Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Police hunt suspect in city's fourth murder this week « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This week has been very disappointing..

DETROIT -- Police are looking for the person who shot a man during a robbery this morning on the city's near west side.

The shooting happened about 1 a.m. as one man attempted t rob another on the 6000 block of 14th Street near a boarding house, police said. The victim attempted to run from the suspect when he was shot at least once.

Investigators did not release the victim's name, but said he was a Detroit resident. No one was arrested in the shooting.

The slaying is the fourth this week. Two people were stabbed to death at Chris Chelios' restaurant, Chelli's Chili Bar, on Tuesday morning, and a woman was killed in a landmark Greektown church on Wednesday.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070105/UPDAT E/701050438

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes murders happen in every city...but 4 in one week can't be good. Out of control.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7332
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four in one week would be awesome. If Detroit had 4 murders per week, we'd have 208 annually.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good lookin out, but you know what I mean...3 were downtown...

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Itsjeff. We still have the weekend, though.

Is the 6000 block of 14th Street near Corktown?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no its between grand bvld and 94

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7333
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Itsjeff. We still have the weekend, though.

At least 2007 isn't a leap year. That'll help shave the number down.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11088
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It only seems higher than normal because the news has reported on every one. This year I believe we ended with over 400 murders, that averages out to slightly more than 1 per day. I'd hardly say things are out of control, as in fact they are right about on par with past years.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets try to keep count and details of every murder this year.
1. Chelis murders
2. Greektown Baptist Church murder
3. Near Westside robbery/murder

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Cmubryan.

We should be hearing about every single one. Put a face to the names. Make them known. Maybe then people would start caring enough to do something about it.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now San Francisco knows how to have a crime wave:

"San Franciscans have been shocked in recent months by crimes related to finding places to park, including an attack in September in which a young man was killed trying to defend a spot he had found. More recently, the victims have been parking control officers — do not call them meter maids — who suffered four attacks in late November, and two officers went to a hospital."

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I have a question. Four murders in a week is definitely below the city average, as indicated above. But what would the average number be in January? In the colder months, I would imagine crime would be slightly lower than in the warmer months, when more people are outside.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should definitely pick up over the spring and summer. This thread is only getting started.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more that are all but forgotten aready...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070109/NEW S02/701090302

that makes 6 that we know of now.

A few years ago a drug dealer was gunned down in front of my place. I saw him carted away in an ambulance (that was in no hurry at all) and then saw the teddy bear tree the next day, but never heard a peep about it on the news or in the papers. Never even heard what his name was, just that he was a known drug dealer.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5029
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman, deep winter and deep summer are the surge seasons. In one, you have a lot more outdoor interaction, and with one you have a lot more indoor interaction.

I kind of wonder how many more murder threads are going to be started, and how much more hype this is going to get? I kind of wonder why some seem so surprised, when this has been going on for decades on in in most established urban areas? This is not an argument about ignoring homicides, but I really don't get the genuine surprise as if we've had some social revolution in this country that have made high homicide counts surprising or more unacceptable. We're not going to see significant drops in murder rates until we see a huge social revolution where murder becomes more taboo and human life made more sacred, and/or until we either legalize some drugs (or all illegal drugs), or stop the drugs at our borders and ports before they get to the cities.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this crap about social revolution and drug legalization is just that, crap.If someone is willing to kill another person over drugs or money then they are not going to suddenly become moral because drugs are legalized.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5030
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're never going to get rid of those people. But, you're going to get rid of A LOT the people that would not have entered the drug game in the first place if it were not made so lucrative by forcing it underground. It's the same thing that we've been smart enough to realize happens in with quite a few things we've made illegal (i.e. alcohol, abortions...). It's ridiculous anyone thinks that this current society is normal in any way. It's not, it's abnormal, and it's abnormal for many reasons one of the largest being the illegalization of the drug trade and pushing it way underground, making it more dangerous than it would be otherwise. Calling my description of some major problems "crap" is hardly good enough, and you know better, and you're mature than that, I hope.

It's too bad you don't try to turn on your critical thinking skills. My use of the world 'revolution' clouded your mind so much, despite the fact that nothing short of some huge cultural change (barring the legalization of illegal drugs) in this nation that's going to lower this murder rate in any significant way. I'm not just talking out of my ass.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 12, 2007)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in South Bend, we've already had five murders this year. The creepy thing is that there's presently a killer preying on the city's homeless. Four of the five victims were homeless men, murdered and dumped into utility manholes. Two of them were just discovered this afternoon.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez, were they strangled with phone or electric cord? scalded with live steam? who other than a former utility worker would think to dump them in manholes? well, maybe a construction guy who thinks utility workers are jerks.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, the homeless victims died of severe head trauma and were then dumped into the manholes. Apparently, they were all metal scrappers as well.
http://www.southbendtribune.co m/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2 0070112/News01/70112030

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5768
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan said: "Lets try to keep count and details of every murder this year."

Not sure why, but you won't find much enthusiasm for that on these threads.

However, there was orgasmic enthusiasm by more than a few here for trying to find and keep track of Republican scandals. Where are these same folks when it comes to something that has far more impact on the COD?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets keep this thread going all year around make this a Super Crime thread if you will. I think keeping informed of whats really happening in the city crime wise is a good thing.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 986
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not terribly interested in seeing this forum keep the accounting of every murder this year, but i think this is critical information that should be readily accessible to the public. it's too bad that forum members feel the need to maintain, and make available, information that our public officials should provide. it's yet another grievance against the city leaders who are so widely disconnected from the interests of the citizens - except when they're schmoozing the public in the weeks preceeding elections. it's more proof that detroit's leadership is interested in steering contracts to friends and family, and raiding the city's coffers, while hushing the fact that the dreams, goals, and lives of so many detroiters perish every day under the present administration.

just the other night, i saw a story on the late news. apparently, a family in detroit heard noises in their home, but thought it was their dog. moments later, someone appeared in the bedroom of the parents, and shot and killed the father of the household in his bed. a child who was sleeping in the home that night was interviewed, crying, that he would never see his dad again. the suggested motive is that the murdered victim was witness to a recent double homicide, and was silenced.

i don't often watch the late news, and if i hadn't done so that night - this would have been one more murder that passed quietly by. however, this story is so indicative of the mentality and leadership in detroit. snitching is death, and thug life rules...all the way to manoogian mansion.

Karl

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl said: "... lives of so many detroiters perish every day under the present administration."

Then Thecarl said: "... so indicative of the mentality and leadership in detroit. snitching is death, and thug life rules...all the way to manoogian mansion."

I suggest you focus on the root cause of the problem rather than solving nothing by blaming the mayor for a thug pulling a trigger. If you want to do things that way, blame everyone for everything, and send no one to jail.

The cause of these problems rests within the 4 walls of individual homes, not at the mayor's office. If the mayor orders up more policing, you know what happens - crime moves to where there is less policing. So fuggitaboudit.

Start - and stay - with the homes. Nothing will change until there is change there.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 987
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

karl, think for a moment.

define what a leader is. define what a leader is capable of doing.

identify someone you think of as a great leader, and describe what they did, and how.

detroit is in need of that great leader, karl.

Karl

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

However, great leaders have passed thru Detroit. When it comes to "cleaning up the streets" they have met great resistance.

Perhaps you can point to other American cities who have recovered from the same problems Detroit has had. What have their leaders done? How did they overcome resistance when they dealt with crime? What is the makeup of their population?

Looking back over the past 50 years, why do you think American Indians have not rioted? How about Mexicans? Is it great leadership? If so, who? What about their home life? What prevented riots? Looting?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4554
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wounded Knee?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.