Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Hate on Youtube.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XaoSTZ40HtY

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11055
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STOP HATIN'! Detroit love on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Qr9omtAO6eE

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Damn you found something positive?

lol

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So someone making up a cheesy video with unflattering pics of the city is hate? It's not like this isn't reality. Youtube has both videos that make the city look good and bad so it's really not worth getting twisted about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =da8oGSCoeZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Jw_6zdK5FdY

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3468
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not getting twisted beleive me. I have lived here for all of my 34 years (24 as resident, 10 as home address while on active duty), so I have seen and heard it all...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a closer look at the pics of Brush Park. They're out of date.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That whole video is at least ten years old if not older...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin.... fashionably served huh. Respect.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever notice most videos on you tube are from in a car or are around downtown.....A real video would be walking on the streets or exploring more of the city outside of downtown or even talking to residents of Detroit. I think most of these videos are made by people from the suburbs who drive through and want to be seen as "artists" or cool because they actually go to "Scary" Detroit. One of these days I will make a real and good video about Detroit and post it on you tube

Supersport

Post Number: 11056
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real Detroit...like this? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jo1FIViXJuI

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You beat me to posting that Sport.

Supersport

Post Number: 11057
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched it a few times first. Seriously though, I'm glad the police don't bust people for drinking and "smokin'" on Belle Isle. The island is pretty much trouble free, nobody is hurtin' anybody, so let people have their fun.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I think this movie is brilliant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vE21mRGXpdY

I think it's a fascinating look at the city of Detroit... the good and the bad, the old and the new. Good music, too.

Scs100

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite Sport, have you been to the eastern side of the island lately? I was out there with my dog and it seemed like someone took a monster truck for a spin out there...

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching a video on foot would be boring, unless you have plenty of time to devote to watching it. A short "drive by" gives a greater glimpse of architecture around the city in a smaller amount of time.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A short "drive by" gives a greater glimpse of architecture around the city in a smaller amount of time.

I love Detroit's architecture, but it's not all about that. A video with some real PEOPLE in it, instead of a slideshow of some photos of blight, would tell us a lot more about the city. Parts of this video are uniquely Detroit, but for the most part the images could have been taken in East St. Louis or Camden. Show us who LIVES here, not just the discarded urban environment.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

supersport that video is funny

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,
Do it! Make the video. I agree about people wanting to act tough by going into the scary city. On another thread there was a discussion about people wearing the t-shirts that say stuff about Detroit like, "Detroit, where the weak are killed ..." and so forth. These people need to ask themselves how they would feel if one of their loved ones was murdered in the city and then they saw some asshole wearing a shirt like that.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary,
Video's on foot have been done, I remember one with the 3 kids roaming all around the City, And then in the Forum people were talking about how Bad everything looked, the discussion led to the question that if they (the 3 kids) really loved Detroit, then why did they make a Vid like that?

Guess what? Everybody can't be Happy about everything at the same pace !

Detroit is only "Scary" if you dont know any better. I have a Brother inlaw that never had a second thought about Visiting me in Detroit when I lived there, ( he lived in Canada) But, After I moved to Tenn. He was worried about his 1st visit due to the movie "Deliverance". Until you go someplace, all you can really do is Wonder what it must be like.

The T-shirt's are for Fun and are the only thing we can get to show our Connection to our beloved Detroit! unless you rather we drive up and take some street signs or Man Hole covers?
Don't try to connect T-shirts to Real Murders so tightly
I have had a few friends Die due to Guns,and one old friend in Prison for life (for Murder), yet I have not ever looked at my firearms or T-shirts and thought I need to get rid of them, I just dont use them for anything Illegal!

Also seen many Wrecks because of DUI, Dont mean I'm going to stop Smiling when I see the t-shirt that says "Beer,Helping White Guys Dance for Years"

Way down here in the South, I enjoy every Video I can find with Detroit in it!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
Maybe I'm being sensitive about the t-shirts but I've only seen them for sale in suburban malls and I think they reinforce the perception of Detroit being a scary place to people who indeed don't know any better.
I would like to think that I know better and there are areas in Detroit that are scary looking. Another poster on a different thread told me that just because a place looks scary doesn't mean it's dangerous. That might be true but you still have to be careful.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary,
I Agree "that just because a place looks scary doesn't mean it's dangerous."
But I still wouldn't drop my guard, Even the Safe looking places (anywhere in the world) we still need to be careful !

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blade said Wutup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2PkYtEavwbU

Blade Icewood - "Boy Would U"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =C6WE7eI60h8

Eastside Chedda Boyz - "I'm a Chedda Boy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =W7UrRvbGD34

Gratiot Boyz - "Step Ya Game Up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8btGpSHmO6I

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is only "Scary" if you dont know any better.
______________________________ ___________________

Most suburban folks hate the fact that Detroit is a preidominantly black city, and as such, they are ambasidor's of hate.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,

That is a very bold statement to make. I wonder where you got your information.

If you think that suburbanites are "ambassadors of hate", I would call you a bigot. Bigoted against millions of suburbanites. Don't forget, many suburbanites are non-white.

No bigotry is acceptable, and is found in all humans, against one form of human or another.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5565
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a suburbanite, I don't harbor any hate for Detroit or the fact that it is predominantly black.

However, sometimes I sense a self-loathing amongst certain Detroiters. The city is 85% black, and has been administered/run by blacks for at least 35 years. After all those years, why are videos still made showing burned out houses, buses, cars and other trash? From some perspectives (see numerous videos) Detroit is indistinguishable from Beirut, Fallujah, or a box of used kitty litter. And unfortunately, most folks the world over will never view Detroit and may only know this once-grand city by what's available on YouTube.

Just my $.02 -

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 549
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Most suburban folks hate the fact that Detroit is a preidominantly black city, and as such, they are ambasidor's of hate."

I think many suburbanites felt pushed out of their old neighborhoods by minorities. They should be mad about what has happened to their old neighborhoods. Run down houses, broken roads, no respect for the city, and high crime. Think of it from their perspective and sometimes my perspective. White people lived in a neighborhood, homes kept up, people worked, roads were clean, lawns mowed and cared for, very little if any crime. When black people moved into the old neighborhood, crime went up, poverty, homes run down, loss of respect for the neighborhood. That's not true of all or even most black residents of Detroit, but we all see the difference between Detroit of 1950 and of today. The only redevlopment occuring in the city is because whites feel like doing something not because blacks all of the sudden decided to change the city for the better.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its true that the Neg. You Tube Vids outnumber the Pos. ones, Here is a vid from the Westside that I've liked for awhile now.

The message is a little Different from the ones just above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sTTTtIpXjNY

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee I so hope that you are ready for the shit storm that is about to bury you, becuase that was the most ignorant post I have ever seen you make. And I normally hold yours in high regard. You have seriously let you lack of knowledge of affairs of the city (and of African American life). That post just smacks of "Blacks moved into White neighborhoods this the property values plummeted".

As far as the condition of these homes? Try asking the white owner who rented them out as section 8, who also just happens to live out on bloomfield or some other posh area that doesnt have to deal with problems of the city out there.

And then try this to on for size. Blacks didnt push ANYONE out. They moved out on their own, becuase they didnt want to live around nor amongst blacks. And when it comes to services (road repairs, police, education etc.) keep this in mind-- when a city that was built for two million and covers 140 sq miles suddenly loses over half it population (and tax base) in a short amount of time you'd best believe that certain 'luxuries' in a city are gonna ge impacted.

And then for you to even imply that nothing has happened until white suburbanites were the reason why things have started to get done in the city is a virtual slap in the face to EVERY person of color who stayed here or came back here doing whatever they could to improve the quality of life in the neighborhoods where you so eloquently said "they dropped the property values". It makes it seems like us po colored folks just sat here and waited fo massa to get something started.

I am one those people whose contributions you dismissed with that assinine statement. I dont know if you were trying to make a point but you need to clear that the hell up quick for real because I find that highly offensive. This whole notion that "The Blacks fucked up the city and chased the whites away, and it will be up to the suburban whites to come back and save the city" ish smacks of the superiority mentality that (some) white folks display in one way or another but swear dont exist. That whole post was skewed with so many misconceptions, I cant even begin to identify all of them.

quote:

think many suburbanites felt pushed out of their old neighborhoods by minorities. They should be mad about what has happened to their old neighborhoods. Run down houses, broken roads, no respect for the city, and high crime. (
should they be bad at the renters or mad at the owners who may live next door to them in [insert wealthy suburb here] somewhere who dont feel the need to fix their properties in the city which really leads to drops in property value?) Think of it from their perspective and sometimes my perspective.
(but of course the Blacks in the city that live the reality dont deserve a perspective)

White people lived in a neighborhood, homes kept up, people worked, roads were clean, lawns mowed and cared for, very little if any crime.
(really and you know this how cause white people have told u? Maybe it could have been due to more opportunities among whites in better communities, Oh plus Blacks dont, live, work or mow their lawns either. I mean you seen one Black neighborhood you seen them all)

When black people moved into the old neighborhood, crime went up, poverty, homes run down, loss of respect for the neighborhood. That's not true of all or even most black residents of Detroit, but we all see the difference between Detroit of 1950 and of today. (hmmmm once again, maybe crime and poverty went up cuase, jobs and opportunity went down in the city? Think there is a correlation? You need to stop letting your fingers out pace your brain)

The only redevlopment occuring in the city is because whites feel like doing something not because blacks all of the sudden decided to change the city for the better. (Really and you know this how since you have your finger so tight on the pulse of the city. Once again you show your youth and ignorance by painting a small picture with a very wide brush by sayin people like me that people have called crazy for moving BACK to a city where people are moving FROM in order to help it recover really havent done anything unless they were white eh?

Now if you have some clearing up to do, please make it quick.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't delete it, but I'll try and explain what I said. I definately didn't mean that in a rascist way.

I can't give you the black perspective on the conditions of modern American cities because I am not black, but I can try and explain what many white suburbanites feel because I am one and know many of them.

My statement was what I believe most suburban whites feel about the inner city. I'm not excusing it, I'm just explaining why there is this hate for the city coming from the suburbs. Some people may just see these city hating people as rascists, but I just wanted to show how many of them may see it.

People think with their eyes more than with their brains. Some white people see it as this, white people built it and when black people moved in, Detroit or any major American city became the big scary place full of crime and poverty. Its racism and ignorance backed up with the occasional fact. There are murders and there is poverty but its not just a black thing. Suburbanites think that the city is dangerous but sometimes the city is dangerous. The fact that there are homicides in the city and there are more poor people reinforces peoples images of the city being dangerous and poor.

Suburbanites just looking at the progress in the city can very easily say that it is happening because of white people. Condos downtown and hotels being developed are all being created by rich white guys. The people renovating homes in Brush Park are generally white.

They also seem to place the blame for the decline of Detroit on "lazy" black people. Whites were the people who killed Detroit. They built the freeways, they closed the factories, they cut off money to the police and schools. But nobody is going to see that, all they see is run down black neighborhoods next to the freeway.

Again, I'm just explaining what many people think of the city and why it is the way it is. People generally don't know the history and just want an easy answer. Urban blacks are just a skapecoat for disgrunteled suburbanites who feel bad about the decline of their old city.

(Message edited by milwaukee on January 01, 2007)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will never hear me say nor excuse all of the issues of th3e city, but perception or not even if a person may not be a racist to even have perceptions like those are racist in itself. Thats a superiority mentality that negative things are caused by every one else (namely Blacks) but them and to have the audacity to say "think about it from our perspcetive"? What do you want me to do excuse something that I percieve as racist? or does that only go one way?

Your perception may be your reality but the perceptions of 800 thousand Blacks in the City of Detroit is definetely real becuase we see it on a daily basis, we fight for better on a daily basis. We see outside investment (though we question the intent with justifiable concern), but nontheless our reality is the same reality that we have have damn near since day one of our experiences in this country.

But I am sorry but that explanation dont fly. Can I kinda see what you are trying to get at? Somewhat, but to me it is nothing more than ignorance being made a scapegoat of ones own stereotypes and racist notions...

But then again that is just me. That is not enough to pacify me believe that...

Milwaukee

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I edited my response, I think I did a better job explaining it. If not then I'm happy to try and fix our disagreement.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its an unpleasant truth but people are racist and sometimes they have some reason to back up their thoughts.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, but instead of just trying to rationalize ones perceptions (because others will take it as gospel) then why not try to learn from the other one's perspective instead of being so stuck with your own?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, its good to keep an open mind and see both sides. I'll work harder on trying to see it from the other side. I know that blame goes to everyone. White and black, poor and rich.

I feel it is important to rationalize peoples opinions to better to understand what the problems are. Opinions can be changed and if you rationalize to opposing sides we could get the two races to work together for a better Detroit, rather than working against each other.

Sorry if I offended you Detroit_stylin.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, i cannot believe what you wrote up there, jesus christ man, those are ignorant ideas. whites were "pushed out?" black's can't keep up their homes as well as the whites did in the 50's? man, i just lost some serious respect for you...

Karl

Post Number: 5587
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Andylinn and stylin, Milwaukee had it mostly right. Milwaukee, shame on you for backing down on facts that were not racist, but mentioned race. There's a difference.

I've known many, many whites who lived in Detroit, loved the city, stayed until they feared for their safety and/or their property was nearly worthless, and then left. Fact of life, sorry. If they were, in your wrongly used term, "racist" they would have left when the first "minority" moved in - they would not have been the last whites to leave.

Detroit's decline took place long before any of this, and it occurred in the families. The riots of 1967 exemplified this, and later looting/riots/high murder rates in Detroit & other US cities pointed this out. New Orleans is the latest example. Yes, drag out the tired fact that a few whites rioted also. But the fact remains: blacks have been in charge for 35+ years and have made decisions about "cutting police budgets" and other assorted choices. But the family continued to deteriorate, and so has the city.

It sounds like all of you really don't care for whites, but you're happy to take "white's money" in the form of jobs, investment in the city, and property taxes. Hypocritcal? Racist? It's how you talk and act, you decide.

I've never forgotten the figures from a study during the years Detroit was the murder capital of the world (mid '70's, I think) It showed that 80+% of murder victims in Detroit were black males between 18-25, murdered by someone they knew

By that time, the few whites I knew that still resided in Detroit lived in secure highrises.

To stylin: when a landlord rents out a HOUSE, regardless of the landlord's/tenant's race, the TENANT is expected to mow the lawn and keep the property clean. Roof, painting, water heater etc are the responsibility of the landlord. Sometimes a vicious circle occurs: if a landlord becomes fearful (tenant drug/alcohol abuse, etc) he may not want to venture in for maintenance. Perhaps the lack of maintenance causes the tenant to further abuse the property? Then there is total breakdown.

Whoever is in charge, and whoever is left: you have a city to run. CLEAN IT UP, insist on law enforcement starting with litter and zoning violations, and otherwise act like responsible adults.

At the same time, clean up the family situation. You like Detroit? Then Detroit families start with YOU, not anyone else.

The situations of murders, drug abuse, shoplifting, messed-up neighborhoods (a weekly 1-hour joint clean-up is a good place to start) the abortion holocaust, 80% out-of-wedlock births, burned out cars and cleaning up charred houses that have been there since 1967 are all places to start. Want to wait for taxpayers money to do it? Outside investors? well-meaning suburbanites? Enjoy the wait, it's been going on for nearly 40 years and look what you have.

Finally, take a long look at how the city looked when Coleman Young took office, and how it looked when he left. Want more of the same? Then elect more Coleman Youngs. Want something different? Then do something different. As they say, "if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you got."

(Message edited by karl on January 03, 2007)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3491
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl I think your hood and robes are ready to be picked up from the cleaners. I believe that they removed that red 'stain' for you...

Karl

Post Number: 5591
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stylin, more of your silliness and posts that discredit you. But please, don't let my posts disturb your stupor. Go smooch up to Milwaukee, he'll be swayed by such nonsense.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only stupor is a result of the fact that I think clearly and hate free, unlike closet racists that spew their hate filled rhetoric from BF Arizona.

Beware Karl... the darkies will soon be out your way to fuck up your hood soon. Get ready to be 'pushed' out like you and like minded, small minded like thinkers 'percived you were here...

MUAAHA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 02, 2007)

Karl

Post Number: 5592
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You only think I'm in AZ today, stylin........

Happy New Year to you and yours.

And as for Detroit, now that it is "your" city, just like Burger King: Have it your way!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We been havin it our way for 50'sw years when you threw the city away like so much trash like you normally think of people of color anyway...

No Thank you on your holiday greeting, I get the feeling that the only thing 'happy' to you is anything that represents a throwback to the 50's, you know those days when things were seen clearly in "black and white" and women knew their place.

The Good Ol' (boy) Days we know you miss so much...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det stylin said:

quote:

I agree, but instead of just trying to rationalize ones perceptions (because others will take it as gospel) then why not try to learn from the other one's perspective instead of being so stuck with your own?

Then he said:

quote:

Karl I think your hood and robes are ready to be picked up from the cleaners. I believe that they removed that red 'stain' for you...

Detstylin, when you play the "hood and robes" card based on a post like Karl's latest, I think you might also "be stuck on your own perceptions."

I routinely disagree with many of Karl's opinions and statements, but it is not racist to discuss race. When you make posts like your "hood and robes" insult rather than engaging in a dialogue, you very effectively promote and perpetuate the racial divisions that plague this region. You become part of the problem rather that part of the solution. You are engaging in a "superiority mentality" (your term) when you gleefully leap to play the KKK card every time your infallible racism radar is triggered.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3494
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Swing Karl is a "special case"...one that I don't debate real facts with since he rarely adds anything but his thinly veiled racisim and neo conservative bullshit therefore there is no sense in trying to have any type of intelligent discourse with someone who has all the cognitive skills of a common rock.

And for one who ummm....rarely disagrees with Karl's posts it seems mighty funny how you chose to chastise me when you can see CLEARLY who bogarded into something not adressed to his. But thank you for your observation that I seem to never engage in dialogue. That was something that I never knew...

See when someone (like Milwaukee), comes in with what he feels is a point, then I will (as you can read above, but you neglected to acknowledge) engage that individual with an intelligent response. When someone else like Karl comes in with his typical bullshit then why waste good energy with a blockhead?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3495
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Swing Karl is a "special case"...one that I don't debate real facts with since he rarely adds anything but his thinly veiled racisim and neo conservative bullshit therefore there is no sense in trying to have any type of intelligent discourse with someone who has all the cognitive skills of a common rock.

And for one who ummm....rarely disagrees with Karl's posts it seems mighty funny how you chose to chastise me when you can see CLEARLY who bogarded into something not adressed to him. But thank you for your observation that I seem to never engage in decent dialogue. That was something that I never knew...

See when someone (like Milwaukee), comes in with what he feels is a point, then I will (as you can read above, but you neglected to acknowledge) engage that individual with an intelligent response. When someone else like Karl comes in with his typical bullshit then why waste good energy with a blockhead?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4139
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would Karl and Stylin just make out and get it over with so the rest of us needn't be burdened by your constant lovers quarrels. You both probably respect Glen Plummer. In this crazy mixed up world that should be enough to build a solid relationship of man-love.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl will be OK. Of course this comes from someone who has had a few heated shout fests with himself...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 02, 2007)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read what happened since I left. Both sides tell a truth.

I'm happy my post turned into a discussion.

Do you think that there is a problem in American inner cities?

What do you think of modern day black leadership?

What causes this cycle of poverty and how do you break it?

I'm interested to hear anybody's responses. I know my posts were pretty outright, but if were going to have a discussion about a sensative topic then we should drop the political correctness.

When or if politicians ever decide to tackle poverty and race disparity in America, they can't be politically correct and try not to step on any toes.

P.S. For anyone interested, I saw When the Levees fell. Excellent series, very fair but also did a great job scathing those at fault. It really went into the race problem in New Orleans. Highly recommended.

Karl

Post Number: 5598
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, after nearly 3 days of silence, perhaps it is evident to you that you've landed squarely on "the third rail" of inner city issues: talking about real, essential, politically incorrect and basic problems and their solutions. Let's recap - you asked:

1. Is there a fundamental problem in the inner cities?

2. What does one think of black leadership as it relates to this problem?

3. Can it be discussed here frankly and openly (in other words, in a politically incorrect way?)

4. (and here is perhaps where you impaled yourself) Do the recent race/political issues in New Orleans mirror the same basic problem we see in Detroit?

"It" is why you will not see an in-depth discussion of the words of Bill Cosby on these threads. "It" is why you will routinely see the Craigd's, Mrjoshua's, even Swingline's and Gildas' posts sent to the back of the bus to be disposed of, skewered and/or ignored.

The nearly complete breakdown of the family and related values will continue to plague from within, and radiate all around, eventually affecting everyone in some small or large way. Some, like Cosby, have made a valiant effort to speak out and focus, only to run square into "kill the messenger" and ignore the message.

The message isn't as painful as what it would take to correct the problem: CHANGE

One can hope, and pray. It doesn't appear, however, that anything of substance will be happening soon. It reminds me of the AIDS epidemic and the movie "And The Band Played On" showing the problem starting in Africa (oddly coincidental) and eventually the government beginning to intervene. Now the popular opinion is that a new miracle drug will solve the problem.

But it won't.

Today, we have several factors at work in the inner city, and to a lesser extent, all across society, but as we know, magnified where lifestyles accelerate the problem, much like AIDS: Horrific murder, drug/alcohol, and abortion casualties. Different cause of death, far earlier average age, and vastly more "effective" than AIDS at eliminating the outward signs of the problem.

Unfortunately, this problem will never be solved by a miracle drug. Nor, does it appear, that it will come any closer to a solution by meaningful discussion on these threads.

Most "messengers" tire of being whacked, while silly folks contend that the same government they vilify on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis will come in and solve the problem.

Don't expect a solution (or any meaningful discussion) anytime soon. Too bad - it is part of our basic lifeblood.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mil-town shoot me an email

detroitstylin2000 at yahoo dot com

Now back to the topic of the thread that I began that got derailed somehow...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 03, 2007)

Karl

Post Number: 5662
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh stylin, after more than 2 days, not one person wants to get "back to the topic of the thread that" you "began that got derailed somehow..." so what gives?

I think everyone's reluctant to discuss what they see is the real problem: complete breakdown of the home in the African American family unit. As we all know, African Americans make up 85% of Detroit's population.

What do you think?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3. Can it be discussed here frankly and openly (in other words, in a politically incorrect way?)"

Not politically incorrect, just skip the bullshit, there is a serious problem and the city and the state should skip the formalities and work on solving the issue.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3545
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really KArl so once again you say that you are an expert in African American affairs. AGo on since we are on the topic explain to us in depth and detail exactly 3hat is wrong, along with with stats in figures with the African AMerican nuclear family.

I'd be more than interested in seeing what you haven to say. Go on the floor is yours, since you seem to know more about Blacks than Blacks seem to. So enlighten me and the rest of the People of Color that frequent this forum and be frank about it...

Oh and dont forget to bring your stats with you to back your ludicrous claims as well...

Karl

Post Number: 5690
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said plenty (which you refer to as "ludicrous claims") and Cosby has said plenty more - all with plenty of "stats" that you request.

It's time to hear responses from Detroit's African Americans, not more of stylin's whining and veiled requests for more government assistance. There's 7-800,000 of ya in Detroit and much of the area looks like a box of used kitty litter (which stylin whines about as "hate" when it is shown on YouTube)

So what say ya?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO you imply that you know all the ills that affect People of Color, so since you put yourself out there, please fill the rest of us ignorant people in on what affects us...

Obviously you know more than we do. Oh and please back your claims up with thats. TY.

Karl

Post Number: 5692
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry stylin - it's up to you, and if the overall response of the citizens of Detroit is as weak as yours, there isn't much reason for hope.

Obviously, it's your city now and you can do with it as you wish. But if your attitude is any indication (smelling like 3-day old fish) don't expect new businesses/residents/visitors to come flocking.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3547
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl I am still waiting for you to explain to me what is wrong within the Black community since you so eloquently pointed out your flawed stats, and your views on the state of Black America and Detroit in particular?

And I do not want to hear "Well the Cos' said it" or no other talking points since it's been proven over and over that you lack the ability for self thought and self expression. And unless you can prove me wrong by introducing your 'stats' tpo back up why African Americans in the CofD are in such dire straits solely becuase of the break up of the nuclear family then you will forever be parrot that regurgitates everything that is told to you that fits your lilly white "Blacks brought this situation upon themselves" conservative mentality.

I am doing something I never thought I would ever do on this forum. I am actually sitting patiently for Karl's thoughts on the issue. Is it possible I actually shut him up for once?

Please Karl enlighten me...

I'm waiting...

Scs100

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god. Another duel between members. This could be interesting...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, nice double entendre there. :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Bets on whether it gets as nasty as the last one?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's time to hear responses from Detroit's African Americans, not more of stylin's whining and veiled requests for more government assistance. There's 7-800,000 of ya in Detroit and much of the area looks like a box of used kitty litter"

I think we should note that poverty is not a "black" thing. A trip trough Appalachia or the rural south will quickly discourage that notion. Palmer's Woods is only 20% white and it looks pretty damn nice. Delray is about 60% white and it looks like shit. Poverty is not a race problem, it is a matter of education.

Scs100

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well stated Milwaukee. Best explanation we've had yet.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3548
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mil town I havent forgotten about you, I am just having issues with my email, so we willk continue that discussion we were having there. Cool?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 606
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin and Karl - I just Googled "breakdown of the African American family" and came up with many different addresses/sites dedicated to the discussion of said topic.
I don't have time to look at each of them, but you two should in order to have a concise, spirited debate.

Scs100

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. Finally a way to not waste space here. :-)

Karl

Post Number: 5694
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I think see what Detroiters have to say here first. I've already spoken amply on various subjects that affect African Americans in particular, feel free to search the threads for them. In each case, stylin has blathered incoherently and I'm not interested in that sort of dialogue. Further, stylin has blasted Cosby, who's spoken far more eloquently on the subject than I ever could, stats and all, ridiculing Cosby for everything but the facts he presents.

So have at it, Detroiters. I'll sit this one out, as I've already contributed perhaps more than anyone here thinks I should. I have a feeling that most Detroiters are content with the status quo, but I'll be reading along to see how the discussion goes.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, you are far more open about what you really think than others here.
So many of us, me included, are afraid to offend someone, or to have anyone think poorly of us, so we edit our comments even as they sit in our minds.
Mostly I wanted Stylin to see that the breakdown of the African American family isn't your invention or a product of your fanciful imagination. It is a fact, and has been happening for years.

Karl

Post Number: 5697
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Kath - and because I've been so candid (and offended more than a few) I've already touched on this subject numerous times.

You are correct, and while not unique to the African American community, it has hit that segment of the population especially hard. However, I sense a denial of fact and unwillingness to openly discuss - even in this faceless, rather anonymous place. Usually that indicates an unwillingness to change.

Perhaps more concerning is an open mocking of the problem by those who could do the most - African American men.

As I said earlier, they're in charge of the place now - and have been for 35 years - and this particular situation is getting worse rather than better.

Stay tuned -

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

I always enjoy your perspective, though I don't always agree with you . This board needs a few more like you. You bring balance.

I still think you spend more than 2-3 minutes/day here.

Karl

Post Number: 5698
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo -

OK, 4 then.

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this talk about "my perspective" or "his perspective" are moot. It's the actions of a community that count. Karl's point about Blacks being in charge for 35 years is pretty hard to refute....

Supersport

Post Number: 11166
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEEEEE-troit BASKET-braaaaawl! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gfWvKZUpkcY

Tetsua

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did a hell of a job trying to break that fight up.

Fmrdtwn
Username: Fmrdtwn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@detroit stylin, man you are way off base here! Sorry to jump in but it is a forum.
Karl hit it right on the head with his post and it was really factual and on point and how do you repond? With a racial insult! Classy.
Why does Mil owe you any explination on his post? He owes you nothing and when he states his oppinion you bash him a call him racist! Then your response to Karl in none better!
Listen we all own part of Detroits demise but the current residents want to take no responsibilty in it, why not?

Fmrdtwn
Username: Fmrdtwn

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far eastsider you are silly! who the hell has the Balls to walk around with a cam corder in the city even the belle isle was shot from inside a car.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're in need of a good laugh, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xhE-0IDpkiM

Milwaukee

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just watched the video that started this thread. It was pretty sad although they had some good pictures. I don't see how it was DetroitHate. They didn't doctor the images and sing "Detroit, what a shithole!"

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay I admit I have not read this entire thread... but I know that I actively travel throughout the city doing recording sessions... out to the far east side where the good studios are... and I see a lot of positive... people... restaurants... business... things are growing here... I'm just happy to be a part of it as a transported D towner!

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua,
Thank you for the link. Over the years I've ended several conversations by simply saying, "It's 6 o'clock and it's time to rock" The reference is lost on most.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate? Looks like urban ambience- good sound track too

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.