Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Masonic Temple « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be visiting Detroit again on a weekend soon with a friend.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you have any info on the Masonic Temple of Detroit. I heard the theatre is amazing there. Is this a building worth going to visit.

Is it safe to walk that area on a weekend. Any safety issues I should know about?

Any info you guys know on the building?

Thanks

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is really sweet...I would definitely go check it out...I saw phantom of the opera there a year ago and had a better time walking around the building and checking it out than I did watching the show..

make sure you bring a gun with you though... (that's a joke, btw)

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area is quiet. Enjoy the largest masonic temple in the WORLD!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=158525

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7273
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to coordinate your schedule with Jelk.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/88197.html?1165001 664

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to familiarize yourself with this first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =n-cCfZrkCFI

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7274
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago The Guardian problished an article saying, "Detroit is not glamorous. It is gritty real."

Welcome to Cass Park: Five acres of greenspace in the middle of the Cass Corridor. When you get there you'll see grass, trees, statuary, emptied liquor bottles, kids on swings, homeless folks, hookers, preachers and old men chatting on park benches. It is oddly safe - I'd let my mother walk through it. But don't expect Campus Martius. It's "gritty real."

(Message edited by itsjeff on December 26, 2006)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...emptied liquor bottles...

I still can't believe all the damn liquor bottles I picked up at the Cass Park clean up Itsjeff.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7275
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, Meliss, Jelk, Jmy, Brenda, Matt, EricC, NeilR, GhettoButterfly... Anyone who gives up a Saturday to clean up Cass Park is a hero in my book.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba loves to get shopping carts back to the right stores. Got any of them in Cass Park?

Itsjeff with 7275 posts getting the job done.
Zei mir gazunt.

jjaba.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people don't realize that the Masonic Temple actually has 3 theatres.

The 4,600 seat Masonic Temple Theatre, the 1,585 seat Scottish Rite Cathedral (theatre), and on top of the tower is a 3rd theatre that was framed, but never finished (there was never a need for it). The unfinished space is used for storage.

It probably would have seated about 600-800.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7276
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckily, the lack of retail precludes the presence of shopping carts. Pity. They'd come in handy when we haul away the trash.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my understanding that the Masons offered to give the Temple to Wayne State and they did nt want it.

Does anyone know if and when there might be another tour of the temple.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to second the tour question. My impression was that there was a large tour every other year. Anyone have any details? I seem to recall that some forumers went on a tour sometime last year.

I would love to take a tour of that building.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a tour in November this year as well as last year by the Detroit Historical Society. Check their website next fall.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, I never heard that one. At one point there was a president of the largest lodge at Masonic who was trying to get his lodge to move out and into the burbs. From what I gathered (after all, this is secret stuff), he was voted out of office, and the lodge has remained at Masonic Temple.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT MASONIC TEMPLE. 1920-1926. Cass Park, Detroit. Built: George D. Mason.

Built for 50 Masonic Lodges of several streams and is the largest Masonic Lodge complex in the World. At that time, and in the decade previously, 10,000 men were signed up as Masons per week around the World. It was a huge movement.

The Detroit Temple complex is built of Indiana Limestone. It is a registered US Landmark. Rennovations in 1990 cost $5 Million.

Some large spaces include:

17,500 sq. ft. drill hall. (Trade Show Space.)
1,586 seat Scottish Rite Cathedral.
2 ballrooms, one of 17,264 sq. ft.
4,404 seat Masonic Auditorium with 55X100 ft. stage.

The complex has 1,036 rooms.

jjaba.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masonic Temple has hosted many jazz events over the years, including a Jazz At The Philharmonic concert late in 1949 that featured Bird. Organized by pioneer Det jazz radio guy Bill Randle.
After the concert, Parker went to the Blue Bird Inn to jam and his effort was captured on Acetate.
Historic.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Barenaked Ladies at the Masonic Theatre last year. It was nothing short of spectacular!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw the Barenaked Ladies at the Masonic Theatre

That's funny, because Jelk likes to sit in front of the Masonic Temple and think about Barenaked Ladies.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have thought the ol' Cass Corridor would have gotten upgrades before Brush Park did. Anyone know about any development talk in this area? Seems like a great area to let go to waste.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in the Masonic a lot lately due to the White Stripes concerts (I believe Jack White's mom once worked there) and the Detroit Derby Girls. The latter recently organized a tour and it was incredible. I believe these tours occur more frequently than what's been posted. I was told you could just call and set one up for groups.

Another large space is the unfinished pool.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4672
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba saw Judy Garland there.
jjaba saw Leonard Bernstein conduct the New York Philharmonic Orchestra there.

Anybody know those dates? Probably in 1950s.

jjaba.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The excellent Images of America book series has one featuring the Masonic Temple. Not much text but lots of great pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroits -Masonic-Temple-Images-America /dp/073854034X/sr=1-1/qid=1167 373626/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-025 9663-3572732?ie=UTF8&s=books

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in a tour, I can put you in touch with people who are more than happy to give one. sruthmann @ indstate dot edu

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go on the tour, prepare to be masonized.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.