Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Looking for some referrals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a place to buy carpet and have it installed, and also, I am looking for a residential mover. I'd love to use someone that someone I know (even if it is from DYes) has used in the past, so any referrals are greatly appreciated. I am looking for affordable but reliable. Thanks!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blondy; if you're looking for an el cheapo option, wait until the end of the auto show and buy the carpet square remnants. i knew many people back in college days who did this in their dorms and were very happy with the result for the cost. of course that doesn't include installation, but might be something to think about.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, who wants carpet in their house that a million people have walked over?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents just had their house re-carpetted by AR Kramer, http://www.arkramer.com. The results certainly look nice, and I beleive they were otherwise satisfied.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always heard that the Auto Show carpet has always been of the highest quality stuff too. I vaguely remember something about the store/ outlet that sells that stuff being out in Novi or Brighton. Granted it is USED carpeting and if that makes you squeamish then I'd look elsewhere for new.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7820
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, Blondy, NOT a bad idea even for that noise control we were talking about last year...you can get some of these auto show remnants in ODD cuts, then hang them from the ceiling in the dog rooms in loose folds like huge sine waves on edge...just stapling the high points to the ceiling.

PLUS, put more carpeting on the walls of the hallway leading to your office, or whatever you want as 'quiet' space...even on TOP of another four-inches deep captive insulation in metal studs with pegboard or chicken wire (to absorb the deeper woofs) on whatever wall has the strongest echo. Just try to visualize the sound waves, and take away every direct reflection point. Every wall where a mirror would reflect the dog rooms needs an absorber.

But, hanging this cheap carpet, that they will probably pay to have removed quickly, would be one of the best ways to calm the echoes down in the doggy rooms.

It doesn't matter that millions of steps crossed it, they vacuum it every night. Consider it 'pre-cured' and aired out well. Heh.

I've known many folks with this stuff...heck, McNab carpets out in Milford probably outfitted more dorm and cottage rooms than anyone with used auto show carpet. Heard about that over fifteen years ago...that's got to be the same one that you're thinking of, Smogger.

You're just not far out enough.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do hardwood flooring, but I have worked with many flooring companies in the past. I subcontract some decent jobs from Karpet n' More on 15 and grosbeck. They are ANAL professional yet Mark (the owner) always has some blow out carpet remnant deals if its a smaller room. With remnants, you may have to deal with a few seams, but a good professional carpet installer will hide these to the point of invisibility to the naked eye.

They are fairly resonable as well. For installation your looking about 1.00$ a sqft, and about 300$ or less for a decent remnant for a 12x12 room. You can save about 150$ if you pull the carpet out yourself. Start at a corner.. and have at it.. Be careful around the moldings.. A sharp carpenters knife will make shreads of the piece to roll up and haul out. Takes about an hour (for the person who doesnt do this everyday), but its definatly worth it. Makes the installers happier as well.

Padding is cheap... and usually they can save the tackboards.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you looking for remnants? Looking for commercial carpet or residential? What quantity?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you're so right... it is Milford! My bad. I knew it was to the northwest; I obviously didn't go far enough but the Smogboy compass® was at least aimed in the right direction.

I just vaguely remembered seeing newscasts of this place (and the people that woud show up to get remnants) immediately after the end of the Auto Show every year.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that some of the auto show remnants were from the walls of the Auto Show displays. I bought some at McNabb's and it was indistinguishable from new.

Fightdetroit
Username: Fightdetroit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have carpet in my house from the Auto show last year. I also got in installed by McNabb's. When it was installed I couldn't tell it had been walked on and I sold carpet at home depot.
For about 600 sq. feet it was $550 to have it installed and all new tack strips were put in.

I do regret my decision on the carpet choice though. It's very thin, which was ideal for my situation at the time. But I hate the feeling of tack strips in my heel. I tried hammering them down but it's impossible to find them all.

Auto show carpet is great, plus they are remnants and you'll get a great deal. Just make sure you avoid the thin ones. It feels like concrete.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.