Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 97.1 Shakeup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think anyone has mentioned yet that 97.1 FREE FM (WKRK) had a shakeup yesterday, dumping both "Parker & The Man" and Michelle McKormick from "Motor City Middays". I would say from their website it looks like MCM is carrying on with Jay Towers, as he's still part of the site. An interesting aside, McKormick's ex-co host Gregg Henson is making a big issue of this from his new radio home in Philly. Still angry at CBS for his firing I guess.

Sounds like the Wings and Tigers broadcasts will repeat on 97.1 because of WXYT's lousy signal, and that on non-game nights they'll resurrect Tom Leykis.

Personally I'm just glad D&D survived.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, a good signal for hockey. It goes too quickly for a bad signal.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, scs100, what happened with the wierd thread we were on last night?
It seems to be frozen. I am really inept at computer stuff, so I'm wondering if it was halted or something. I'll wait to hear from you.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what we need. Another sports station.

MCM was the best thing 97.1 had going for it during the Henson days. It was the perfect blend of mindless humor and current events for the midday at work. Going to local bars to listen to their band, the MCM5, was always a treat.

D & D better watch out, because I strongly suspect they're next.

They've ruined 101.9, now 97.1. I have XM (on free trial with my new GM vehicle), but I don't think it's all that great. Lousy audio quality and lame hosts. I want my local radio back to what it was a couple years ago!

Scs100

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its working. The latest posts though, dont show much. Nothing has changed.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fun stuff was deleted, Kathinozarks.

Scs100

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You missed the fun stuff that Kathin and I put on. Got deleted but it was good.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we were getting along great and all of a sudden someone decided that we couldn't talk to each other anymore! I've been separated from friends in school and at work before for talking too much, so I guess it's par for the course!

Thanks for the response and I will go now because I don't know anything about the radio station.

Scs100

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been a fairly lively discussion about Michele on the Michigan Radio/TV Buzzboard http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/ index.php on the Metro Detroit discussion area. The general feeling there is something of "no loss". Is she really that bad?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4170
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story was actually about two days prior on the DetroitYes.com sports thread section. Interesting turn of events nevertheless.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, she was that bad.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

local radio? it doesnt exist anymore since it can be changes instantly by lack of ratings or any other reason as just happened. I agree I liked MCM myself but the station has gotten terrible over the years. I got Sirius and I love it I never listen to "local" radio since then.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Clear channel owning everything (or other macro-corporate broadcasting entity) is there such a thing as "local radio" anymore?
D&D came as a team from another market, not much cred for the D, ditto Michelle (good riddance). At least Drew Lane of Drew and Mike has put down roots in the 16 years he's been here and is generally fast to pick up on that which is genuinely Detroit.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was Michelle so bad? I've never heard her.

I'd love an example of what you thought sucked about her ability.

Thanks,

Small Town DJ

Hochi
Username: Hochi

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The radio business across the nation is nothing but transplants. Most people in radio have to move around from market to market and it is very rare that someone will be able to find a long term job like Drew Lane. He's lucky.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk radio in Detroit has gotten very stale so any shakeup is a good thing in my opinion

I think Drew Lane and a few others are at the top of talk radio as far as talent goes and then everyone else ranges anywhere from terrible to to slightly above average. I think Mike Stone is very good, but I can't stand his partner and his ridiculous shtick. I'd put the group of people who were fired in the latter category and they can easily be replaced. I can't imagine that many people are going to be all that upset that they won't be able to listen to PATM, Regner (Unless you're a hockey nut), and McKormick.

The problem with Regner is that during hockey season he couldn't talk about any other sport with any credibility. It was kind of funny listening to him BS his way through Pistons discussions when it's pretty clear that he's not that interested in basketball and rarely watched the games.

(Message edited by rjk on December 31, 2006)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clear up any possible confusion, WKRK-FM is owned by CBS Radio......

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since David Newman and Mark Scott left the airwaves and jock radio took over Detroit radio hasn't been the same.

Excelsior!

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Kramer and Twitch!!!

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. Kramer and Twitch were horrible. D&D suck too. They mention something of note in the news and open the phones. They both are void of personality and their voices sound identical. ...but that's just my opinion.

I'm going to miss Parker and the Man though. During the awful Dre Bly show he actually showed some character for a change and wished them the best. Tony Ortiz was a bit taken back but rolled with it.

Michelle was okay but I agree she's kind of a hack. I found her likable because I really enjoyed the Henson shows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.