Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Recycling, Detroit Yes, Community Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year. I have been mainly a lurker for a few years. I have met numerous members of this forum through business dealings and social gatherings. I have been amazed, angry, puzzled and excited by all the different news and opinions that are expressed in this forum.

NOW, HERE COMES THE CHALLENGE -

This forum has launched numerous bars and restaurants, spurred interest in properties and projects, and nudged public perception one way or the other through the spread of opinion and information.

WE NEED YOUR HELP. The City of Detroit has commissioned our group - Recycle Here! - to develop a new recycling vision for the City. We have closed the existing facility (Chene/ Ferry) and moved the location to 1331 Holden Street (Recy-clean). We have increased the number of recycling streams to capture more of the household waste stream and give the citizens of Detroit an alternative to incineration. we are working with youth groups and Non-Profits to educate the masses to change the 'waste' culture of Detroit.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS PROGRAM!

We are open for the first time this Saturday, January 6th, 2007 from 9 am to 3 pm. We will be open each Wednesday from 10 am to 2 pm and Each Saturday, thereafter, from 9 am to 3 pm.

The nice part of this story is that the "OLD CAR FACTORY" monster thread on this board featured, in the original post, a picture of our facility. We have 'recycled' the old Warren Motor Car factory into a functioning recycling center.

The small, incremental steps that must be taken to bring this City around, from education, to taxes, to street lights and recycling, must be supported in order to be effective.

I hope to see you all this Saturday.

Matthew Naimi
Recy-clean Services
Recycle Here!

(Message edited by the recycling people on January 02, 2007)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how does this program work with "midtown recycles?" are they one and the same? does midtown recycles bring its stuff to you? or do they have nothing in common?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This program is the maturation of RecycleMidtown. We started RecycleMidtown 15 months ago, nurtured and promoted the program, and took it to the City as a case study on how we can grow the recycling program for the City of Detroit.

RecycleMidtown birthed RecycleDetroit. RecycleDetroit is a Partner in Recycle Here!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope to see you all this Saturday.

you will, i've had a good couple month streak of missing the corktown and midtown collections. the stuff is piling up!

thanks for your efforts :-)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7305
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe used to talk about Matt Naimi. For a long time I thought she was saying, "Matt and Amy."

Anyway, hi, Matt. See you Saturday.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the naysayer here.

Per the address, it appears that the above recycling operation will be on the SE corner of Holden and Trumbull/Lincoln, and within a building, both of which sound fine.

But the building that the new recycling operation proposes to occupy is the home of RECYCLEAN, which I assume is a commercial business. RECYCLEAN (and again this is an assumption) also occupies the west side of Trumbull/Lincoln, north of Marquette, and this is the rub.

The latter property is, to my knowledge, zoned B-4. RECYCLEAN has been trashing it for over a year. I drove by it this morning, and I saw dumpster storage, piles of trash and building supplies, garbage trucks, etc. How is this type of operation allowed on a B-4 zoned lot? Why does RECYCLEAN feel they can trash a corner like this? And if you are wondering what I'm talking about: drive by the corner.

Personally, I would have nothing to do with RECYCLEAN or any operation they are associated with.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7309
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw dumpster storage, piles of trash and building supplies, garbage trucks, etc.

You saw all that a recycling business???

It's not like there's a home for sick nuns across the street, Mc. That's an industrial area. Be glad that they don't have to fire up the smoke stacks.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there an option for disposing of my Christmas tree hippie-style this Saturday?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7311
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean, smoking it?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch -

Before you slander my operation, please make sure that you have the correct facts. The lot that you are discussing is NOT my property. That is owned by Creative Waste. (blue Cans/ Blue Trucks). My Facility and Open Space is licensed by the DEQ and is inspected quarterly. Creative Waste and the former Commonwealth Industries, located on the west side of Trumbull/ Holden is what you are referring to. Stop by and introduce yourself on Saturday and I can give you a tour of the neighborhood.

The Recycling People

(Message edited by the recycling people on January 02, 2007)

Mccarch

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to understand clearly here, because if an apology is in order, I will be happy to make one.

Does RECYCLEAN have any operations west of Lincoln and North of Marquette? Doe RECYCLEAN have any tie with Creative Waste?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Christmas Tree Recycling this Saturday. The City will be announcing Tree disposal options soon.

The Recycling People

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Recy-clean is in direct competition with Creative Waste. Recy-clean is fully contained in the irregular parcel bounded by Trumbull(Lincoln), Holden, and the Railroad tracks. Also, the fenced in yard with the equipment visible on the east side of Trumbull (Lincoln) is owned by the gentlemen who owns the former tri-parts building (small white building on Marquette east of Trumbull, butting up to my building).

Believe me, I have been dealing with these misconceptions about my operation for a while.

the recycling people

Mccarch

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made an incorrect assumption about RECYCLEAN; I was wrong, and I wish to apologize. I hope everyone who reads my earlier post will also read this apology; but if Lowell wishes to delete my previous post, it would be fine with me.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries. It is probably better that it came out in this manner. Forum Recyclers that happen up Trumbull will now know that our name isn't recy-CLEAN for nothing!

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very interested in this project, as I currently take all of my recycling to Ann Arbor (where the recycling is the most comprehensive in SE MI).

What items do you accept? (plastic bags? clothing? books?) How should items be separated (some places do not require glass being separated from hard plastics). I'm also curious what you do with the items once they are dropped off at your facility. Do you also plan to expand to businesses by providing recycling dumpsters?

I live near to your facility and always wondered what you did beyond rent the trash dumpsters out.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you do something with my wife's old cans?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to the post by pollybergen -

The material that we recycle goes to the same 'clearinghouse' as recycle ann arbor. We consolidate all of our recyclable material into commodities. Then we ship these 'commodities' to processers. Paper, Cardboard, and HDPE plastic are shipped out through a 'clearinghouse' named metrofibres. We do ask that all paper be separated by type ( white office, mixed, newspaper, glossy). The glass (please separate by color [clear, brown, green]) is shipped to a facility located in Dearborn, Mi. All styrofoam is picked up by Dart Corporation. We take the Aseptic (soy milk containers, Orange Juice [ cardboard wrapping a foil/plastic insert]) to ann arbor's facility due to their relationship with that particular end market.)

The Nature of this program is that we are REQUIRING the recycler to make sure that these materials are CLEAN and separated.

As for Buddy and his amusing comments, I want to know why the Hippie stigma has been attached to such a commonsense philosophy as recycling? The word Hippie conjures up images of half-naked, drug-addled flower children to some. Why recycling is lumped in with that imagery has always frustrated me. Let me know your thoughts on the reasoning behind this phenomenon.

The Recycling People

Pollybergen

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok! I have a whole back room full of recycling that I was going to take to Ann Arbor tomorrow.

One last question: do you need volunteers or part-timers?
Recycling is so important to me that when I open the garbage can and find something that can be recycled,
I have been known to tell my mate that he is "hurting my heart".

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need volunteers. RecycleDetroit coordinates the volunteer workforce for Recycle Here! I will contact Sarah from RecycleDetroit and get her to post here with our volunteer information.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any recommendations for recycling ~1200 sq ft of carpet?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great. I see there is a Recyclean website at http://www.recy-clean.com/

Also, would it be okay for me to forward your announcement to our neighborhood email list?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM -Carpet is real tough. There is really nothing you can do with carpet, considering the amount of different materials that make up carpet.

Dougw - Please email any and all. Participation and growth of this program is essential for it's survival.

The Recycling People

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9114
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with this great idea. Less trash being burned or dropped at the landfill the better it is for all of us.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ii've gone to the web-site and I guess I need some clarification. Do you provide roll offs for clean up or do you have a recycling center where we can bring stuff like glass, paper and plastic?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recy-clean has been plugged on the Warrendale (Detroit) Blog. If y'all would like to make a presentation to our neighborhood association this coming spring, please let me know.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2007/01/detroits-new-recyclin g-program.html

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Planner -

Recy-clean Services is a private waste hauling company. We provide roll off services and business recycling services.

Recycle Here! is a group that was created to reinvent the city of detroit's municipal recycling program. The city solicited bids through the RFP process from recyclers and waste haulers to replace the existing (non-existing?) recycling program.

Recy-clean, RecycleDetroit, Detroit City Recycling, and Capital Waste teamed up to create the group Recycle Here! to manage and develop this program.

The initial post on this thread will tell you more information.

(and if you need a dumpster, we'll take care of that as well!!)

the recycling people

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no I don't need a dumpster.

any ideas what to do about the tires littering the city?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to plead ignorance about recycling right off the bat. But, following is my experience. Our neighborhood trash collector (Waste Management under contract w/ my municipality) at the municipality's insistance set up a program years ago that was very complex; for example, sort plastics by type, glass by type, newspapers separated from plastic and glass etc. They even wanted people to take labels off of cans and glass.) I told my wife "no way; I'll take out the trash but it's all going into one container." I thought it was ridiculous, and frankly still do. No one I know does it the way intended because the local newspaper after the program was initiated followed the trash haulers and found that all the separated stuff was dumped in w/ everything else at the dump anyway. It's clear that Waste Management could care less because the municipality's plan is disregarded by just about everybody and has been for years.

I am told that the energy used by the recycling process far surpasses the so-called energy benefits of resource recovery.That doesn't even include the time spent and money spent during the process by people in the business and home/business owners who are involved in the process. I'm told there's lots of studies to support that view. Am I wrong about this?

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asking you the consumer to sort your waste does seem like a waste of time. Why should anyone be asked to conserve natural resources by recycling, when there are so many trees out there that haven't been cut down?

Trust me. If you bring in clean materials, they will be recycled. It is a choice that you have to make. Your community may be different, but Detroit INCINERATES their waste. Paper, Plastic, Styrofoam (all recyclable) gets burned and released into the atmosphere. People will still consume those products, and they will be made from resources other than recyclable material. It is a choice. Do I recycle everything I can in my household? I try, but of course some of our recyclable waste still ends up in the trash. Do I at least try, when presented with a positive alternative? Yes.

And that's all we are asking.

The Recycling People

Hope to see you all on Saturday.

Pollybergen

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be forwarding this on to everyone I work with. Is there a formal press release anywhere online?

I also googled "Recycle Detroit" and found a dead thread cached from this board:
Discuss Detroit: Environmental groups push for Detroit recycling - 5:14pm
DETROIT — Efforts to establish a city recycling program in Detroit are underway. ... there is a group called recycle Detroit, which used to be recycle ...
atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5 /87529.html?1166094443

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No word on tires yet. There have been some proposals addressing the reuse of scrap tires, but at this time nothing is concrete.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T_R_P: I wish you had responded to my question as to net energy gain or loss resulting from recycling.

I'm not knocking recycling for those who actually believe that there's an economic (or arguable environmental) benefit; based on what I know there isn't. I could be wrong, of course.

However, as a child during the early '40,s I vividly recall that the war effort required that everything be recycled. We had to save grease from the fried foods, bundle all papers, strip the labels from tin cans, flatten and bundle the tin cans, save all rubber bands and string, ad infinitum. Many of those jobs were assigned to me and I hated doing them. Still do, I guess. But, everyone was highly motivated to recycle because the war effort required it. Those tin cans etc were used to fight the Nazi's, which made it a little more palatable.

As I understand it, landfills have become a big, profitable business. They generate large amounts of energy, primarily in the form of methane gas, which is very valuable. Other than in some large metropolitan areas, there seems to be plenty of landfill space available for current and forseeable use. (And there's always the Grand Canyon.)

I've seen studies that claim that the safest place for our trash is bundled, and placed on the ocean floor, where it's stable and very cool. Some scientist claim that landfilling trash and other waste is like storing that stuff in our living rooms; everything should be secured and stored on the ocean bottom. What do you think?

I just acquired some old but still producing oil and gas leases in Texas and there's a 600 acre landfill on part of my leases. I claim that the methane being generated belongs to me. The municipality is putting together an RFP for the gathering and sale of the gas, and I believe it's mine already pursuant to my leases. Also, I'm told that the municipality will take steps to prevent drilling in the landfill because the seal would be damaged. I've put them on notice that if they stop me they have to condemn and pay me for my rights. I'm going to be learning a lot more about the subject in the near future, believe me.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7319
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, Gannon.

Wait...

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greatest part of that story is that recycling wouldn't put a damper on your methane money machine down there in Texas. When petrucible waste (organic material) breaks down in a landfill, it produces methane (among other gasses). The plastic breaks down in about 1400 years. Styrofoam in about 2500 years. Glass never breaks down. Ever. No money from that material to line your styrofoam take out plate...

So bring your recycling to Recycle Here! every Wednesday and Saturday. Then bury the rest of the waste (food scraps, dirty diapers, etc..) in your yard, cap it - drill it - and watch the money roll in.

Hope to see you all on Saturday.

the recycling people.

ps. - the ocean floor theory has some merit. Just ask the people who are living above the hazardous waste injection well in wayne county what they think about having that stuff way down below their bathtubs....

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T_r_p: Don' want to beat a dead horse, but...

I know that non-organic waste does not create methane.

You seem very knowledgable about the topic. I'm not. That's why I (and possibly others) would be interested in the goals recycling hopes to accomplish.

Is recycling profitable? Is more energy created by recycling or vice versa?

Are we running out of plastic? Tin (or whatever cans are made out of?) Aluminum? Styrofoam? Are manufacturers (of aluminum products, for example) compelled by law to purchase recycled goods for further use?

I did not come up w/ the ocean floor storage theory; I sensed some sarcasm there. I'm told that knowledgable scientists did.

The Romulous toxic waste facility ALLEGED failure surprises me. There's no scientific reason why it should not have worked properly if it was constructed properly. I have been for 17 years producing about 20,000 bbls (840,000 gallons) every day of very toxic brine along with oil and gas. It's separated from the oil and injected back into the ground through 22 injection wells to a depth of 4000 feet. It is pushed under high pressure (900 psi) horizontally through the oil bearing rock formation to producing oil wells. That Brine is recycled continuously, 24/7/365, w/o incident, and 100's of oil producers have been doing that since the early '50's. It's called "waterflooding" which is a form of secondary recovery. The epitome of recycling.

Finally, are we running out of land upon which landfills can be constructed. I've heard we are not, except in some very densly populated areas. (They can always send it here as Toronto does.) I'd like your views on this, and why you are involved in the business.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can.

1)Is recycling profitable? Depends on numerous factors.

Collection system, Commodity pricing, Volume. Labor-intensive sorting saps potential profit points from material, therefore separation at the point of collection is key to most programs. Co-mingling waste (single stream system) requires either expensive (millions) equipment or many man hours. Commodity pricing of material fluctuates greatly, turning profitable material into non-profitable material, and back, from month to month. Total volume of commodities allows more bargaining manueverabliity as it relates to transportation and access to markets.

2)Is more energy created by recycling or vice versa? Define 'energy.'

The manufacturing process for corrugated (cardboard) uses the same method to transform raw material or recycled material into corrugated. Is this the 'energy' that you are referring to?

3) Are we running out of plastic? Tin (or whatever cans are made out of?) Aluminum? Styrofoam? Are manufacturers (of aluminum products, for example) compelled by law to purchase recycled goods for further use?

Plastic is petroleum based - enough said on that. Metal is 100% recyclable. Certain metals are abundant, but even so their existence is finite. we will run out of them someday. Other metals are not abundant. Copper is a perfect example. As certain nations emerge into the first world (India / China) the need for copper in just wiring applications has caused the market value of this metal (becoming more precious by the minute) has rocketed. Could be why so much of it is being stolen and sold to scrap yards, where it is melted down and used to create more wire, etc... Styrofoam is just plain bad for the environment. As far as compelled by law, the market forces have spoken for most metals. it is cheaper to use recycled metal to create new metal applications as it is to harvest new metals from the earth, prepare and process these raw materials and THEN manufacture the new product. Certain laws have been passed to create economic incentives for the use of recyclable material. We are actually working on a bill right now that will attempt to create that very scenario.

I was being sarcastic about the ocean floor theory. I don't want to get off on too much of a tangent here, but once that material is resting on the ocean floor, it is probably better off then being buried in a landfill. That is not my issue with the process. it is the TRANSPORTATION of that waste to the ocean floor. Ships full of waste on the open sea. Sinking the waste. All of these steps creates the potential for a major disaster. Would you allow the trucking of hazardous material through your neighborhood if you had a choice? If i could avoid the potential for a disaster, I would.

Waterflooding of oil wells is a great example of recycling. taking the 'waste' portion of the product and putting back into the place it came is perfect. What about the gallons of oil removed from the liquid (brine) how is that replaced?

Canadian waste is a thread in itself. Ontario has far more land available for landfilling than southeastern michigan. The provincial government passed a moratorium on the creation of new landfills and the expansion of existing landfills. THAT is why Toronto/Ontario sends their waste here. They don't want landfills in their open spaces, their farmlands, or their forests.

Got to go. More to come.

See you all on Saturday.

The Recycling People

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aluminum: It takes a lot of energy to manufacture aluminum and aluminum is 100% recyclable and in my opinion the best material to recycle due to the energy savings.

Plastic: I love to recycle it because it helps reduce the need to import oil. Our dependance on oil is a huge national security risk.

Metal: Recycle any form of metal you can get your hands on.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they take Copper? :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7826
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good posts, T_R_P, I've been eager to see more from you, after meeting you at Cafe's...on that hectic last day. Almost exactly one year ago I learned at a friend's wedding that another casual acquaintance actually works for you.

You've been BUSY this year!!

To 3rdworldcity and others stuck in the old paradigm, we simply cannot afford to look at the world through the filter of the ANCIENT energy equation. It is proven invalid because it lacks metrics (or measurements and calculations) for stuff we should be TRULY valuing, like everything that SUSTAINS life on this planet rather than just that which just makes humans more comfortable. Comfortable usually slips into fat, stupid, and lazy...which is contrary to the survival of the specie...but I digress.

Looking at the world from the perspective of the Peak Oil theory (which may or may NOT be true, but provides an interesting vantage point that reveals a HUGE assumption in 20th century thought)...one may conclude that since the true price of oil and oil derivatives have been artificially low for the past 100 years then any and all comparisons to their 'energy costs' be discarded...and if NOT discarded, at least a REAL potential future oil cost be used, not the historical one.

There has been ONE new oil field brought on-line since the seventies...oddly the source of at least one major world conflict, but we won't go there...but with the world oil desire growing exponentially without MORE discovery and production, conflict will be a constant.

Again, either way, old oil energy cost equations don't fit the entirety of reality today.

No matter, IF you value ecology beyond mere artistic value...which even seems doubtful given your wanton desire to turn the Grand Canyon into a landfill!...then we need to revisit those energy equations from a 21st century perspective, may be give LIFE and that which sustains it a little credit.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read this book by Greg Palast:
"Armed Madhouse: Who's Afraid of Osama Wolf?, China Floats, Bush Sinks, The Scheme to Steal '08,No Child's Behind Left, and Other Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Class War."

A fantastic read that WILL change your perspective of the peak oil theory. One of the biggest 'marketing' schemes of all time.

High viscosity oil sand fields and Tar Oil fields (canada and venezuela) will form the new world order when it comes to oil.

Read the book.

The Recycling People

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T_r_p: Thanks for your response. It was very informative. Your response re: the economics of recycling sheds light on that aspect; very reasonable explanation.

Re: "...how is the oil replaced? It's not; the bbls of oil we produce, once refined and used, are gone forever. However, even though our 8000 acres of leases were drilled and developed starting in the '20's, the original operators only produced a fraction of the oil in place. Production technology has improved. We drill wells between 4 old oil wells plugged in the '40s and '50s and get very good wells today. Oil migrates from its source (where it was formed) until it is trapped, discovered, and produced. That migration process is ongoing and the void left after the production of the "primary" oil is filled with newly migrated oil. A very slow process.

Gannon: your statement that only ONE new oil field has been discovered since the '70s is incorrect. Hundreds of new fields are being discover every year. There has been no discovery in the U.S. of a Prudhoe Bay size field lately, but that's because of government restrictions on drilling in places where geologists know that large fields exist. However, there are major (10 billion bbl) fields (estimated at this point because they are not fully developed yet) being discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. Just south of my area in N. TX is the mamouth Barnett Shale gas field; it extends for 150 miles down through Ft. Worth and out to the west. Several thousand wells (8000 ft deep) and several trillion cu ft. of gas reserves so far. A similar field is being developed in Arkansas. Drive through Ft. Worth; there are drilling rigs everywhere, school yards, shopping center parking lots, in the medians between the expressways interchanges etc. Quite a sight.

T_r_p: Ah, Peak Oil. Hubbert was correct, you know. It's just a question of when the peak occurs worldwide; it happened as he predicted in the U.S. years ago. Reasonable people differ on the w/wide peak. However, new discoveries are barely keeping the estimated worldwide reserves at their current levels (assuming anyone knows what those reserve numbers are, accuratly, which no one does.)

Don't count on a "new world order" resulting from development of Venezuelan heavy oil and Canadian non-conventional tar sand production. The U.S. has probably the largest by far reserves of "oil" in the world. It's in the form of kerogen, a waxy substance found in oil shale which is abundant in several western states, and the conservative estimates range up to one TRILLION bbls of recoverable oil. Of course this country will become a 3rd world nation (we're well on the way) before the environmentalists and the gov't will permit that resource to be developed. (The shale must be strip mined (for the most part although there are other methods), crushed, heat treated etc, just as the Canadian oil sands are produced.

I presume you're read "Hubbert's Peak" by Deffeyes. Try "Beyond Oil: The View From Hubbert's Peak" by Deffeyes (Hill & Wang - Farrar Strause, 2005

I'll try to find the book you mentioned above.

And, I can tell you that the oil production business is a very good one to be in these days, primarily because our government's policies will keep the price of oil high for many years. Yeah Bush and the environmentalists.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to ignore the previous post, but don't forget about recycling tomorrow (today).

Recycle Here!

(1331 Holden)

Please Park, Sign in, and Separate.

Ask Questions, Don't Assume.

Let's Talk Trash.

The Recycling People

Tamber
Username: Tamber

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there today Matt! Congratulations! You have worked very hard to make this happen. You have also been very patient with your posts on this forum. See you in about an hour!

-Cafe

Even I know how to get around a blocked account.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it was/is a success.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tamber Rocks! Even if she's a trouble maker.

I am VERY happy to hear about this recycling project, because I have gotten very used to recycling EVERYTHING, here in Germany and I want to continue recycling when I return to Detroit, soon. Thank you and keep up the good work. I will be more than happy to bring you my trash!

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We want to thank you all for the GREAT turnout on Saturday. The collection was a complete success. The system worked with nary a problem. Attendance was VERY STRONG. Please keep the continued support of this program. We will listen to suggestions to improve this program - please just tell us your ideas.

the recycling people

ps.Duo -We want your clean, organized recycling - not your trash. But anytime spent in Germany is like time spent at Recycling State University.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who did not see this on the news, check out Recycle Here on Fox 2!!
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/News/Detail?contentI d=1978437&version=2&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2. 1

Pollybergen

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience on Saturday was great! Just as good as my experiences in Ann Arbor (where I think recycling is top-notch and made VERY easy). My non-recyling-loving partner was even made happy with your inclusion of refreshments. :-)

I just forwarded all this info on to many of my co-workers, with many positive responses in return.

Great job Recycle here!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4525
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still thinking about the couple of weeks in Naples, FL

There is a very active plan of recycling there.

Cleaning out my sister's old warehouse entailed several trips to the city facility to dump the cardboard from her store, usually finding 3 of the 4 dumpsters full already.

While glad The_recycling_people has found a niche to earn a living, it's sad most of the trash goes to the incinerator just because it's cheaper..... OK, maybe not in the long run>

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams -

Did Jonas Salk 'create a niche to make a nice living' with the polio vaccine ?

If so, then the comparison is valid.

This project was an endeavour to recycle material rather than incinerate it. It was never about the money.

The Recycling People

(Message edited by the recycling people on January 09, 2007)

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Detroiters -

Recycle Here! is open every Wednesday from 10am - 2pm.

Hope to see you all there!

The recycling People

Jams

Post Number: 4531
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I strongly support your efforts.

I just wish it was the norm rather than the exception.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 783
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T-R-P,

I have learned all my trash is recyclable (clean, of course). It is crazy how the Germans recycle. It is taken to a completely new level! Really, it drives my non-recycling-partner crazy, but even HE is getting used to folding the cardboard or rinsing the milk jug out, etc... Even if I can reduce my trash by 1/3, I feel better and the 30 minutes I have to spend on an off day to take the recycling somewhere is well worth it. Thank you and keep up your success!

Jams

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've built up the level of the mostly clay soil in my yard in several areas by the addition of the composted materials from my kitchen.

If nothing else. coffee grounds make a great fertilizer. My raspberry bushes produce great quantities of berries each year since I just toss my used grounds into the beds.

(Message edited by JamS on January 09, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams:

quote:

I've built up the level of my the mostly clay soil in my yard

Hey, that's exactly what I need to do around the roots of a maple in the front yard. Any tips? Can you just let it compost on the spot? I mean, dump the garbage around the roots and let nature take its course?

Jams

Post Number: 4535
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you can dig a trench and mix the soil with the refuse, it really is best to install or build a composter. I have a three bin, fresh stuff, partially decomposed, and the final step the "black gold".

Amazing to add that stuff to a clay soil and create a rich humus that plantings love and grow happily in. Those potato peelings and banana peels are returned to the earth rather than being burned in the toxic spewing incinerator.

Quite a few places on the net will give you designs to build compost bins.

Side note, with this mild winter, my daffodils and narcissisus are already sending up shoots two or three inches high. Time to start planning this year's garden.

Jams

Post Number: 4536
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't put a leaf into a plastic bag in over 15 years and added three inches of rich soil that cost me nothing but time and labour.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to have a 3-stage composter back in the 60s but it's since been landscaped out of existence. I only need to build up the soil around that one tree to protect the roots from the lawnmowers. There's also a lot of large mushrooms around there. We like them. The neighbor mounted one on his truck's antenna last year as a joke.

Thanks. I'll search for more info.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This works really well. We may even have some for sale in the future at Recycle Here!

www.earthmachine.com

the recycling people

Hope to see you all tomorrow.

Jams

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked into those, good design for those wanting to start composting without a lot of hassle.

I made mine with pallet wood, great for a year or two, than they start breaking down but then I just add them to the compost pile and replace the slates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.