Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Made In Detroit Book - Anyone Read? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the memoir by Paul Clemens. Got 1 chapter left and I actually really liked this book. I think it has, at a minimum, helped me to see the picture a little differently. To better understand a different perspective that I either didn't think about or kinda poo-poo'd in the past.

Anyway, I would recommend it. It didn't seem to quite keep it up all the way to the end, but worthwhile I think. Curious if anyone else here has read it.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some previous discussion on the Forum about this book:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/64253.html

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/66703.html

There are a few additional mentions in other threads as well, which can be located using the Search function on the left nav bar.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the book last X-mas. I think it was mostly a tribute to his father. I remember feeling kind of disappointed/dissatisfied. I agree with Tweed's post on the first forum that Kathleen posted. He seemed too self absorbed.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got over half way through and never finished. Lost interest.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is a little self-obsessed, but I think the book does give a very real view of how Detroit became the way it is. We may not agree with it, but it tell what the mind-set was of a lot of people of the time.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book was mundane. I was very disappointed with it's lack of substance.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe some people on this forum could write a more interesting book about growing up in Detroit.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it since my family lived in that area and I am familiar with everything. Had it been on the west side, I would have stopped after the first page. I didnt complete it either.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5623
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I endured it to the very end. I was intrigued by his rather liberal viewpoints being tortured by the very real decline/demise/destruction of the neighborhood/city/church of his youth. In the end, while it isn't completely clear where he fled, it is obvious he no longer resides in the COD. I would guess Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids (I seem to recall he refers to the "western" side of the state)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will have to read it again. I thought in the end he lived on the East Side by Alter Road after moving back from college.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11084
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read it a few weeks back, I don't believe he says where he lives by the end of the book, aside from it being a bordering suburb to the city.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an Hour Detroit story about the author last year. If I remember correctly it mentioned that he now lives in one of the pointes.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer true crime Detroit books to books like this one. Read Masquerade by Lowell Cauffiel for an interesting Detroit story.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.