Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Port of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the new Port of Detroit terminal done??
I looked on their website they said it would be done in late 06'

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11094
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. I talked to somebody within the city recently that said it has been an engineering nightmare. It seems that there are many issues to be dealt with. In addition to the strong current, there is also a main storm drain for the city that exits into the river there. The ventilation system for the tunnel to Windsor is also close by and of concern. In addition, I was told that the bottom surface itself was posing problems, or something along those lines. They have a very small window to work within with everything in the area. I was told that from an engineering stand point, you couldn't have found a more difficult area to build the terminal at.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far along is it? Might it be too late to find a better location?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah thats what I was wondering

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, only site prep it appears. And a nice glossy sign attached to the fence bearing Kwame's name and a beuatiful rendering of the new port to be completed SOON!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5006
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News from John Kerr of the Port Authority (which I think I left in another thread) said that the authority is waiting for MDOT to approve their choice for the construction management team. MDOT only meets monthly, and in December there was no meeting because of the holidays. The next meeting is on the 25th of this month. If their team is approved, construction would start immediately after, so look for work to start in February if their construction management team is approved.

It will have 20,000 square feet on two floors with. The top floor would house the Port Authority offices, and the bottom floor all of the things that come along with a terminal (baggage areas, processing, ticket offices, restrooms, etc.). They are currently deciding on whether or not to add education/interpretive exhibits on the first floor.

Lastly, they anticipate a 9 to 12 month construction period.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 06, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it isn't too late to pick a better site? The only disadvantage it sounds like would be the $$ they have put into it so far and the fact that they sent out the documents for contractors to bid on...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 695
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the Bates street outfall that caused a lot of problems.

Kwame's name will not be all over it. The port authority is not part of City government.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign says completion May 2007----not likely is it?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only referring to the sign posted about the development with Kwames name and expected completion date. Did not mean to imply that this port authority would be named after him, or anything like that.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God, don`t let him start like CAY, plastering his name all over every park and public facility in the city. Bugged the shit outta me as a kid, like, who cares who the mayor is especially when the grass was rarely cut and/or cared for properly.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK sniffs out news mikes and cameras and makes a bee line that way. If you'd whip out your cell phone that has a mini-camera, he'd pose for you.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, this thread sort of made me wonder where is the current Port of Detroit?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case anybody's interested in the amount of trade for the various US ports, Metro Detroit ranks fourth on the Great Lakes, slightly ahead of Cleveland and way behind Duluth-Superior or Chicago. All of the Great Lakes ports have but a tiny fraction of the trade of the major ports.

stats

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I would image Detroit wouldn't simply rank up there that high for Sea Port traffic (being rather inland and not as large as Chicago), but it certainly does rank high for truck traffic.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,

The Port of Detroit is at the foot of Clark Street it Southwest Detroit. It's a few blocks west/southwest of the Ambassador Bridge.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duluth-Superior is the #1 port on the Great Lakes, hands down--nearly twice the tonnage as Chicago and nearly three times Detroit's. Many foreign ships are likely to shun Detroit entirely because of Michigan's stringent, new ballast law.

Again, Michigan is driving away business at a time when it can least afford to. We don't live and (hopefully) work in a vacuum. It might have been better to hold off on such legislation until after the state's economy ever improves.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5015
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why? This is simply about adding a dock for better public access to the river. Seriously, why are you so against anything that will improve any kind of transportation in this region? It doesn't matter what it is, you seem to have nothing but negative things to say, and it's getting old and stale as hell.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.