Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Former MI Rep Bonior to lead Edwards campaign « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the Freep:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061228/NEW S99/61228017

quote:

By STEVE NEAVLING

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

David Bonior, a Macomb County Democrat who formerly represented Michigan in Congress and a leading advocate for the middle class and organized labor, will head the 2008 presidential campaign of John Edwards.

Edwards, a former U.S. senator from North Carolina who was John Kerry’s running mate in the 2004 presidential election, officially launched his campaign Thursday at a news conference in New Orleans where he called for a gradual withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and a crackdown on poverty and global warming.

Bonior joined Edwards in the flood-stricken city as he stressed the importance of closing the gap between the rich and the poor.

Bonior, 61, served as a Democratic representative from Mt. Clemens from 1977 to 2002. He has close ties to labor unions and is known for his aggressive grassroots campaigns.

Personally, I am buying into the Edwards message. I think that his economic populism should resonate here in the Metro D. I think that while the MSM focuses on the Obama/Hilary debate, JRE will be quietly amassing a strong campaign, with a real platform to back it up, and having Bonior in charge will throw a lot of early union support their way.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I see Edwards going anywhere even with solid support from those like Bonior.

He didn't add much to Kerry's campaign and was no match for Cheney in their debate.

I see the two heavyweights - Clinton and Obama - essentially sucking all of the oxygen out of the Democratic race.

'08 won't look like '04 which had a room full of candidates none of whom was strong by historical standards.

Gov. Richardson (N.M.) is my choice for VP.

Obama would need someone who has a strong background in foreign policy, energy, management of government, etc.

Wouldn't Obama and Richardson be a unique ticket. A black. A Hispanic. A governor from the West.

That would set pundits and pollsters realing trying to figure out how the once red states like Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, etc. might break.

Richardson also has the resume to be a darkhorse candidate for president in his own right.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Bonior running his campaign...I see his race for President being very short.

Especially with him getting his backside handed to him by Granholm during his last campaign.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5547
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonoir & Edwards.

These 2 deserve each other.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please just go away. Both of them.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on Karl's pre-election predictions earlier this year, this could be a winning combination.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see this being a very short campaign run.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.) Don't repeal the Estate Tax
2.) Roll back Bush tax cuts for top 1%
3.) Stop watching Halliburton wipe their arses with Benjamins in Iraq

There's some money for housing vouchers. He's still got my vote until someone can explain Hillary's actual platform.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's part of the reason why he'll lose big time.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edwards will win the Democratic nomination in 2008. You can make book on it.

The GOP nomination is still a toss-up but Mitt Romney looks to be the early favorite, regardless of his underwear selection. The GOP nominee won't come from Washington (Congress or the Executive) and the party just doesn't have many stars out there right now. John McCain keeps talking about increasing troop levels in Iraq. That might be smart policy but bad politics. He might as hint that he doesn't like Social Security or promise a negative income tax that provides everyone with $1000. Then again we could use Messrs. Goldwater and McGovern right about now.

Edwards-(someone from Ohio other than Kucinich)
Romney-Graham

Mcp001

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Hillary pulling some strings behind the scenes to make Mr. Edwards life interesting.

As for Mitt, after he rammed mandatory health insurance down the throats of Massachusetts residents, I highly doubt that he'll be the darling of the '08 GOP Convention.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im cynical. Americans, unlike citizens of myriad free societies in the world choose to be socially rigid and conservative. If Democrats place a woman or minority in the race they will be thouroughly trounced. I consider myself on a par with the average Canadian or West European in regards to social issues but am not hypersenstive or politically correct when it comes to considering oppossing viewpoints or calling 'it' like I perceive 'it'.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Michigan voters overwhelmingly approved a ban on gay marriage an aquaintence of mine said she thought we were better than that. Like many other Americans she probably formed her perception of a 'free' tolerant America from watching Liberal Hollywood television shows which routinely portray openly gay Americans and interracial couples as being widely loved and accepted.The next President will be a moderate WASP white male.

Bte_in_va
Username: Bte_in_va

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Edwards, what a scam artist.

Being from NC, I can say that. He is known there as a pretty boy ambulance chaser. By day he's a champion of the poor. By night, he returns to his 15,000 sq foot Chatham County NC home. Know why he ran for Pres? Because he knew his home state wouldnt re-elect him to the Senate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.