Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Now I Know Why Detroit is not Listed Under US Cities on Craigslist.org « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it was kind of odd that Detroit was not listed under US cities for Craigslist.org, so I decided to suggest it.
http://forums.craigslist.org/? forumID=1
I typed in Detroit, and I got to read gems like this.

quote:

Please add a city/better listing to Michigan <darkhalf> 08/28 07:06:36

Listing "Detroit Metro" covers such a HUGE area, yet you've broken down the other parts of MI with their own cities. Would you consider breaking up the "Detroit Metro" listing, so that it only matters to Wayne County, since that's where it's at? I'd suggest to define the tri-county area better as such: Oakland County -aka: either "Northern Suburbs", "Pontiac", or something of the like; Macomb County -aka: either "Utica", "Macomb", or "Sterling Heights".

There are a LOT of people that don't live anywhere near Detroit, that would like to post in these areas, but don't like having to share their placement with "Detroit". Detroit, the city, has a bad economy, an even worse reputation, and people make associations with that to the people that live and post there. It's a bad connotation to most of the people around here, being connected to Detroit.

Michigan would be better served if we had a bit more separation for each area on that side of the state. If you need any further assistance in defining these areas, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you.

Among others.

The main theme was that the area "Detroit Metro" was to big for craigslist. But another underlying theme was that the area is to big because our particular city is different from their particular city. Detroit sucks and we don't want to be associated with them on a faceless internet board. Bloomfield Hills is snobby, so they should have thier own board.

Now I know why the city of Detroit, which ranks tenth nationally in population, with the fifth largest metro population, in the eighth most populous state is the only major city out twenty-two possible slots not to be listed.

It's not listed because with all the divisiveness, bitterness, and hatred, it does not deserve to be listed.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares about craigslist ranking of D

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, they got rid of atlanta, dallas, and houston. three major cities. (atlanta being one of the original cities to have been added!)

but they DO have portland. who knows how the fuck they choose their primary cities, but however they do is pretty ridiculous.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they got rid of atlanta, dallas, and houston"

uh, no they didn't.

Portland is definitely a booming town with many urban supporters using it as a model of new urbanism if you haven't heard. Regional government, good public transportation, low crime, etc.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Craig a University of Michigan grad?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee. If we aren't listed on Craigslist, I don't think I want to live here anymore.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I'm having a nervous breakdown because our fair city isn't listed on Craigslist!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth is that craigslist.org is one of the most highly browsed websites on the World Wide Web. Michigan not having it's major city on the front page is not a good PR move at a time when Michigan and Detroit could both use all the good PR they can come across.

Then again, maybe you all not realizing this is symptomatic of the problem?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish we were on Craigslist, it is a great resource.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? I use it all the time.

www.detroit.craigslist.com

Doctors

Post Number: 719
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty, many people use craigslist Detroit all the time. But not having Detroit on the front page like Iheartthed said, is symptomatic of a major problem. A deficit of clout, IMO and maybe even respect.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cities listed on craigslist have a lot to do with the volume of listings coming out of those cities. I think I read somewhere that SF, Portland, and Seattle get the heaviest traffic. Detroit's listings are considerably slimmer. So, not having Detroit on the front page is a perceived slight - not an actual one.

What's more disconcerting is some of the posts from Detroiters, like this one:
quote:

det Please add Birmingham/Troy/Royal Oak to Michigan <tanniah> 2007-06-07 07:39:01
There is a huge difference between this swanky suburb and the city of Detroit. Birmingham is one of the richest zip codes in the US per person, yet searches for housing are mixed up with the HUGE number of listing in Detroit. It would be really useful if you could make this collection of yuppie suburbs into it's own section. Thanks!

Good god... What an ignorant snob.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigslist has 22 US cities where you can click from any city's homepage and directly go to that city. Detroit is currently not one of them (think it used to be). You have to click Michigan, then Detroit.

Just like the Cheesecake Factory thread, I got the 25 largest MSAs (Metro Areas) in America from Wikipedia and compared them to what cities are listed on Craigslist. Once again, Detroit is by far the largest MSA not to be listed (#10). The next were St. Louis (#18), Tampa (#19),Baltimore (#20),Pittsburgh (#22), Cleveland (#24), Cincinnati (#25).

Either we are such slack jawed computer illiterates that we hardly use Craigslist compared to all these much smaller cities (if we are not on there based upon usage, as one poster has suggested), or we are again getting a lack of recognition (in a good way), and being made absent (in a bad way).

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't talk about this anymore. Your making me upset...

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Divided we fall....

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's www.detroit.craigslist.org, fyi, not "com."

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But of course crime in the city and the residents is the sole reason that things are falling apart in southeast michigan....

SMDH

Rooms222

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The www.detroit.craigslist.com points to the detroit.craigslist.org

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares... its someones site and they can put up what they want.

As long as we can go to detroit.craigslist.org stop bitching... bookmark the page and move on.

Subterranean
Username: Subterranean

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one dude is absolutely correct. I complained about Detroit not being on the front page, time and time again. I finally got a response from craigslist saying that despite the fact that Detroit and the Metro are so large, they represent a mere fraction of the usage associated with smaller cities like Seattle and Portland.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't Craig a University of Michigan grad?

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C raig_Newmark

I think you're thinking of Larry Page of Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L arry_Page

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig Newmark did some graduate studies at Michigan. I'm not sure if he got a degree or not...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The president and CEO, Jim Buckmaster, did study at UofM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J im_Buckmaster

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are thinking of the dude from Google or Yahoo that went to UM

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was Jim Buckmaster. But I could have sworn that Craig Newmark had some association with the University.

Rooms222

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is his story in the form of a poem:

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2006/ 04/the_long_strang.html

Stayed in Ann Arbor for "sentimental reasons." Ran up big debts, yet was unable to make good money in Michigan. Loved public transit and unorthodox living, but was not getting credit for some very unique accomplishments(first in the world). Left Michigan out of desperation, and achieved incredible things......
Could this amazing story be close to home for many of us here.....

Also, does the pain of this area lead people to write us off when they get success elsewhere?

Are we all in denial of our potential by staying here?

Doctors

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I agree it's Craig's site and he can do what he wants, but Detroit needs to be on the front page.

Since Detroit is not on the front page we now have a chicken and egg situation in regards to the use of detroit.craigslist.org.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.