Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Melotti Bros? (Oakwood Blvd; W. of Rouge River) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall the Melotti Brothers Gas Station/Garage on Oakwood? If you were traveling on Fort, coming from downtown, it would have been about 1/4 or 1/2 mile west of the Rouge River Bridge, and right after the Fort/Oakwood Fork.

I was asked by a family member (who lives on the west coast, and is unable to do the foot work himself) to find an old advertisement for the place. His father worked there in the 50's, and thought very highly of the Melotti's. He is interested in having a "Melotti Bros" decal made for his 50-something Ford, and would like to see their logo for authenticity. Apparently there were several Melotti Brothers, and Joe Melotti took the managerial role at the gas station/garage for years. The Bridge Cafe was also Melotti owned.

If anyone can help me out, or point me in the right direction on where I might be able to get the information, I would appreciate it.

Does the Burton Historical Society have old phone books? Would this be a good place to start?

Thanks!

(Message edited by everydayislikesunday on January 04, 2007)

(Message edited by everydayislikesunday on January 04, 2007)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your distances don't make sense. The Bridge Cafe is just past the Fort/Oakwood fork which is just past the river. They have good burgers, BTW. The rear/side lot of the Bridge Cafe has Rouge River frontage, so it's almost on the river itself.

I remember seeing one or two old service stations very near there, but cannot visualize them. Check the aerial map.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The distances are a little off, I apologize for that. I am not free to go down there until the weekend, and I am just going by what my 80 year old aunt is telling me, which, as per usual, could be confusing. My aunt will be pleased to know the Bridge Cafe is still in business; maybe i will take her down for a burger. Thanks!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bridge Cafe is really a neighborhood bar and not much of a cafe, unless I'm confused. Some of its patrons can be a bit tempermental (or perhaps, just mental).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.