Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Police « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since everyone is so down on the police these days, I felt like changing the topic, even though I agree with most of these opinions. So here goes. Who do you think has the best police department in the suburbs? (since Detroit has been slammed so much, it won't be included.)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel. He has the respect of residents and I think the criminals fear him. He seems to get the job done. He has enough confidence in what he does that he overcame the bad press about his dad. He is physically fit (black belt I think) smart and effective. A model policeman. I think he has the respect of his officers too. I know a deputy that can only speak highly of him.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Hackel. He's conscientious. That counts high in my book.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe police seem to be pretty damn effective (fairness is probably for another discussion).

But who honestly has had experience with all the different police/sheriff departments around metro detroit? Besides Detroit and GP, I've only seen police cars for other cities.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hackel is a publicity-seeking camera-hound, who despite his "deer-in-the-headlights" appearance, always seems to get good press and reviews from everyone except my daughter. She was enrolled in a mid-day drama class at Macomb Community College back in 2001 along with the recently elected Sheriff and she found him to be kind of strange. I found it kind of strange that he didn't have more important things to be doing during the middle of the day than sitting in a class of mostly 19-20 year old girls.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything seems strange to 19-yo girls, especially their parents who support them at home and all.

Scs100

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll agree with the GP assessment. When I was there, the cops were down on everyone for everything. Couldn't even walk your dog of the leash (figuratively).

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have camera! Have Hackel. Big time camera hound!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked his dad more. Yeah, i know, he got in trouble but still he was better than the kid.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hackel is downright modest compared to Joe Arpaio. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 04, 2007)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester Hills / Rochester / Troy

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St Clair Shores police do an excellent job of guarding the 7-11 at 11 Mile and Little Mack, 24/7.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my limited experience, Michigan State Police seem professional. They seem to very skillfully walk that tightrope between "Am I dealing with a good citizen I should assist?" and "Am I dealing with a perp I should arrest?"

This I contrast against an Arizona State Police officer who merely joked around with me, a stranded motorist, while traffic zoomed past on a busy, dangerous freeway. I had to advise that officer that we both needed to leave the area ASAP.

Scs100

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about the state cops. I did 80 on 96 out by Grand Rapids and got passed by a cop going 90. Didnt even look at me. So with the exception of speed checks, they are good, I'll agree with that.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Police aren't the greatest. I come to this conclusion because they never saw the guy who left the gentleman's club on Michigan Ave, drove through Dbn like he was driving NASCAR (right past the police station, btw) and then killed a motorist at Michigan and Oakwood. No clue why the cops didn't see him.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think MSP and Macomb Co. are pretty tightly run ships.

However I had a run in with a MSP Trooper and he basically pulled up to my accident and ignored everything I told him and proceeded to tell me what I had done to cause it.

Which in the end was mind my own business and get broadsided by a drunk. Which I told him but he didn't believe.

Yes, I am still a little mad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.