Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Historical Museum Winter 2007 Behind the Scenes Tours & History Lectures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Historical Museum has announced their Winter 2007 offerings of Behind the Scenes Tours and Sunday History Lectures.

Among the Behind the Scenes Tours, which are held on Saturdays, are tours of the Fisher Building, Renaissance Center, Gem Theatre, Redford Theatre, Fox Theatre, Scarab Club, and Guardian Building. These tours are designed to take you into areas of the buildings not generally open to the public!! For dates and details: http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=20

Among their Sunday History Lectures are programs on Art Deco Architecture in Detroit, the Glancy Trains, the Dodge Brothers and other Auto Barons, the Detroit Yacht Club and Belle Isle, and Downtown Detroit Movie Palaces. For dates and other details: http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=11

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great set of events! I am sad that I live in New York and cannot attend! The tours look particularly great. I would love to do the Fisher, Guardian, and Fox Theater ones, and probably several others, too. If you go to any, I would love to see your pictures.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, I'll be taking several of these tours. But given the frequency and cost of all of the tours, it would be easy to fill up your calendar and to empty your $$$ taking them all!!! Good job by the DHS in putting this all together!!!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one of the coolest museums I have ever seen. I'm definitely going to find the time to go back soon.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going on the Fox one since I missed seeing the Fox on the Pres Wayne theater tour last summer. Will you be attending that one Kathleen?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam. Yes, that's one of the tours I'm taking, as I haven't been able to make the annual PW Theatre Tour for various reasons. It's been 25 years since I got the full behind the scenes tour treatment of the Fox!! See you there!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 833
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, see you Kathleen. (Should we wear nametags? :-))

Kathleen

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been working on something like that...hopefully you'll be able to spot me!

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there too. Starting to see some regulars. I love Detroit tours!

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll see a couple of Preservation Wayne guides helping with the DHS tours--kudos to the Historical Society for putting these tours together. FYI...The Annual Theater Tour is tentatively set for August 18th.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.