Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will probably be in Detroit on Saturday, and thought it would be cool to check out the famous Eastern Market on a Saturday market day.

Do you guys have any favourites at the market that are a must visit for someone at the market?

Treats I could bring back to T.O.

Any must see places in the market, let me know. Thanks.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The great Rafal Spice is one of my personal favorites.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on Rafal Spice Co. it is a gift to your senses.
Don't miss the Hirt Cheese Company. Old fashioned cheese counter.

Breakfast or lunch at the RUSSEL STREET DELI is a good bet.

Have fun.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't miss Vivio's (restaurant). Or, the oldest Detroit restaurant, the Roma Cafe.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Germack nuts

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Rocky's and gets lots of CANDY!!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There aren't any other stores like Rafal Spice Company: that would be my first recommendation. The nuts at Germack's are, to me, the best anywhere. When at Hirt Cheese Co., go upstairs to see the stock of baskets that they carry. Also, if you need to use a restroom, the one on the first floor of Hirt, in the back, by the stairs, is one of the best in the market. My final pick would be a sausage sandwich at the meat shop, several doors south of Hirt.

Enjoy your day!

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummmm, any issues with bringing Market acquisitions back to Canada? Mainly thinking of produce, spices and such.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to Roma's, make sure you don't let them refill your soft drink. They will tack on another $2.50 to your bill. Water is still free, of course.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivio's. for sure in the early afternoon, check out Heather's SASS upstairs, more than likely you'll find at least a couple of forumites there.

My plans are to meet up with a couple around 1, just ask Heather.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell St deli offers a tasty breakfast and lunch menu if you work up an appetite

Miketoronto

Post Number: 439
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info dudes. So where is this forum meet upstairs?

I will have architecture city buffs from Toronto as well as my friend from Detroit should be coming. Would be nice to say hi.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11093
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it you didn't mean you were visiting today eh? Things start winding down after noon. Fair warning, the market is only a fraction of it's size right now. The summer months see at least double, perhaps triple the vendors it seems. As a relative newbie to the market (I know, took be about 5 years), I have now become a regular most every Saturday.

Perhaps the must see I would suggest is the karaoke at Bert's. The smell of those sweet, succulent ribs will draw me in for a plate full one of these days.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, send "Pants" at Vivio's a glass of whiskey.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Russell Street Antiques. I have found great stuff there and the cool guys that run it don't rob you.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero,

Mostly when I travel back and forth between Ontario and Michigan I have had trouble with citrus fruit (of all things). You can check at Canada customs before you come in to Michigan to see if anything is controlled. Spices I think would be OK; produce I'd be more inclined to wonder about.

Alcohol, there's some limit. Bringing hooch from Ontario to Michigan you have to have been in Ontario 48 hours or you have to pay a duty (or lie about how long you were in Ontario). It's more relaxed going the other way but I don't know all the details.

Have fun!
Professor Scott

Miketoronto

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info dudes.

It is going to be a little meet this Saturday in Detroit, with my Detroit friends, some forumers we have coming in from Charlotte, plus all the Toronto guys coming.

If any of you want to join a Architecture/city geek group this Saturday, let me know :-)

My email for things like this is

michaelb_@hotmail.com

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, I wish that I lived in Detroit to join you guys. I will hopefully be coming this summer, and hope to meet some of you folks then!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Gratiot Central Market mmmmmm Raw Meat!!!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt about it- RJ Hirt CO- One of the best cheese selections in N. America at great prices and free tastings.

A Detroit Jewell

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.