Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » GM River East Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have there been new River East developments? There was a thread on the project about a year ago, but i cannot recall seeing any new information for some time.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Asian Village up to Belle Isle there are many underway.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the opening of a new section of the Riverwalk in that area.

(Message edited by bob on June 15, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Gmich is refering to the residential/retail complex that GM was planning to build on the surface lot immediately east of the Ren Cen...

I tried to find info on this not too long ago and all I could find was that they selected the developer back in January of 2006...

http://www.downtowndetroit.org /ddp/images/housing/River_East -1.jpg

http://www.downtowndetroit.org /ddp/images/housing/River_East -2.jpg

this is from the DDP website:

River East
On January 19, 2006, General Motors announced that it had reached a preliminary agreement with Detroit River East Partners, LLC (DREP) to develop the River East project.

The River East development consists of approximately 13 acres along the Detroit River, immediately east of the GM Renaissance Center. Plans for development include mixed-use commercial, residential, retail, office, entertainment and special use opportunities.

and this is from Model D:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/rivereast.aspx

other than that, doesn't seem like there been any movement on this one

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 746
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk by there and always wonder what they'll do with this land. They already have pathways from riverwalk to where this development would go, but seems to be at a standstill. Asian Village doesn't seem to be finishing up either. Parking garage has been done for months now but the street-level shops are still bare. Did they run out of money on this project?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did they run out of money on this project?"

I just assumed they couldn't find any tenants...it looks like it's been completed for a while

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mesirow Stein & Morningside both have pretty deep pockets, so money isn't an issue. My bet is they want to phase it in with the other proposed project so as to not flood the market

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked by Asian Village a week ago. There were no workers on site. That usually means one of two things. A permit problem or a cash problem. There has been plenty of time to complete the project given how long ago the build-out started. Summertime and the opening of the River Walk provide all kinds of visibility and an opportunity to develop customer base. It's not good to still be under construction.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5643
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Rb336.

GM chose Wesirow and Morningside for a few parcels, I belive, in GM's RiverEast plan a year back, or so. I'd imagine GM is taking its time to see what unfolds. Both are major Chicago development/real estate companies, I believe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.