Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Interurban trains « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm a boomer. I remember in the early '70s (I THINK I can remember the early '70s)there were still single-car, center-engine interurban-style rail vehicles that ran between Chelsea and Detroit daily. They may have gone as far west as Jackson, and ran on what is now the Amtrak route, which is currently CSX track, I think. I recall that the trains stopped in Ann Arbor and Ypsi along the way. Does anyone remember them and have any details? I vaguely recall that they stopped this service about 1974 or 1975.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no information for you, but I'd be willing to bet Charles Hyde of Wayne State's History department would be willing to talk your ear off about that. He's the History of Michigan expert there, and is quoted in newspapers from time to time. Great professor, great guy. If you're that curious, look him up on WSU's website and mail him.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These were stainless steel RDC's (Rail Diesel Car), which operated on the New York Central (by the 1970's Penn-Central), which were built in Detroit's Budd Company's Red Lion, Pennsylvania outside Philadelphia.

They were used were traffic density did not justify locomotive pulled passenger trains and were used throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Bob Cosgrove

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amtrak did operate a non-RDC commuter train (The Michigan Executive) from Detroit to Jackson in the '70s.

By the way, the Budd Company was headquartered in Philadelphia from its founding until 1972, when the HQ moved to Troy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.