Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit News Backing up Downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just thought that everyone should see this editorial by the News. It basically says that Downtown is still safe and the rebound should not be derailed by the murders at Chellis. Here is the link::

http://info.detnews.com/blogs/ bloggers.cfm?id=finley&blogid= 365

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown is certainly reasonably safe for a big city downtown in the US. The murders at Cheli's were very sad indeed, but disgruntled employees commit murders all over the place; hence (for instance) the phrase "going postal".

My prayers go out to Chris Chelios, the families of the managers who were killed, and the family of the very disturbed young man who did the killing.

Scott

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaaaaaaaaat? A decent and unbiased editorial by Nolan "Anti-Detroit" Finley?

*QQN out the window to see if the sky has turned purple....*

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the same thing I thought Stylin.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In stark contrast to the headline of the Free Press today...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whaaaaaaaaat? A decent and unbiased editorial by Nolan "Anti-Detroit" Finley?

*QQN out the window to see if the sky has turned purple....*

LMAO!!!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also agreed, detroit_stylin....

although, i will say it seems finley likes to play devils advocate a lot.

then again, maybe he's just getting softer as he gets older?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i will say it seems finley likes to play devils advocate a lot.

then again, maybe he's just getting softer as he gets older?

ValCamino--

Are you playing the devil's advocate?

Valkyrias

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...not really. i have not read too many of his articles, so i guess i am saying it's hard to tell where he is coming from based on what i have read. i know he is often labeled as an old curmudgeon with mostly negative views. yet there does seem to be more articles as of late from him that lean more towards the positive.

(Message edited by valkyrias on January 05, 2007)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good, because playing devil's advocate with ones own statement is a sign of some serious issues.

Or maybe it is just using a diligent thought process.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well played

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Nolan is just trying to cover his hero Chelios and that's more important to him than bashing Detroit. He will go back to his regularly scheduled shenanigans as soon as it doesn't involve a sports legend.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Finley is simply a fiscal conservative who dislikes the liberal Democratic political machine that is Detroit. The inefficiencies of this City and its schools should be troubling to all Detroiters. To equate his criticism of Detroit politics, schools and crime to being anti-Detroit is idiotic. He is as Pro-Detroit as any of us on this board.

No way is he equivalent to LBP who's agenda is allegedly pro-Oakland and frequently anti-Detroit.

You libs should open your eyes and see Mr. Finley is a major booster of this City of ours. He is a homegrown and educated guy who has done well for himself and his City.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it not Mr. Finley who blamed the demise of the auto industry on John Kerry? And did he oppose the obscene waste of money and lives in Iraq?
Sounds like more than a fiscal conservative to me...perhaps a better term would be a conservocrite dinosaur...

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pro-Iraq war = Anti-Detroit. Yeah, right.

BTW, just so you don't forget, H Clinton and J Kerry both supported this obscene waste of money and lives. Both are alleged supporters of Detroit. Or, is it they are just supporters of the many liberal votes residing in this city?

Don't worry, I'm not arguing the Iraq war was not a waste of money and lives. It was. Bush did not win the war and he has suffered political consequences. Bush, Clinton, Kerry, Finley and I were all wrong.

I know Finley and I are both supporters of this city of ours. The other three are politicians who will be supporters of Detroit when it is beneficial to their political standing.

To the grammar police, sorry about the who's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.