility for a city to allow it's very image to come to such condition. A shame and embarrassment to the city's highest officials from the top down.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The symbol of the city is breaking? That can't end well. Maybe since it's right outside of their building, city council will actually renovate the Spirit of Detroit.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this gets more press it will probably be handled relatively quickly mainly by private donations.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5016
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! This single-handedly symbolizes the crumbling of Detroit! Why I never! *faints*

I agree with Mayor sekou. Let the media get a hold this, and it'll be fixed in weeks.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like a perfect job for Engineered Demolition.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they just head over to the hardware store and pick up some paint?

Forum blue would be a nice color.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4214
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ax marks? How did that happen?

Now I would definitely fix the structural aspects of the Spirit of Detroit if that's what's wrong but as far as the coloration of the statue, that's the patina. I believe it is supposed to age like that or at least I think that's what the intent was of Marshall Fredericks. There is a certain charm about watching the coloration age- as long as it doesn't end up bring structurally damaging.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk.....LOL!!!!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the veining pattern on that hand. Imagine deliberately planning that. That would be genius.

The marble damage is troubling though.

What does "THIS ROD ACTUALLY BLOWS IN THE END" mean? Should that be "... blows in the wind?"

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have met Giorgio Gikas whose eastside Detroit company Venus Bronze Works has restored several bronze statues [General Macomb in front of the BC, Goodfellow statue on Belle Isle, Hazen Pingree and Maybury at GCP come to mind].

As I understood it there are funds and an ongoing effort to restore the bronze works of Detroit and I now wonder if the Spirit of Detroit is on the list. Not to be spoil sport, but the money spent to drape it in sports jerseys could have contributed a lot to the cost.

Here is an article on Giorgio from our friends at theDetroiter.com.

http://www.thedetroiter.com/OC T03/venuspage.html

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive heard it will need about $200,000 in repairs.

Scs100

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it means the wind is blowing it into the shoulder.

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

200K to repair the sculpture? Isn't that what the pool repairs cost? And the pool repairs were SO needed because "dignitaries" came to visit Kwame at home and he couldn't afford to be seen with a crumbling pool. I need a break from this insanity.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe someone here stated it would be 80k in repairs, though I imagine my source was closer to the correct figure because of his position, though I could be wrong.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand there were a lot more ax mark's at the Manoogian pool after Carlita chased Kwame when she learned there were strippers at that famous party. \jk

Rjk

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I correct in assuming that the statue had never previously had the green cleaned off of it and this an unencumbered aging process since 1958?

In reference to the patina drippings, I wonder how the Statue of Liberty looked when she was closing in on 50 years of age? She certainly has aged to a healthy green.

Scs100

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder the media picked up on that so quickly. Wonder why the headline "Mayor's Wife Attempts Murder on Mayor" didn't appear? :-)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, there has been restoration in the past.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What does "THIS ROD ACTUALLY BLOWS IN THE END" mean?

If you don't know, we can't tell you.

Scs100

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tell us that a Scrapper did not try to axe off a piece of Spirit

Rjk

Post Number: 591
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the ax marks at?

I thought maybe they were trying to turn it into a Venus de Milo, but it doesn't appear that they were hacking at the arms.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say move it to the foot of Woodward and move the fist in front of CAY. City council does not deserve the symbol of the city outside their building and needs something more fitting. In all seriousness, that should be the next building to be demolished in the city of Detroit. That is some valuable land that they are sitting on and is a waste of tax revenue; move somewhere else and sell the land. Why not move everything to a newly renovated MCS? The police, city, county ect……I know, only a pipe dream; but that land is too valuable to waste on government buildings.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, it'll be fine. There is artwork that has survived hundreds of years. It is outside too, so you can expect what has happed to happen...

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is an enormous distinction between artwork that has survived outdoors for hundreds of years and our climate and enviroment of the past fifty years.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This man seems to know his craft

here he is giulding the gold

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/Spirit_Of_Detroit__UAW_Builder_Detroit_Michigan.htm

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/Beaumont_Hospital_Royal_Oak_Michigan.htm

ITS A BIG JOB, FOR A BIG MIND

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That "resteration site" looks interesting.

What is the difference between a restoration and a cleaning?

I thought I saw on antiques roadshow that removing the patina significantly reduces the value of the item.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does. There is no need to remove the patina, it actually protects it...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"She certainly has aged to a healthy green."

It was her Taco Bell diet.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has anyone sent a complaint to the city council

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is actually a wasp nest in the eye, and nose of the spirit of detroit.

How can we let this be?

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall Fredericks "The Family" sculpture restoration at Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak Michigan

http://www.candgnews.com/news_ item.asp?p=2004%5Cseptember%5C 1%5Croyaloakreview%5Cstatue.ht ml

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behold the power of DetroitYes!

WJBK will be doing a story on the condition of The Spirit of Detroit on Monday Jan, 15, 2007.
There is a rumor that our very own Metaldoctor will be interviewed.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks Metaldoctor is plugging hisself dutifully and rightfully. More power, Md and may you get the job soon.

Good plan and sketches, BTW. I love stuff like that.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!!! the media got a hold of this story!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they just paint the Spirit like they did to the fist?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! That was actually a pretty well produced piece for local news.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that was nice to see, and yes, suprisingly well documented.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone get a recording of the segment? Possible youtube?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damm, comcarp blacked out WJBK tonight in my area. I didn't get to see it!
Angry letter going to the cable co.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WJBK story is online on their website.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?con tentId=2073295&version=5&local e=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId =5.7.1

Hardway
Username: Hardway

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode past the Spirit of Detroit by Sculptor Marshall Fredericks yesterday and I don’t see any reason to restore it. It is a perfect representation of the slow death of the city. Oh the ax marks are from the scrapers trying cash in on the death of the city.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the attention architectural ornamental metal work and sculpturing is getting is getting lately, maybe there is hope.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode past the Spirit of Detroit by Sculptor Marshall Fredericks yesterday and I don’t see any reason to restore it. It is a perfect representation of the slow death of the city. Oh the ax marks are from the scrapers trying cash in on the death of the city.

Woohoo! Another new naysayer joins the fray! Welcome! You'll fit right in with all the others.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go toast the kind souls who are financing the restoration of the Spirit of Detroit. People unlike yourself.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restoration project of the spirit as well as the restoration of the sculptures on the Wayne county court house could be the super bowl of all sculpture restorations. Museums, universities collages and many other institutions and individuals around the world would be eager to gather and record the knowledge and craftsmanship it would takes to take on such projects.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am eager to find out about the details of bidding process..............does anyone know?

Me2007
Username: Me2007

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These sculptures must be massive and are currently beautiful. Just think what they must look like when or if they are fully restored. just think what the spirit of Detroit would look like fully restored.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patina information
Please read carefully!!!
http://www.northernlightstudio .com/patinalec.php

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone knows the status of the restoration process or has been canceled, or has it been handled in secretly.

Marshall Fredericks American Sculptor, Cranbrook, Michigan

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note that I did not intend to discredit, downgrade or embarrass anyone, I love Detroit and my heritage and I feel that if I don’t that the art and craftsmanship would lost forever, therefore prompting me to post pictures and text of the problems that I see. Architectural ornamental metal work is my lifetime conviction and I stand ready for twenty years to make Detroit a better place. Again my most sincere apologies to anyone I have offended.

Sincerely,

The Metal-Doctor

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.