Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Monroe Block Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rivertowner
Username: Rivertowner

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone come across these images before? If so, I apologize for rehashing old news. If not...well, I guess that makes this new news.

http://www.eastriverfront.com/ ?p=204

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing that the Monroe Block was knocked down. Just in time for new development. Oops, I mean, just in time for a proposal for new development.

See, haters? Demolish it and they WILL build new. (Maybe. After 20-odd years. Eventually. Sorta.)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those renderings must be from a contest for the stupidest architectural design ever. It's simply ridiculous that someone would present that with a serious face.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's only your opinion.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, that's not a rendering of a building, that's a sculpture of a giant tornado.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then please share with us what aspects of the renderings you like, and how you think they compare/contrast to their surroundings.

Fury13

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be very cool to have a tornado sculpture downtown.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I was talking to rjljjrlj.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it--Detroit could use more of a Gehry influence, though the contrast is jarring. There's no way anyone will invest what it would take to replicate the prewar buildings in Detroit, but a less expensive building that at least looks interesting should be a fair compromise.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no need to replicate the past, but there's also no need to be absurd for absurdity's sake. The design isn't based on functionalism; it's based on, as you said, providing a jarring contrast, a rather juvenile impulse.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally like it. I hope it wouldn't be that dark and grey its a little depressing, but the shapes and forms flirt and contrast with the surroundings very nicely. It looks like it even has a green roof area.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please define how a building "flirts" with other buildings around it. Seriously.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I think it would be more absurd to replicate the past, but I do think contrast can work. I'm on the fence with the design; I like the curvilinear aspect, and it appears to be *green* conscious, but it seems more than a little busy. What in the world is it referencing (or channeling)? A steamship? It reminds me of that famous deco print of a ship from the film, I think called l'Atalante.

I just hope it doesn't become another Ren Cen.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with contrast, but it can be taken to ridiculous extremes for its own sake. A 20-story corn cob is a contrast, but it's also rather stupid.

All modern architecture is not great and edgy, and all shouldn't be lumped together. Some of it is simply stupid and self-indulgent.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Chicago's corn cob. I also agree that edgy does not equate with great.

We now have a Michael Graves *original* that I find the epitome of self-indulgence and is so literal; a total dumbing down of design.

Hockeyplayer, what style or architect would you like to see in place of the North Group "vision"?

Hockey_player

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no preference, nor would I presume to impose one. I'm merely being critical of the one presented in this thread.

There are innumerable options for that and other vacant locations. That one just happens to be awful.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for functionalism in architecture; it's the main issue I have with Wright's designs.

What exactly do you find so awful? I'm grateful that it doesn't mimic strip mall "design", and I must give them credit for being provocative though that alone does not a good design make.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't care for it but it reminds me of the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Funny how world class cities have architecture like this and thrive. Kind of reflects the forward thinking people that live there and run the city, while out city has lagged, resembles a 3rd world country and is about 50 years behind everyone else.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows, it could work. It kinda seems to fit into that spot. Downtown is such a crazy set of angles to begin with . . . and a project that made an architectural splash could mesh with the Riverwalk and other recent things to make downtown into a modest tourist draw. Maybe get a real summit of forward-thinking retailers and designers to get them in on the planning.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

World class cities, IMHO, thrive despite these hideous creations.

Maybe instead of trying to solve downtown's problems by building yet another building (what is the vacancy rate, anyway?) we could, you know, invest in the ones we already have?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...things to make downtown into a modest tourist draw

With what are we trying to draw tourists? Detroit is a minor convention town at best; we should focus on drawing in more residents first. The city focus on tourism seems ass backwards.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5441
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's a loathesome offensive brute... yet I can't look away!"

Actually it's too small for the site. It doesn't look more than 6 stories tall.

Sort of a cross between a Frank Gehry design and a Stephen King rendition of "The Old Lady Who Lives In A Shoe"! (Not trying to knock Frank Gehry, by the way.)

It's way too dark and foreboding looking.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 01, 2007)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

". . . focus on tourism seems ass backwards."

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Other cities that have suffered massive population loss (Cleveland, St. Louis) have strengthened their centers with attractions that are centered on interesting design. People from Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus visit nearby cities for the hell of it, but we miss out on most of that.

What draws people to Detroit now? Electronic music has drawn people from around the world. We're perceived to have talent in music, art, and design--something like this could draw it together. Downtown has always had sharp, innovative retail if you look for it, but it's been too spread-out and scattershot.

I would agree that if this became just another Greektown-type mall, it wouldn't work.

As for the size, I think another really tall building would tend to turn CM into a canyon. Dark and foreboding? Could be--hard to tell from those photos.

I'm not a super Frank Gehry fan, although he certainly helped turn Bilbao around. Guess I like the idea of a new building with retail that would be a real destination in that spot.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was kind of excited when One Kennedy Square went up, thinking how great it was that a new building was going in after so many years and on and on, but now when I see it I mostly notice how it covers up the Dime Building. Just the fact that a foundation is going in does not give cause for a parade. (Maybe I'll feel better about it when it has ground-floor tenants.)

The Monroe block is conspicuously barren, but what it needs is a building that is urbane. Shops should interface with the street and the exterior should be inviting. The monumental aspects are good for attraction, but it should be a place where you might want to have a coffee at an outdoor cafe, not just be awed and terrified by the gonna-crush-you monument up-close. There's so much gonna-crush-you cement brutality in the physical landscape downtown already between freeways, parking decks, and almost everything anywhere near the Civic Center that something truly warm would add to the series of recent good choices in the center of downtown.

And although mixed-use is generally a good idea, I'm wary of the all-in-one complex. The Millender Center, like a dollar-store Swiss Army knife, doesn't seem to be especially good at many of its numerous functions, for example.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please define how a building "flirts" with other buildings around it. Seriously"

- it plays with its hair and says the other building has a pretty facade. it then offers to buy the other building a drink...

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please define how a building "flirts" with other buildings around it. Seriously

In this case, it apparently shows off some curves.

Seriously though, I have a pretty open mind when it comes to architecture, and would like to see some newer designs on some of the empty lots, but this, quite frankly, is hideous. Maybe a clearer rendering would help, but i don't particularly think this sort of thing will work in Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3725
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe such a far-fetched idea has created this sort of stir.

Anyway, we could be one step closer to a Monroe Block development. Bank of America could be moving the regional HQ they're now inheriting from LaSalle from Troy to downtown (they're very urban-minded). There's no reason for them to build something on the Monroe Block, but they could very well purchase space in One Detroit or One Woodward, thus saturating the market a little more, and allowing future office demand to more likely be channeled towards new buildings on empty blocks.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember when alot of the monroe block buildings were up. i,m almost 40 now, they came down in my teens. maybe one day i,ll see buildings without boards on the windows. i remember the end of detroit as people knew it, the ghost town, and now the rebuilding deal. real estate=$ too much land to waste. even in detroit.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just seeing this for the first time...and I have to say this is about the most exciting thing I've seen regarding downtown developement...EVER.

I know deconstructivism is a bit old, but still great to see someone considering it for this project (or had considered I guess).

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Ghery wanna-be buildings

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2642
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reminds me of something from robocop

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Bagge depicted Gehry walking down an alley and looking at garbage, thinking, "Hmmmm, that little pile of rubbish gives me an idea."

Perfect.

Fury13

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's way too dark and foreboding looking."

Wow, Gistok, that's a perfect, concise description of Detroit. Good job! :-)

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon, those pictures aren't anywhere near good enough to make a reasonable judgement.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of off topic, but what ever happened to the decision that was supposed to be made about the Woodward block? Wasn't the developer supposed to submit some plans several months ago?

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish the renderings weren't so dark and of otherwise poor quality. Downtown architecture definitely needs to be cutting edge and turn heads. Downtown needs new and bold and different. Look to Chicago to see fine examples of original modern buildings but they also have many examples of mediocre or ever crap new buildings.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bold and different" for the sake of being bold and different is a nonstarter. This P.O.S. doesn't respect any sort of context or any of the buildings around it.

Just another sculpture posing as a building, from an architect with too big of an ego.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why are you guys getting so pissed off about this?

there is nothing to indicate that this is even a legitimate proposal for this block...someone drew a picture....dig f-ing deal!

I could superimpose a building modeled after a giant box of french fries into a picture of the monroe block and post it on the forum...so what? would you even give it a second look?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, could we at least see the rendering for Aqua Teen Hunger Force Plaza first? ;)

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The images are gone, but it flirts with the surrounding buildings, though the base, between the two "tornado" forms directly reflected the building top behind it, it had the exact same lines.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and they're gone.... interesting

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Images are still up over at urban planet

http://www.urbanplanet.org/for ums/Monroe-block-development-t 42306.html

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6630
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once a place of Vaudevilles and Burlesques now a just a street filled with stores and vacant National Theatre building and a miserable looking parking lot where the Kirkwood Hotel and Family Theatre once stood. The Monroe Block is now part of Downtown Detroit's PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember this?

Campus Martius Sketch

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun to think it's all there now, except for the Monroe Block.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the new crib Eric_c?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would have stuck with the plan for Cadillac Square Park and made it mostly grass as opposed to the sea of concrete that it is.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how it engages the street actively - - Not.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is too gothic......

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it does make some sense. We are in the Tornado Alley of Canada.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.