Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What doyou think about Fox2's 11 oclock news « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the verdict is still out for me...I still dont get the purpose...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To have more air time is all. It's the same reason they moved their original 11 PM news to 10 PM and have a 4 hour morning news. That's why I don't watch FOX 2. Even their new look to me is nothing but a cheap paint over.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who ever worked in broadcasting should know that the most profitable advertising time is attributable to news shows. Count the number of minutes for ads...

Contrast that with the paltry amount of ad time that an affiliate may get from the network during primetime. Maybe as little as a total of 72 seconds per hour--for local ads and two seconds for an ID.

See why now?

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People read too much into this, its a good lipstick job, thats it

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably cheaper than running Seinfeld. It's the same reason some tv stations will run news opposite Oprah.
Plus, they get to compete directly with the other stations at every newscast now.

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new woman reporter (Taryn Asher) sounds too much like Fran Drescher from "The Nanny" - her voice makes my skin crawl.

I couldn't listen to anything she was saying, I was too busy protecting my ears in cast she decided to laugh like Fran Drescher.

What gives, Fox2 spent so much on the set that they couldn't afford any normal sounding talent?

(Message edited by Falstaff on September 28, 2007)

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asher got that job because her boyfriend (Carr) works there and because she can party. I'm actually shocked to hear she got to that market.

Having worked in broadcasting in Michigan fairly recently, I'll tell you that there is a lot better talent out there.

(Message edited by lombaowski on September 28, 2007)

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new look is cheesy as hell!
expect nothing less straight outta southfield!

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOX 2 EDGE NEWS - TOTALLY RADICAL TO THE MAXX! IN YOUR FACE FOR A NEW MILLENIUM (enium...enium...enium...) YOU'VE GOT A WHOLE COUCH, BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED... THE *EDGE* (edge...edge...edge...) [explosions and car crashes]

Falstaff

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taryn - sounds like Fran
Asher - sounds like Drescher

Do you see what they did? This newscast is just "The Nanny" updated to 2007 and placed on a newscast. You know Nanny meets "Back to You"

Deja vu all over again!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falstaff

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like explosions and car crashes. On the other hand, I never enjoyed watching "The Nanny"!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are probably using their 10pm leverage to eat into the 11pm ratings. They probably figure it's more likely for you to catch some part of their 10pm news and stay through the 11pm news.

Primetime TV is the most profitable advertising time, btw. Spots in primetime TV on major networks go for 5 to 10 times what a spot on a local news program would...

Has Fox 2 adopted the Good Day format yet for it's morning show?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooh i love that JPEG!

Falstaff

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a ways to go before they will beat 7, much less 4 @ 11PM

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. Now I REALLY miss Bonds . . .

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats hilarious JL.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha thanks. That newscast cracks me up. I love the Steven Bochco-esque "shakey camera" stuff. As though there are no mounted cameras in that studio. PLEASE! I like Fox's morning newscast, but now my poor morning friends seem out of place amongst that slick new set. Alan Lee's conspiracy theories about the oil companies and Ben and Jackie's constant teasing of each other don't seem to fit right in that studio.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're just too cheap to purchase syndicated shows like the others stations do. I know they only get what's leftover in the syndication pool (compared to NBC, CBS and ABC affiliates), but still, they could find something to show.

I like how WDIV, WWJ, WKBD, WMYD and WXYZ syndicates the national shows people love to fit their local schedules (Dr. Phil was tranferred to WWJ for Rachael Ray while Maury and Jerry Springer was transferred to WMYD so WDIV could add news shows to their schedule). It's like WJBK just doesn't do that.

Falstaff

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched again. Not impressed. Perkins deserves better.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

watch the nanny show with the sound muted, Fran is hot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.