Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A housing development that is news to me.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought i was on top of housing redevelopment news, especially on the east side, but last time I was home I came across the new townhouses (dare I say, rowhouses?) in the general vicinity of Sheridan and St. Paul streets on the lower east side, near St. Charles Church.

I found these to be quite good looking, and complementary to the housing found in nearby mid-density West Village. I admire the rear-attached garages accessed off of allies.

How recently were these built, and, most importantly, does anyone know who the developer is and if there are future plans for abutting properties?

Again, I'll defer to local.live for showing a picture of this neighborhood: http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=42.355022~-83.0028 65&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir =0&alt=-1000&scene=5643380

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7330
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They go up in spurts. A row at a time, then a pause, then another row. I'd say they started 4 or 5 years ago.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That must mean they are selling, and someone has a plan for that neighborhood. thanks for the info.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive by these frequently and have been curious about the occupancy numbers. Anyone know? They look to be decent design and quality. That neighborhood could use a boost like this.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The town homes are called English Village and is developed by a guy named Mike Tyson. They've been around for a good four to five years like Itsjeff said and have been expanding slowly.
One of their next projects is to turn the old St. Charles' grade school into lofts.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awesome! Okay yeah I've seen signs i.e. on E. Lafayette pointing towards "English Village,"...it just took me awhile to actually come across the buildings.

(Message edited by mackinaw on January 05, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The projects website
http://www.englishvillagedetro it.com/

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the link.

It says 27 buildings are planned. So far there are 10. This will produce some nice results.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More neighborhoods should be rebuilt like that.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get a chance take a drive through north Corktown to see more infill houses that are in harmony with the existing homes. This is the redevelopment of Detroit. It is taking place one block hear and one block there all over the city. The intrinsic value of living in Detroit overcomes the fear and we are slowly renewed.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said. Corktown is a place I have always grazed over in the past, so I need to go take a good look at it soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.