Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Riverwalk news « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

December 12, 2006

$250 million RiverWalk project to be more than 75 percent complete by year's end
As of Dec. 31, the East Riverfront's RiverWalk will be 78% complete, according to Detroit Riverfront Conservancy president Faye Alexander Nelson and COO Leonard Marsalek.
By Jan. 2008, the entire RiverWalk — stretching from Joe Louis Arena to Gabriel Richard Park just east of Belle Isle’s MacArthur Bridge — will be open.

Nelson says the $250 million project is “one of the most successful public-private partnerships in the nation,” receiving support from city, state and federal entities, as well as substantial help from private companies and nonprofits.

The western-most portion, the Civic Center stretch from Joe Louis Arena to Hart Plaza is complete, as is the GM Promenade in front of the Renaissance Center and the stretch of RiverWalk between Beaubien and Rivard. When a temporary asphalt connection between Hart Plaza and the Ren Cen is completed by year's-end, 1.2 continuous miles of riverfront will be open and accessible. Future work will complete the permanent promenade at the Bates Street Outfall, the site of Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority Public Dock and Terminal.

At the foot of Rivard, the Rivard Plaza is near completion, save for the installation of a carousel, donor bricks and landscaping, which will occur in the spring. Each of the planned plazas under development features a Chene Park-inspired pavilion for concessions, rentals, and tables and chairs. All pavilions will provide free WI-FI access.

Other plans include:

Tricentennial Park, Michigan’s first urban state park, will be expanded to a total of 31 acres. The park’s riverfront will be engineered using a soft-shore approach that will be a stormwater demonstration project using “green and sustainable principles,” says Marsalek. Until Tricentennial Park is completed, and for the walk around Chene Park, pedestrians and bikers will be routed along Atwater Street. Another plaza and pavilion is planned for the Chene Park vacinity.

In front of the Talon/Omni complex, a boardwalk will extend over the river. Placing rocks under the boardwalk will create a fish habitat, making this portion of the riverwalk a premier fishing destination.
The existing riverwalk in front of the UAW-GM Riverfront Joint Training Center will be enhanced and it will continue around the interior of the Harbortown marina.
A pavilion will be constructed at Mount Elliott Park, where activities will be oriented towards families and fishing.
A pavilion at Gabriel Richard Park is near completion. The park features a labyrinth that was donated by the Adcraft Club of Detroit and a butterfly garden that will be developed in sping of 2007.
Plans are not yet finalized for the public portion of the riverwalk at the Uniroyal site. Nelson says that the conservancy is working closely with the Bettis-Betters development team and asserts that, “The public and private developments will be integrated—they won’t be disjointed.”

The conservancy also is working on the East Riverfront to:

ensure the entire riverfront is accessible to individuals with disabilities and environmental best practices are being followed;
plan for River Days, a three-day event in summer of 2008;

develop security and parking strategies;
explore transportation alternatives, including bicycles taxis, Segway tours, trolleys, bike and roller blade rentals and water taxis.

Source: Faye Alexander Nelson and Leonard Marsalek, DRFC

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Segway tours

Cool!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to that stretch east of GM being opened up.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice to have the Bates section done even temporarily - it can't stink of sewer near the river as badly as it does walking on the street there

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine that security is going to be a concern, especially in getting people to come down that do not live near the river. Will there be a contracted company and cameras or something like that?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are the emergency safety poles on the portions that are done, that have lights and a button to call 911.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a security company walking a beat down there, too, at least near the RenCen. Don't know if they were GM's or whose.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for the segway tours and bicycle taxis.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are cams everywhere along the walk. Cams are a very good deterrent to crime. I am sure that the walk is built to accomodate police actions, being that it is an international crossing, even the feds have an interest in keeping it safe.

Segways have very limited application. It might be fin to have them rentable here, but they are also somewhat difficult to get a handle on using them. I would think that the liiabilities would be huge for running such a service. Me? I'd rather walk. Not much exercise invovled in riding a Segway.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have segway tours in other cities so it is within the realm of possibility for the riverwalk. Im with you though, Id rather walk, even though they look like a lot of fun.

Pkatmsu
Username: Pkatmsu

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cameras are running and are on a lot of the light posts, however the police do not monitor them. if you go in the atwater station, they have large flat screen (probably like a 42 inch widescreens) mounted on the walls but they keep them off because as they told me, those things dont work!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if the cameras aren't monitored, I'd hope that they're at least recording from the cameras, so that if anything did happen, they'd have evidence.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no kiddin' Doug, you realize how much trouble the DPD would be in if they did not work, and someone did something horrible and the person walked due to lack of evidence?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it is asking too much to expect that the DPD would make the Riverwalk a priority? Not being from Detroit, I am probably not yet sufficiently jaded.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7544
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'planner,

What you might've previously heard or experienced with the Segway is old news...they updated the firmware and operating system to reduce or eliminate the handling issues.

It was too much to have both Katie Couric and the President very publicly falling off these expensive things!

They are probably not playing that plasma all the time due to phosphor burn...that is the WRONG type of display for static images. Whoever sold them that piece should be shot in the head.

I don't even monitor MY security camera full-time on my cheap old 13-inch color set...

Never leave your CRT computer monitors on all the time...even with a screen saver, the wear and tear still happens...just with a blurred fuzz instead of defined edges to the edge of the highlighted area.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump -- does this segway with the other discussion around the river walk

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The downtown detroit partnership has some really nice pictures of the RiverWalk

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11074
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

$250 million RiverWalk project to be more than 75 percent complete by year's end
As of Dec. 31, the East Riverfront's RiverWalk will be 78% complete

I talked to somebody within the city about this yesterday. It appears that many articles in regards to the riverwalk are taking their information out of context and misinforming up. Unless of course, he means December 31st, 2007. Though that doesn't explain how they could finish the remaining portion in one day, for a 100% completion by January 2008. I was just over on Belle Isle yesterday, the riverwalk is hardly 78% complete from what I saw.

quote:

When a temporary asphalt connection between Hart Plaza and the Ren Cen is completed by year's-end, 1.2 continuous miles of riverfront will be open and accessible.

It is approximately 3 miles from Hart Plaza to the McArthur Bridge. 1.2 miles is around 40%, not 78%, so I'm left scratching my head wondering what the hell they are talking about, am I missing something?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are building the riverwalk at random places right now. That says, continuous.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that might mean 1.2 from the Joe to around the Ren Cen. But I have no idea. And until someone does something with the Uniroyal site, there is no way in hell that the thing will be finished.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the statements about progress:

In July, the Riverfront Conservancy issued a press release in which Faye Nelson said "Our goal is to have 75% of the east RiverWalk... completed by years end..." Note that was stated as a goal, not a prediction. Also, obviously, coming in July 2006, the phrase "by years end" could only have meant the end of 2006.

I'm not sure where the article (at the start of this thread) appeared nor who wrote it, but the statement from the press release to which I refer was the most recent statement from the Conservancy on its own web site regarding progress.

Eyes and ears, everyone - we're all downtown, regularly or from time to time, and we see what's truly going on. So if you're in the RiverWalk area, just keep us posted! Don't rely on the fourth estate; it is very unreliable. A photo or description from a blogger is worth ten pages of crap in the newspaper.

All in all, it's a great project, so don't get discouraged by delays or inaccurate information. Unlike Detroit's endless series of transit proposals, this actually seems to be getting developed!

Cheers,
Professor Scott
(that's my first name, by the way.)

French777

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is chene park done?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11096
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to Tricentenial Park? Chene Park has been done for years.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear about the riverwalk being close to completion. I'll make it a priority next time I'm in Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father said to me a few weeks ago that the Detroit Riverwalk was nothing like San Antonio's. I had to explain to him that the Detroit river is ever so much wider and that it could neve be the same. I suggested to him that any riverwalk in detroit is better than the riverfront was previously. He agreed and hopefully some time soon the 'rents will take a stroll on it...

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know when the Dequindre Cut Green Way/Path to Eastern Market is going to get started?

Anyone know of plans to improve Eastern Market?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a great view of the cut from my apartment in Lafayette Park. I like the graffiti art on the wall, but I would love to have a nice park connected with the riverfront just steps away.

Professorscott

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigansheik,

I have heard they might start construction of the pathway this year. There will be a few "exits" off the path onto the surface streets above.

What needs to be improved at Eastern Market?

Scott

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they are proceeding with the Dequinder Cut Bike/Pathway project then? I thought that that was just one of those projects that they talked about...

Professorscott

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project is funded and was supposed to have started in spring of 2006, but I haven't seen any work on it, and I'm not sure why it got hung up. The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy is sort of the "owner" of the project - do any of you have contacts there you could ask about the status?

Professor Scott

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dequindre Cut hangup was they found an undocumented sewer line within the right of way. After some testing, they found it was connected to the Detroit sewer system. I know the Conservancy met with the Mayor's office in November to push them into taking action on this line since it was holding up the trail project. That's the last I heard and I don't know what the outcome was from that meeting.

French777

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far is the West riverfront suppose to go?
past the Ambassador Bridge?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the Ambassador Bridge.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it goes past the Ambassador bridge to West Grand Boulevard before turning into the Southwest Detroit Riverfront Greenway. As I recall the latter returns to the river corridor at Fort Wayne and continues downstream.

Here's a map: http://www.corktowndetroit.org /2005/downloads/greenlink.pdf

There's another less detailed map on page 30 of this PDF:
http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/file_repository/DRC/DRFC_Id easBeforeDawn0206.pdf

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Boulevard is to the bridge, more of less, and I was talking the general vicinity.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Grand Boulevard is to the bridge, more of less, and I was talking the general vicinity.

I think the Conservancy says the same in some of their literature, perhaps because the bridge is a more recognizable landmark.

Here's another map showing the planning further downstream.
http://www.woodhavenmi.org/upl oads/pdf/16x20dlgi.pdf

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice an undocumented sewer line right underneath where heavy rail is, no vibrations there!!
hope they can cap it soon. Come Victor Mercado, get er dun!!
we weant the green way and a sweet ass Eastern Market ASAP!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bates Street Outfall is hardly an undocumented sewer line.

http://www.google.com/search?h l=en&q=Bates+Street+Outfall

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bates Street Outfall is hardly near the Dequindre Cut.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doop!!!

-Homer J Planner

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.