Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Blend coffee shops - closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blend coffee shop in the Compuware building has been closed, apparently for good.

Rumor floating around is that the company went bankrupt. Can anyone confirm?

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody should take the initiative to put "The Beaner" in there. Great coffee....and FRESH. Get you rapping.

Ribalda

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had only been to that location once, but if the market is good enough, I'm sure Beaners', the Coffee Beanery, or Starbucks will take a look at that unit

The two latter I have been or currently am an employee of

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Beaners came to Detroit I would never go back to Lansing. My family could come visit me, but I would have no reason to ever leave.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blend closed up shop in Macomb county areas also. Looks like they're done.

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just opened one 1/4 of a mile from my house, at 21 Mile and Hayes. I've been there a few times, and it's good, but needless to say I'm sort of partial.

Apparently they're currently building 6 more locations in metro Detroit and are looking to expand comprehensively to be a substantial figure in the coffee market in the area.

Rochester, Keego Harbor, and Auburn Hills also have locations.

www.beaners.com

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaners that is.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many many great memories of going to Beaner's while in college at MSU. The original one is right next to campus and they are headquartered in Lansing. Great Michigan company to support. Would love to see them downtown. They have experience in a downtown market, they have two locations in Downtown Lansing.

http://www.beaners.com/

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the crying for Oslo but nothing for a long time nonchain place like the Blend? You'll get your Beaners, Chessecake Factory and dozens of Starbucks in the end. Good luck.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the longest time they only had 3 locations. But now have something like 75 locations in 9 states.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are talking about two different types of clientele, Buddy.

Oslo was a specific place, a destination. The Blend was a nice coffee shop, but somewhat interchangeable with other coffee shops.

To contrast, when Cafe de Troit closed we lost a local meeting place, a point of community connection, and a chance to see a great hands-on owner every day in addition to a great coffeeshop. It was mourned quite a bit more.

It is sad to see this go because ... WTF is up with this town and coffee shops?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Beaners came to Detroit I would never go back to Lansing. My family could come visit me, but I would have no reason to ever leave.

There is a Beaners on Plymouth Rd., east of Farmington in Livonia.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two Blends downtown had somewhat difficult locations. The one across from Cobo was a little bit too far for a quick trip for the folks working in buildings closer to Woodward. Starbucks in the Buhl Building is perfectly located and captured all the prime business.

The store in the Compuware building had no street visibility. It had to get almost all of its business from the upstairs workers. Apparently there wasn't enough business from them. Also, it's not unusual to see Compuware workers trekking over to the Starbucks at all times of the day.

I hope the landlords can find quality tenants for the vacated space.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the Blend should have had an outdoor presence the way Borders and Kinkos does. Its easier for Compuware employees to get coffee from the cafeteria than to go downstairs for "unremarkable" coffee.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine worked at the Blend and was layed off several weeks before it officially closed. Her story was, she was layed off due to one or maybe both of the Blends closing in New Center. New Center staff moved to the downtown location. She was the bottom of the totem pole. The lease with New Center was violated and the Blend was sued. Soon after, the Blend closed down all their stores to the surprise of their staff. There was no warning.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blend Coffee was gas station quality. We can certainly do better. Their problem was not only location, it was product. The smoothies weren't too bad, but a coffee shop has to do coffee well, and they didn't.

All the Detroit small business coffee talk and no mention of Rowland Cafe. Mmmmmmmm, now that's good coffee.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Rowland Cafe has the best coffee downtown.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where else can I get a fresh smoothy when I visit again for the Autoshow in January?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11032
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richmond maybe?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked the espresso drinks in The Blend. I liked their stuff way better than Starbucks. It was nice to taste the espresso flavor, & not just the syrups. I am very sad to see them go, & I wish their laid-off workers the best.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a great smoothie place in the Ren Cen. I think it's on the 2nd level of tower tower 300, if I remember correctly.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seriously now......how hard is it to make a smoothie?

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunkin Donuts has better coffee than Starbucks

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had some bad Dunkin' Donuts coffee lately. The Beaner The Beaner....a new chain.

Ribalda

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost every place has better coffee than Starbucks. Starbucks: "the McDonalds of coffee".

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw Em all, we need a Timmy's Downtown!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blend's standard coffee was on the weak side; not much better than, say, Denny's.

Beaner's (NOT the Coffee Beanery... that stuff is lame too) would be a great replacement. Much better quality.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4944
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised Beaners is so well known outside of Lansing, but I keep hearing its supposedly the second largest coffee shop franchise after Starbucks, which doesn't mean much as I'm sure there is quite a gap in the number of stores between 1 and 2. lol

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm, I would have expected Caribou Coffee to have the number 2 nationally...but maybe that was the past, seems like their best days are behind them

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks is the largest coffee company in the world, followed by Caribou. I know because I work for them.

As for Starbucks' quality [brewed coffee], I don't necessarily care for the taste straight up, and I always put a little water in mine. The reason why it's so bold is because Starbucks carefully chooses their beans and only extracts the beans that are of the highest quality, often producing the most potent flavor. I could go into hours of Starbucks talk including how elevation, region, and roasting tactics effect the beans, but I'm sure you all could care less, especially because that has no relevance to the topic of this thread.

As for Starbucks espresso beans, they have espresso drinks nailed...although other chains do grasp it nearly as well. The taste often depends on the quality of the espresso rather than the other ingredients, and Starbucks espresso equipment is state-of-the-art, as well as using the highest quality espresso.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The reason why it's so bold is because Starbucks carefully chooses their beans and only extracts the beans that are of the highest quality, often producing the most potent flavor."

Bold?

Bitter is more like it. And there is absolutely no connection between bitter coffee and "highest quality beans" --- Unless you believe the corporate-spewed gobblygook.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a humble person---put in a Dunkin Donuts. Best coffee bargain on the planet.

Yvette248

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another nomination for DD.

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've worked at a few different "gourmet" coffee companies and by far - Starbucks has the best beans. Coffee won't be bitter if it's fresh. Try asking how long it's been sitting in the pot next time.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Owner of the Blend was a good guy, a sincere Detroit booster that owned some restaurants in the City over the years. I think he hoped the Blend would be a concept that could be copied over and over allowing him to spend his time elsewhere. Unfortunately, without the 'person in charge' being visible to the customer, the operation was a bit mediocre.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7669
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must've been afraid to hire strong managers.

They would've been his 'face' when he wasn't around.

Classic entrepreneur mistake.

Forget your first success contained a lot of you.

The transition from 'run by one' to 'run by more than one' is usually the toughest in the entire growth curve of an organization.

Fury13

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent points, Gannon.

Sterlingfox
Username: Sterlingfox

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
"There is a great smoothie place in the Ren Cen. I think it's on the 2nd level of tower tower 300, if I remember correctly."

That place's name is Maui Wowi and it's in Tower 400, level 1, sort of back behind where the Renaissance Dr. Marriot entrance is.

Fury13

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had very good Starbucks coffee most of the time, but on occasion I have run into the bitter taste that some folks complain about. Freshness does seem to be the key.

I think Caribou is pretty good, but I don't feel good about patronizing that chain because of its ownership.

(Message edited by Fury13 on December 21, 2006)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6092
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say I've ever had good coffee from Starbucks.

I'll second the lament of the loss of Cafe Detroit.

Sterlingfox

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13, Caribou is a publicly traded corporation. How is ownership a problem?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect this describes the concerns that some express about Caribou:

http://www.snopes.com/business /alliance/caribou.asp

Sterlingfox

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That explains it, but as the last paragraph of that page states, the company cut all ties to this supposed Islamic militant board member back in 2002. I suppose that's still not going to assuage people's fears, though. Also, according to Caribou's web site, Arcapita, the middle-eastern bank, owns 61% (confirmed through Yahoo Finance), not 87.8%, not that this makes any real difference. Even so, I'm not reading anything that would make me worry.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Shoe Doctor in the Compuware hallway (a real master of his trade, BTW), a new company is taking over the Blend space and should have it open again within a few weeks. He didn't say who it was, but I'd be surprised if it were one of the big chains--they'd want to do more remodeling.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foreclosure shuts doors on Blend coffee shops

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad how things did not work out for him. It's a shame. But it sounds like two Michigan based coffee chains (Beaners and Coffee Beanery) are looking at expanding in Detroit.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad i just bought a blender and some fruit i learned some good smoothie recipes from my days at karmic

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaner's Coffee is fantastic! There are so many locations here in Lansing, it's so easy to hop in for a tasty cup o' joe. Last year, when I discovered that they were expanding so rapidly (they are the fastest growing coffee company in America), I was curious to find out if they were a publicly traded (I figure if they are expanding that fast then any public stock they might have is bound to boom in a short period of time). Alas, they are still privately owned.

They just opened a shop in Sarasota, Florida. My mom is hooked on their coffee so she said she will be making the drive from Tampa to pick up Beaner's coffee whenever she gets the chance.

Fury13

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need for Coffee Beanery to go in there. I can get bad coffee at Denny's, thank you very much.

The coffee in Astoria Bakery in Greektown isn't too bad for a mild blend.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

worth noting that the downfall of the Blend occurred when they opened the Shelby Township location......just goes to show you. Suburbs = Bad. City = Good. That's your karma right there.

oh,and I hate Coffee Beanery. always have, always will. agree with you there Fury13.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Europa cafe in Greektown makes excellent expresso. They will even make a "ristretto" which is how it's usually served in Italy, with less than half the little cup filled with coffee. Really just a "hit" of perfect flavor. Most Americans think they are getting shorted, so most places will water it up, when in fact this is how to get the best tasting expresso. Also the Rowland Cafe in the Guardian Bldg makes good expresso. Both use Illy brand coffee. Signor Illy is a fanatic about coffee quality and the process of making expresso. He wrote an article that was published in Scientific American about how to make the perfect expresso.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an idea. I always feel guilty when a business closes. "If only I had patronized them, they might still be open" My problem is that I have a list of favorite places and rarely stray from the list. However, at one time they, too were new to the list. So back to my idea. Can anyone provide a list of business that need a little boost in business to survive? Maybe we could all refer to the list when choosing where to eat, drink, dance, etc. Once they close it's too late. And please don't say "every business needs a boost". That's obvious. I am talking about some that are teetering on the verge of closing. I remember reading about the coffee shop near Central United Methodist Church and how it had been broken into so many times but the owner refused to give up. I made it a point and went out of my way to get coffee there as often as I could after reading that. But sure enough, it closed any way. I don't mean my purchases alone were going to keep it open, but I was hoping that other people were doing the same. Maybe a few fledgling businesses could be saved through our efforts.

Tamber
Username: Tamber

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss cafe de troit as well, but you can still order their coffee from Intelligentsia coffee in Chicago. Just ask for Cafe de Troit's Motor City Blend, or any of your old favorites. They will ship it to you and you can brew it at home.

I was in total shock about The Blend and Oslo. I know the owners are beside themselves.

-Cafe

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. I don't like hearing about places going under in downtown.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7828
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every failed coffeehouse is merely delayed revolution, isn't it?!

We used to laugh with Jim from the old Gotham City Coffeehouse up in Ferndale...which came first in France, the coffeehouses or the talk of revolution? How much DID caffeine play in those events?!

Seems I've been talking about it for seventeen years now...heh. That's a lot of caffeine.

Fury13

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Robespierre and I used to talk about coffee a lot. But then, one of those mobs got him, and you know the rest...

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also didn't help that the workers at the Blend store on 23 mile were giving away free drinks to their friends. It was a decent place, but I noticed that it was frequented by alot of young kids (big turn-off if I wanted to go relax with a cup of joe). Come to find out they were getting 100% discount on ice cream and smoothies.
I think the owners were over-extended and couldn't effectively manage the place.

Yvette248

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just opened a Beaners across from the Southfield Public Library. Evergreen & 11 Mile.

Yvette1234
Username: Yvette1234

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It’s hard to say what’s going wrong with our metropolitan independent coffee shops other than the big-boys (Starbucks, Caribou, Coffee Beanery and Beaners) are succeeding due to name only. I’m a serious coffee-head college student who love to support independent coffee shops. I’ve seen so many shops that have gone out of business. The Blend, Wallstreet Café (closed and re-opened under another name) due to bad location…Camillians Café, Café De Troit, The Brown Bean, Meetery Eatery all closed for what ever reasons?

The only shops left Downtown Detroit other than Starbucks are Rowlands Café’ and The Coffee Café (both have excellent coffees) plus The Wayne State area coffee-shops Avalon and Bean & Bytes… all are very nice and hope they survive.…I will continue to support them all!

Then there are the suburban coffee shops like Muggs that was located in Commerce Twp, did not last 2 years, the Daily Grind in Utica had to sell because they were too far from the street. Jazzy Java, Troy trying to sell due to poor visibility from being too far from the street. And other like Bravo Gourmet Coffee, Southfield, Brazil Coffee, Royal Oak, Black Gold Coffee, Southfield.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are Rowlands Cafe' and the Coffee Cafe' located downtown?

Texorama

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brazil in RO is a good example. That was the place to see and be seen there for a while, yet it couldn't survive, while dull old Caribou and Starbucks keep chugging along. I just don't get the economics of it.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brazil was open a lot longer than Java was though...

Now excuse me while I go get my Alice in Chains CD and black eyeliner...

Yvette1234

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To:Formerspringgardener

Both are located in beautiful historic buildings.

Rowland Cafe (Guardian Building)
500 Griswold St
Detroit, MI 48226

The Coffee Cafe (The Dime Building)
719 Griswold St
Detroit, MI 48226

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Yvette1234, I'll have to check them out.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Texorama
Brazil in RO is a good example. That was the place to see and be seen there for a while, yet it couldn't survive, while dull old Caribou and Starbucks keep chugging along. I just don't get the economics of it.

There were only around 6 coffee shops on a 2 block stretch of Main Street at that time. I am surprised there are still as many coffee shops in downtown RO currently.

Yvette1234

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many coffee shops are currently on the Main Street strip...Starbucks, Caribou and Sweetwaters? I love Sweetwaters!

It's seems that Java Hutt's two locations are doing fine (Ferndale and Birmingham).

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 583
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Java Hutt's Birmingham location has become MobileLounge since Sep/Oct 2006. In fact, MobileLounge is expanding fast into Oakland Mall and elsewhere due to the financial support and being bankrolled by Wireless Giant.

It is increasingly difficult for sole proprietor coffee houses to succeed.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say put a big boy downtown!

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had a "Blend" open here in Lexington Ky
last fall, and it closed in 2 weeks....doubt it even had any customers. Overextended? Greedy?
Name some other retail chains that boomed quickly, then crashed. Didn't Federals do this?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to go 50/50 with me and open a Beaners downtown?

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Tim Hortons downtown!

Texorama

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are ladders and dropcloths inside the former Compuware Blend. Too early to tell who it is, and the Shoe Doctor didn't know, either. Glad to see them, though.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new coffee place is set to open early next week.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll miss the smoothies at the blend, I have a taste for those every now and then.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever had a smoothie from Jamba Juice in Chicago???? I wish they would open some locations in Metro D.

Windexgirl
Username: Windexgirl

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD - I had smoothies at Jamba Juice in LA and Vegas, they were terrific!

Well it seems that the Blend location in the Compuware building will be re-opening as another coffee shop:
Expected to open January 30 at 6:30 a.m., Janet’s Java will operate Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Janet’s will also be open 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays and for special events like the upcoming Winter Blast.

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second..or err Third that on Jamba Juice...nothing like sitting in the Hancock Plaza cooling off with one on a summer afternoon...

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cranberry Craze......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.