Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Oakland county goes Wi Fi « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing new, I hear they plan on going all WiFi by 2008. What does this mean for me as resident? I hook up a wire less modem to my PC and I can get access to the internet free? No more depending on Comcast / Wow? Do I still need an ISP?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as everything gets up and running, free, public internet will be available throughout the county.

The free service will be 128 kbps up and down.

You can sign up for faster service through
MichTel if you want it.

Much like cell service, I'm sure there will be good and bad places to get wireless reception.

http://www.oakgov.com/wireless /faq/

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but the 128k free service will be ad supported and the subscriber services are not going to really be any cheaper than Cable or DSL. It is nice little pet project but nothing to get excited about.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure it will be ad supported? They are talking about a similar project here in Genesee county, and I've heard nothing about ads. Part of the agreement is that they provide a free service in exchange for being able to use municipal property (traffic signals, etc) for their antennas. Of course, i've heard nothing that precludes them from having ads, but nothing that has said they will have them either.

nothing on the link Ro provided says anything about ads either.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8120
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their business case is based upon ad revenue and an anticipated 10% of households signing up for their overpriced high speed service. This is a business model that is doomed for failure.

The 2008 date will not happen either. This project is a great concept and OC has come up with a great idea that is $0 investment on their part.

The question is after Mich Tel pulls out who will take over or maintain all of equipment.

Great concept that will be delayed in deploying and eventually be a failure for Mich Tel.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I live in Rochester Hills and I heard we have to wait a wile for service to come online.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been skeptical about this plan and its success. For starters the company that got the contract is pretty small and may not have the 'legs' it takes.

The management has to be immense. Since it will employ the relatively short range 802.11 wireless, I read that it will take something like 5000 nodes to cover the county.

Since most people already have established broad band service, I can't see many wanting to go through the aggravation of switching providers especially to non-mobile wireless with a no name provider. Instead I think most will consider it, as I will, as a handy free fallback should one have an outage on their regular connection.

All this smacks too much of a straining to appear to be edgy so politicians can crow, "Look how advanced and proactive we are." Unfortunately they are touting yesterday's technology. They would have been better off to go to support a Wimax solution, particularly mobile Wimax, where less than 20 nodes could blanket the county and super speeds provided.

My guess is that they thought that because 802.11 network cards are in just about every computer they should go with the old standard and discounted the fact that people would be willing to get a wimax card for true mobile broadband. Instead the big companies will snap up all the demand while OC is stuck with a dying standard.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

128kbps?! that's actually slower than sprint's old 2.5g cdma service, before they even rolled out power vision. i know for a fact - i used to stream 128kpbs radio to my old treo...

oc, you've peaked already.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I don't know, Lowell. Why can't the county upgrade in 4-5 years with the newer technology.

Personaly, I can't wait for it even at 128.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are supposed to be getting ours next month. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

128kbps is for the free service--accessible by all. MichTel will offer speedier service at a higher price, which is supposed to offset the cost of providing the free service.

San Francisco released their plan today (1-06-06) for providing free service throughout the city:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/ blogs/nwzchik/detail?blogid=32 &entry_id=12347
The free service is 300kbps.

I think the free service in Oakland County potentially has some benefits, if it works out. I am on the road roughly 3 months out of the year collecting field samples. The ability to upload patches or workarounds for those bad days will certainly help. Plus, it beats going back to the office or a Panera (with free WiFi service, but not enough power plugs!).

Another beneficiary--people on business from out of town and tourists. Hotel WiFi currently is a bit of a scam--some offer "free" Wifi--but only if you have a non-discounted rate. Or, the service is $10 per day, with overage charges for 'excess usage'. My dad is on the road around the country. He has told a lot of disappointing stories about hotel wireless access.

When my dad visited at Christmas, I told him about the free service Oakland County is offering. He tried to log in on his laptop--unfortunately he was leaching off of my neighbors wireless network. I asked him to stop. :]

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the free wi-fi downtown still working?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it is sheil, In C Mart, Hart Plaza, and Cobo I believe. I use it everyday...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can Wayne County have Wi Fi?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.