Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Organized Crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Luv313
Username: Luv313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished reading the new book by the Arcadia press named "Motor City Mafia" and I find it hard to believe the author's claim that Detroit has the strongest most profitable crime organization in the country. What's been the news about the mob lately?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's been the news about the mob lately?"

ever wonder where the phrase from fight club came from? those who are in fight club, don't talk about fight club...

Luv313

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plenty of those who are not "in" the fight club, but know all about the fight club.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And those that know all about the fight club, that know better than to talk about the fight club.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i still wouldn't expect too many of those people to come forward though...

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find this book anywhere. Has anyone spotted it at the local book stores?

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I saw it at Borders downtown where they have all the Detroit books.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard the Mafia in Detroit have a controlling interest in the Strip Bars, nothing new there. For years casa nostra have been providing us with our vices. Who do we think wholesales the drugs to our favorite pushers and crack houses?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in the movie Fight Club. I am one of the fight club members, hence my user name. True story.

Luv313

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, with all the books published and newspaper articles written, one would think that we could have an intelligent thread here that could compliment whats already known. Guess not. Turns out I'm just talking to a bunch of Brad Pitt wannabees.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

luv313, if you've got something to say, then say it. no one is stopping you. all i am saying is that even though there are articles and books on this topic, the majority of the public who may or may not be in *the know* are most likely not comfortable talking about the topic.

btw, welcome to the forum. and just a suggestion, you may wanna lurk around here a bit more to get a better feel for how this place works...

(Message edited by valkyrias on January 06, 2007)

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Taco Bowman still in jail?

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeesh, I went to cancel my 500th post, since I was just kidding around, and it seemed like I should post something more ribald for post #500... oh well, post 501 here will also mention a site I linked to from here, describing a few crime groups operating in Detroit over the years. Search the forum for 'Whiteboy Rick', unless I have the name wrong...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez Val, not the warmest welcome to anyone, but
Detroit isn't known for it's warm welcomes.

Anyhoo, The Tocco family was/is a big player in the Detroit Mafia scene as far as I've read. Well known in the Grosse Pointe Communities, we all had some inkling that they were Mafia connected, but didn't really care at all. A well liked family, we were saddened to hear of their problems with the law in the last number of years. Go figure, we just knew them as nice people with money.

I hope I'm not saying too much :-)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ever wonder where the phrase from fight club came from? those who are in fight club, don't talk about fight club...

Yeah, but that didn't stop you for talking about that hit job you did for the family at the NYE party.

Oh, wait! Was I suppose to keep that a secret?

Sorry, I sometimes forget that mobsters can't always handle their booze.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been meaning to bring this up.

My good friend's father was involved in Detroit organized crime. He has an abundance of amazing stories. They would make a great book/movie.

He is getting older, and his son is worried that in time the stories will be lost. After allot of convincing the father has given in to my pal's request to tell the stories, if the right person came forward, someone who could write, and someone he would trust, this gentleman would be willing to share his stories.

His stories start when he was a 1950's street tough in SW Detroit, and weave there way to Los Vegas, and back.

I do not feel qualified to take on this project.

Does the forum have any recommendation on who to talk to? Or how to find the right person to take this man's stories and turn them into a book?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. Maybe you could find someone on this forum who has actually published a book. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Candidac y-Frank-Nemecek/dp/1413703496/ sr=8-24/qid=1168231437/ref=sr_ 1_24/105-4569914-8242843?ie=UT F8&s=books

Dan

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank,

I actually thought of you, while I was writing that post.

If you are interested I could talk it over with my friend, and get back to you.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was in the Purple Gang.

Does that count?

Valkyrias

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kath...i think it was a helpful suggestion for someone new to the forum, i just was being matter of fact. and yes, i think you've said too much...

and fnemecek...i have no idea what you are talking about. :P

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny.. My great grandfather.. fought the purple gang on the Detroit Police gang squad.. how funny.. then my best friend Brian's Great grandfather used to be a rum runner..lol

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Val, there is no way I've said too much!

You're being funny, right?

Little_birdie
Username: Little_birdie

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fight club author Chuck Palahniuk plugs Detroityes in 1999 interview:

What do you think of the Internet? Do you go online, and if so, which websites do you visit?

The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit. Love that site!

http://www.poprocks.com/articl es/chuck.html

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to mess with this arrogant asshole in high school who used to openly brag about his uncle's affiliation with the Toccos. He drove a $50K car to school, and one day everyone trashed it (key job, slashed tires, etc). The next day, he started screaming in the school hallway: "My uncle's gonna shoot every one of you!!!"
Of course, nothing ever happened.

Tony Soprano: "There is no mafia!"

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next day, he started screaming in the school hallway: "My uncle's gonna shoot every one of you!!!"

When he told his uncle, the guy probably said, "Keep your big mouth shut, kid."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5390
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

La Costa Nostra, Detroit's notorious Italian mob is lone gone.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think it's interesting how Detroit has gone from Organized to UNorganized crime.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't kid yourself, Danny.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3538
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the biggest organized crime heists pulled off occurred around the land acquisition for the expansion of he Jefferson assembly plant in the '80's. I don't have the exact details but it went something like this.

The famous Giacolones held some the desired property on which sat some old industrial buildings. They allegedly filled these with obsolete machine tools for which they obtained full replacement value, legally clearing something like $40 million in the deal for something worth under a million. Their were murmurs about kickbacks to the buyers who agreed to the price but nothing every came of them. [I am reminded of the $1.2 million paid out for the Detroit City Council website.]

The feds eventually convicted a bunch of the old goombas in the late nineties including some of the Giacolones and Toccos on some small charges -- the equivalent of excess parking tickets by comparison. I remember one of the Giacolones, Charlie, who was a great handball player at the downtown YMCA and a former minor leagues baseball player. Those who knew him said he was not in the family business. I was told his business was building displays at Cobo which, I guess, one could probably argue was its own legal racket.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9137
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

Maybe Walkerville Publishing would be willing to give it a look.

http://www.walkerville.com/

Valkyrias

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You're being funny, right?"

maybe :-)

little_birdie, your name is too appropriate...that is quite the 6 degrees of separation you found!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and fnemecek...i have no idea what you are talking about. :P

You don't...

Oh, I get. This the denial part of "plausible deniablity", right?

Sorry, I shouldn't push it with someone who is capable of being both assassin for the Mob (that is, if the Mob even exists) and still find time to be Quentin Tarantino's mistress.

Oh, and DAN:
Please give me a holler about that interview.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Capone got nailed because he wasn't giving a cut to the other mob boss! The Federal Gov't! Just don't pay your property taxes or your incomes taxes for a couple of years. The gang will come looking for you and render justice!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I crossed paths with Anthony "Tony Jack" Giacalone in Federal Court back in the late seventies. He was on trial for some federal rap, and I was there as a union officer on an entirely different labor matter. We happened to cross in opposite directions in a hallway, and I never saw a harder look in my life when he looked at me. I think his looks alone could kill someone.

Just one of those "ships crossing in the night" that stays with you forever.

Dan

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank,

I will talk to my friend and then call you.

I suspect he will want to talk to you several times, before you get the juicy stuff.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was youre grandfather East Detroit?.

I have always been interested in how the mob is structured. I think most of the money flows from the bottom to the top. The Detroit family probably isn't as powerful as in previous generations with most of the older more street savvy guys retiring, passing on, and getting locked up. In my years of following organized crime Ive noticed more higher ranking members turning into government informants.

Dream
Username: Dream

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former homes of Tony Giacalone and Sam Pirrone are presently on the market:

701 Balfour Road
Grosse Pointe Park
1950 - 4,800

Anthony Joseph Giacalone House

Brick colonial with twin bay windows flanking a covered front entrance proch, slate roof.

5 bedrooms, 3.1 baths, 2 car attached garage. swimming pool, hot tub and pool house.

1950-1997 Anthony Joseph “Tony Jacks” Giacalone
- (b. 1919 d. 2001)
- alleged Detroit Mafia member
-member of Ruling Council (1982-2001)
- Suspected figure involved in disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. Hoffa told family and friends he was going to meet Giacalone, when he disappeared.

1154 Balfour Road
Grosse Pointe Park
selling for $550k in 2007
1941 - 4,125
Peter Joseph Licavoli House

Peter “Pete” Joseph Licavoli - alleged member of the Detroit Mafia
- (1902-1984)
- Pietro Giuseppe Licavoli
- originally from St. Louis
- brothers:
- Yonnie “Tommy” Licavoli
- Dominic Licavoli

- the Licavolli Squad fought with the Purple Gang over bootlegging turf
- arrested 24 times
- alleged head of Detroit “numbers racket”
- member of the Chair, Detroit ruling council of dons
- alleged members included;
- Joseph Zerilli
- John “Papa John” Priziola
- Angelo Meli
- William Tocco
- Peter Licavoli
- some have alleged that he was involved with the murder of:
- crusading radio personality, Jerry Buckley (1930)
(he was arrested but not charged)
- Jackie Kennedy (a Toldeo beer baron)
- Chicago’s St. Valentines Day massacre (1929)
- owned “Grace Ranch” in Tucson, Arizona
- named after his wife
- contained an airplane landing strip
- two swimming pools
- retired New York Mob Boss, Joseph Bonanno, lived nearby

Other local FORMER homes of alleged crime figures include:

87 Webber
Grosse Pointe Shores
1961 - 3,416
Vitoe “Billy Jack” Giacalone - alleged memberof Detroit Mafia]
- identified as a mob leader in the 1963 US Senate sub committee hearings
- house raided in 1968, arrestted for possession of an ilegal black jack
- brother of Anthony “Tony Jack” Giacalone (701 Balfour, GPP)

9 Wellington
Grosse Pointe
1961 - 3,612
Michael Santo “Big Mike” Polizzi
- b. 1924 d. 1997
- son of Angelo Polizzi (Assunta Chinnici)
- alleged Consigliere of Detroit Mafia (1979-1993)

1161 Berkshire
Grosse Pointe Park
Santo “Sam” Perrone House
Sam:
- (1895-1973)
- came to US from Alcamo, Sicily
- in 1912 at age 17 began working at the Detroit Stove Works as a core maker
- in 1963 Senate Hearings, alleged to be member of Detroit Mafia
- the Senate referred to this home as being a mansion
- brought into the “rackets” by Salvatore “Sam” Catalanotte
- Catalanotte also came from Alcamo, Sicily
- reputation as a loose cannon who had a short temper and enjoyed vioence
- nicknames included “Shark” and “Enforcer”
- worked with brothers Gasper and Matteo
- arrested for 1920 murder of Angelo Russo
- charges dropped when eyewitness decided not to testify
- 1930, sentenced to 6 months for violating National Prohibition Act
- after contracted by Stove Works President, John A. Fry, their labor union problems were eased
- John A. Fry helped to secure numerous reduced criminal sentences on Perrone’s behalf
- ongoing battle with the UAW-CIO attempts to unionize Detroit Stove Works
- obtained reward of the lucrative scrapping contract with Detroit Stove, after his actions in the 1934 labor riot at Detroit Stove
- earned $65k per year
- an illiterate laborer he made a fortune from ferrous scrap removal contract with the Detroit-Michigan Stove Works
- alleged to have unlawfully interfered with the UAW-CIO attmept to organize a union
- in 1936 sentenced to 6 years in Federal penitentiary for manufacturing whiskey during Prohibition. Released early in 1939.
- within 2 months of his return to Detroit Stove Works, from prison, the UAW local was disbanded at the Jefferson Ave. plant
- in 1937 provided strongarm enforcers to back the work of Henry Ford’s labor relations manager, Harry Bennett in the infamous “Battle of the Overpass”
- in 1948 alleged to have orchestrated the shooting of UAW President Walter P. Reuther at Reuther’s home
- had Reuther used his usual side entrance Perrone’s gunman would have killed him
- in 1961 began new campaign to bomb businesses and then extort protection money
- bombed the Victor Oil Company in Detroit
- charges dropped when eyewitness learned of eh reputation of the defendant and recanted his statement
- the new leaders of the Detroit Partnership decided that Perrone live wire ways were a liability
- in 1963 Anthony Zerilli, son of Joe Zerilli, decided to remove Perrone
- Tony Giacalone allegedly placed a bomb in Perron’s car, parked at a Detroit car wash which he owned
- when Santo turned the ignition it exploded and nearly killed him, he lost his leg
- Snato fell into ill health and retired from the underworld
- replaced as labor specialist by Vincent Meli
- son in law Carl Renda) (587 Lochmoor, GPW) secured the scrap removal contract for the Briggs Manufacturing Co. Contracted by Briggs President, William Dean Robinson
- other son in law was Vincent H. Meli, the son of Angelo Meli) (1060 Devonshire, GPP)
[moved to 832 Hidden Lane, GPW]

1349 Devonshire
Grosse Pointe Park
1942 - 2,500
John “Papa John” Priziola - alleged member of Detroit Partnership
- operational leader (1948-1979)
- in 1948 took over the American faction of the Partinico, Sicily faction after Frank Coppola was deported to Italy
- Papa John expanded the American end of the syndicate to include; San Diego, Tijuana, St. Louis, New York, Cuba, Windsor, Ontario and Chicago
- member of the Chair, Detroit ruling council of dons
- arrested 17 times

1068 Bedford
Grosse Pointe Park
Matthew “Mike the Enforcer” Rubino

750 Lakepointe
Grosse Pointe Park
Paul Vitale - alleged member of Detroit Mafia

781 Middlesex Boulevard
Grosse Pointe Park
1928 - 8,000
William Tocco House

Built in 1928, this 8,000 Italian Villa style home has a red tile roof and abundant architectural detail. It contained 3 fireplaces, 2.3 baths, 2 kitchens, a Garden room, children’s playroom, main and second floor dens, lower level included a billiard room and wine cellar, servant’s quarters, 32 x 62 swimming pool with a bath house, Foyer with gold leafed wall paper installed at a cost of $15,000, Living Room had hand painted canvases of the Tocco family on the cathedral like ceiling, Dining room walls had hand painted cherubs, hand carved oak moldings rear grounds included a 3 foot lighted replica of the leaning tower of Piza in the garden filled with Italian marble statuary and a mini grape vineyard, wrought iron fence. House is rumored to have underground tunnels.

From 1928-1972 it was the home of Guglielmo Vito “William” aka “Black Bill” Tocco. Tocco was the cousin and best friend of Joseph Zerilli, who lived just down the block on the other side of this boulevard at 702 Middlesex.

702 Middlesex Boulevard
Grosse Pointe Park
1929 - 6,435

Joseph Zerilli (Josephine Finazzo) House
1929-1950 Giuseppe “Joseph” “Uno” Zerilli
- alleged Boss of the "Detroit Mafia" (1936-1977)
This grand Italian Provincial style mansion boasts a green tile roof, twin dormers off of the third floor, detailed stone work, extensive use of imported Italian marble. Originally connected by an underground tunnel to the Peter Corrado House across the street - 701 Middlesex.

701 Middlesex Boulevard
Grosse Pointe Park
1950 - 7,600

Peter Corrado House

Stately Georgian Colonial with large four columned porch.
Features an indoor fountain. Italian marble is used extensively in the foyer, seven bathrooms and “fountain room” 4 bedrooms, 6.1 baths, 3 fireplaces, 3 car garage, lot 143 x 200

1950 -1957 Pietro “Pete” Corrado - alleged Detroit mafia underboss
Dominic Peter “Fats” Corrado - son of Pietro Corrado
-1988 Anthony J. “The Bull” Corrado - son of Pietro Corrado

15515 Windmil Pointe Drive
Grosse Pointe Park
1963 - 5,000
- swimming pool, pool house with kitchen & bathroom, tennis court with overhead lights,
- 5 bedrooms, 4.0 baths, 2.5 car garage, lot 214 x 187

Anthony Joseph “Tony T” Tocco House
Tony:
- alleged Consigliere of Detroit Mafia (1993- )
- second oldest son of William “Black Bill” Tocco
(781 Middlesex, GPP)
- married daughter of Joe Profaci, the alleged Boss of the New York Mafia’s Colombo Family (1928-1962)

Interestingly in the past, local papers such as the Grosse Pointe News would give detailed stories on alleged organized crime figures. The articles would usually even list their home address and on occasions would even make derogatory comments. All the back issues of the GPN can be viewed for free on line at:
http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/

A good resource can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/jiggs 2000_us/partnership.html

Dream
Username: Dream

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the leader of the Outlaw Motorcycle Club Harry “Taco” Bowman.

Here is a repost of a previous Tocco vs. Taco thread:

Harry Joseph “Taco” Bowman, one of the FBI’s Top Ten Fugitives, lived in
a modest colonial on a quiet charming street of bungalows
and smaller colonials at
272 Mt. Vernon in Grosse Pointe Farms.

From 1996 to 1998 it was the residence of Harry Joseph “Taco” Bowman.
-Bowman was on FBI’s 1997 Top Ten Fugitive List
-caught in 1999 and now serving life sentence
-for 15 years was the alleged leader (President) of the International Outlaw Motorcycle Club
-President of Detroit Chapter since 1970
-controlled the Outlaws based in 30 cities, 20 chapters in 4 countries
-drove an armored Cadillac

From 1994 to 2003 Paul Corrado, an alleged soldier in the Detroit mafia
and son of Anthony “The Bull” Corrado (see 701 Middlesex) owned a residence just minutes away at 366 Kercheval Avenue in Grosse Pointe Farms.
Interestingly this brand new home was right next door to the oldest house in Grosse Pointe.
This was not a low key location as the historic “Provencal - Weir House” at 376 Kercheval is a public museum with regular tours and several public events and the headquarters of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.

From
http://www.law.emory.edu/11cir cuit/aug2002/01-14305.opn.html

“2. Harry Bowman
Harry "Taco" Bowman held various administrative positions within the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. He served as a regional president and national vice-president before becoming international president in 1984. Bowman conducted his presidential activities from the Outlaws clubhouse in Detroit, while living in an affluent Detroit suburb, sending his children to private schools, and driving an armor-plated Cadillac. He served as international president for thirteen years, until 1997. As international president, Bowman handled matters large and small, from setting the Outlaws' policies regarding other biker gangs to monitoring the activities of members.

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/qtaco8.htm

From a 3/15/2000 Detroit Free Press article by Joe Swickerd:

“People familiar with the case suggested that Nove Tocco chose to betray the outfit once run by his grandfather because he was stuck behind bars while Jack Tocco walked after a year and a day.
Nove Tocco is no stranger to prison. He spent from 1986 to 1990 locked up on a cocaine charge.
After his testimony, Nove Tocco, wearing prison khakis, strode out of the courtroom staring directly at relatives and former associates arrayed behind Jack Tocco. They turned, stone-faced, away from him.
Nove Tocco was flanked by U.S. marshals. Corbett said the government "will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure Mr. Nove Tocco's safety."
Nove Tocco's lawyer, Douglas Mullkoff, was not in court and could not be reached for comment. Anthony Tocco was tried with his brother and was acquitted of all charges.
In his testimony Tuesday, Nove Tocco described a strict hierarchy of crime, but one riddled by intrigue.
He testified that he and partner Paul Corrado were maneuvered by other gangsters into planning a pre-emptive killing of Harry (Taco) Bowman, international president of the Outlaws motorcycle gang and a Detroit area gambling figure.
Nove Tocco said he and Corrado were told that Bowman was out to kill them when the two men met with Corrado's uncle, Anthony Corrado, at a Clinton Township hamburger stand.
Nove Tocco said he and the Corrados took a walk in the neighborhood behind the restaurant. Tocco said that he and Paul Corrado discussed what to do.
"And we believed that for our safety's sake that we had to try and kill him first," Tocco said.
He said they were assured that Anthony Corrado and Jack and Anthony Tocco would "control the whole matter" and would offer assistance if needed. However, he said they didn't carry out the killing because they learned they were "being pushed into a conflict" by other mobsters struggling with Bowman to control a gambling spot.
The need for approval and the offer of help and advice were part of the mob's ground rules set by Jack Tocco at a 1991 meeting in an Oakland County subdivision's model home, Nove Tocco said.
Jack Tocco took over the mob in 1979, succeeding Nove Tocco's grandfather, Joseph Zerilli, and uncle Tony Zerilli, who ran it when he joined in the late 1960s, Nove Tocco said. “

and

from a Detroit Journal article:

“The government's case against Jack Tocco, his brother Anthony, underboss Anthony Joseph Zerilli and reputed old-guard "capos" or captains, Anthony (Tony Jack) Giacalone, his brother Vito (Billy Jack) Giacalone and Anthony Joseph Corrado, is built around the actions and words of Nove Tocco and Paul Corrado.
More than 700 hours of tapes of recorded conversations between the two gave agents the keys to the case.
Nove Tocco is a cousin of Jack Tocco and answered to his uncle Anthony Zerilli, according to investigators familiar with the hierarchy of the alleged organization.
Paul Corrado is the son of Dominic Corrado, a capo who died several years ago. Paul Corrado reported to his uncle, Anthony Joseph Corrado, investigators said.
Federal sources say that it was these two who convinced Jack Tocco to give his blessings to their reviving the old mob custom of forcing bookies and gamblers to pay a "tribute," or street tax, to operate.
"Whatever these two or any of the other enforcers did, they had to get permission from the boys," an investigator said, describing the racketeering and conspiracy allegations against the older men in the indictment, Zerilli, the Tocco brothers, the Giacalones and Anthony Corrado.
Jack Tocco's lawyer, Russell Williams, has described the charges as "ridiculous."
Lawyer William Buffalino II, who represents Nove Tocco and others in the case, said the allegations against his clients were rumors and innuendo.
The investigation geared up in 1991 as mobsters began taking notice of a new and very lucrative numbers lottery game run out of Detroit-area party stores with some stores taking in as much as $150,000 a week in illegal betting.
Starting in October of 1991, and continuing to last month, the 57-page indictment details a number of visits to homes or businesses of gamblers and numbers operators by Nove Tocco and Paul Corrado.
Sometimes the meetings took place in restaurants or bars, usually with Nove Tocco and Paul Corrado going together or sometimes with others accompanying one or both of them.
Each time the men traveled around in Nove Tocco's Chrysler or Paul Corrado's Lincoln, the agents were listening and recording their conversations.
"They spent a lot of time in the car beating the bushes for new customers," one investigator said.
One of the first trips they made was to the Plymouth home of a bookie nicknamed BB, where investigators say the pair "scared the living s--- out of him."
A potential victim who did not cooperate was a southwest Detroit numbers operator nicknamed Jessie.
Jessie told Nove Tocco and Paul Corrado to get lost when they demanded money, according to the indictment and investigators.
Described as an older man and a nice guy, Jessie was later visited by FBI agents and warned to be careful and not to travel alone because he had been marked for death by the organization.
Another man targeted for death who also got a warning from the FBI was Harry (Taco) Bowman, at the time the president of the Detroit Outlaws motorcycle club and a former national president of the bikers.
The indictment pointed out that Nove Tocco and Paul Corrado drove by Bowman's Detroit home Oct. 23, 1992, scoping out the location.
FBI agents had to convince the wary Bowman to meet them so they could deliver the message that he was targeted for death.”
http://www.forensic-intelligen ce.org/mob/9witness24.htm

Terryh

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some good articles on the Detroit mob family in a 1930 Detroit Times article on microfilm at the Detroit Public Library.Included was an article which featured pics of 'Scarface' Joe Bommarrito, Pete Licavoli and another man waiting for a court appearance. It was related to a shooting on Jefferson, I believe in the general area where the Ren cen stands.

Ray1936 mentioned waling past Anthony Giacalone and getting a hard stare: An old Italian barber who cut my hair told me about the time he seen AG in a nice suit, and when the barber said "you like nice man" AG just glared at him. I suspect that Anthony Giacalone and his brother Vito are some of the last of the old school guys who came up hard and street smart unlike some of the others who were born into the mob. Not to say they arent as tough or street smart.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek,
You wrote a customer review for your own book on Amazon???

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I noticed that too. Give him a break though. He didn't try to hide that fact.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The former homes of Tony Giacalone and Sam Pirrone are presently on the market"

Great - I would be afraid to dig in my own backyard if I bought one fo those!

Luv313

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DREAM, that's interesting stuff. I'll dig into that some more. Doesn't some of the guys still live in those gated communities off Millar Ave in Clinton Twp?

Also, here's an interesting website, forum style:
www.mafia-international.com

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fnemecek,
You wrote a customer review for your own book on Amazon???

quote:

lol, I noticed that too. Give him a break though. He didn't try to hide that fact.

Yes, I posted a customer review - although it was mostly to point folks to where they could download sample chapters of the book for free. (My publisher didn't want to make the book seachable for Amazon.com users so this was the best I could do.)

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. Great posts Dream.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Doesn't some of the guys still live in those gated communities off Millar Ave in Clinton Twp?

Doesn't some of you guys now how to speak English?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You seem to be ignoring the terms of your "Witness Relocation Plan".

Scottb
Username: Scottb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dan,

my name is scott burnstein and i authored the book motor city mafia referenced above. i would love for u to contact me and relay to me the info u have on your friend's father, and possibly connect us to communicate. i have a follow-up to mc mafia in the works - much more indepth, traditional 300 page book, unlike mc mafia which is picture centered, focusing on last 50 years as opposed to 100 as in my prior book - and i would love to speak about your friend's dads possiblly adding his insight/knowledge to the upcoming project. call me or email at any time. 248-214-7291, hoosierscott@aol.com
best regards,
scott

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There IS some interesting history to be 'dug up' at one of the homes mentioned above. I've posted on it before.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You seem to be ignoring the terms of your "Witness Relocation Plan".

Can't help it. But hey, the forum's anonymous, right?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, Chuck Palahniuk lurks here! Or maybe even posts. That's very cool. :-)

Terryh

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Scope magazine 1967-1968 has many interesting articles on Detroit area organized crime.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7846
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still laughing at Spacemonkey's working on Fincher's excellent adaptation of Palahniuk's Fight Club...small world.

I got the chance to meet Fincher during a day's filming of the Jared Leto arm's-a-fire scene in the Panic Room...and one of my clients was a screenwriter who forced me to read Fight Club both to get Palahniuk's wild stream-of-consciousness AND how closely Fincher held to it.

Amazing, the spin off tangents from some of these threads, sometimes.

Cheers!

Scottb
Username: Scottb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

just wanted to remind u of my previous post regarding your friend's father who has stories relating to the detroit mafia. please contact me asap:

scott burnstein
248-214-7291
hoosierscott@aol.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.